People my age that I don't know look really old

I have noticed that “post COVID” as we return to in-person activities many of my friends and acquaintances look much older.
In the past month I’ve attended social club dinners and a golf outing seeing many people in person who I haven’t seen since before the pandemic. Besides looking “old” many seem to have gained a lot of weight. This obviously isn’t good health wise. I’m sure that many stopped exercising during COVID and it shows.

Not to say I’m so fit and healthy but many of these long-time friends commented to me that I “looked good” which I was grateful to hear. At the golf outing someone even questioned why I was hitting from the Senior tees (for those 65 and older).
I have been able to maintain a pretty regular exercise routine with my Peloton bike and workout classes. Perhaps that makes the difference.

I read somewhere recently that if you knew someone when they were younger, your mind still sees some of the youthfulness in them. That definitely explains my perception when I meet someone new vs someone I've known for a long time.

I find that being true and the way I have experienced aging in people I have known all my life.

Amethyst said, it best. The trick is not to aim to look younger, but to look better.

Rue McClanahan was 51 years old when the Golden Girls went on the air.
Carroll O'Connor was my age (mid-forties) when All In The Family first aired.
I find everyone I see on TV looks "older than me" and when I find out they were a similar age at the time, my mind freezes and can't process.

Being a big AITF fan, I have watched it a lot the last few years when it aired at decent hours (now it airs at midnight on AntennaTV, too late for me). When I realized that O'Connor was my age but now I am a few years older than he was (I am 59 now), even when the show was in its later years, I was stunned.

I am now the same age my mom was when she passed away (she was a month shy of 60). She always looked young for her age, until cancer and its brutal treatments quickly put at least 10 years on her. She wore a wig a lot so her hair looked unchanged from her pre-cancer days. While that helped, her face still added some years back.

At least I inherited the hair gene from my mom's side, even if I see a growing minority of it turned grey when I am in the barber chair. My dad was already balding by his 50s, while my mom's dad still had most of his hair by the time he passed away at 94. My brother wasn't as lucky, and at 54 he is losing a lot of his hair.

Being a big AITF fan, I have watched it a lot the last few years when it aired at decent hours (now it airs at midnight on AntennaTV, too late for me). When I realized that O'Connor was my age but now I am a few years older than he was (I am 59 now), even when the show was in its later years, I was stunned.

Sometimes it is the role and how they want one to look for a TV show. Carroll O'Conner seemed younger in the "In the Heat of the Night" TV series in the late 80s/early 90s than he did in AITF.

The older I get (60 now) the more I appreciate my fitness. I have far too many friends with no energy whose best days seem to be behind them.

Getting old sucks, getting old while overweight and out of shape sucks even more.

Starting to use an indoor walking track - FREE!!. Much better than driving to the mall. It's laid out so that you can tell exactly how far you have traveled. Nicely air conditioned (chilly when you go in but nice during the walk.) YMMV

Back
Top Bottom