People my age that I don't know look really old

A lot of people I have known since primary school have grown taller, put on weight, and lost their hair. So I guess that makes them look old.

Those Yahoo "memory from ten years ago" things they serve me are kind of annoying, especially the ones that were already memories from ten years before that! That guy has much more hair, and it's dark. And the 2-year-old he's holding turns 30 next month.

Rue McClanahan was 51 years old when the Golden Girls went on the air.
Carroll O'Connor was my age (mid-forties) when All In The Family first aired.
I find everyone I see on TV looks "older than me" and when I find out they were a similar age at the time, my mind freezes and can't process.

I believe DH sees me through rose colored glasses - and he remains the most handsome man in my world. :rolleyes:

I will say, I am near sighted. I call it soft focus. :LOL: It is very forgiving and I don't look in the mirror wearing glasses - and - I am NOT brave enough to use a 10x makeup mirror that so many ladies enjoy.

I have a mirror in our bathroom, the light is up and behind on the ceiling. I thought I looked good! I went to my daughters house and the lights are on both sides of the mirror, man, I need some work! :facepalm:

I don't worry too much about how my face shows age, but where I focus most is in my lower back and hips. Watching someone elses gait and agility as they age is also very interesting and can be shocking.

That, and the way everyone's head juts forward between their shoulders, like a turtle peering out of its shell. It's called kyphosis. I wonder if it was as common in the days before computers?

I don't worry too much about how my face shows age, but where I focus most is in my lower back and hips. Watching someone elses gait and agility as they age is also very interesting and can be shocking.

When seeing myself in the morning mirror I look 40ish. When I see myself in a photo I look like I'm in my late 70's.:( In a couple of weeks I will be 68.

I'm glad I read through the thread before posting. I see this too. In the mirror, maybe 45. In the car window as I go to open the door, or on the Walmart security camera: 65 at least. I'll be 65 in a matter of weeks. I am not able to get a clear assessment of my posture and gait however. They also contribute to how "old" a person comes across to others. I do try to maintain a brisk pace and stand straight in public. Presents a less vulnerable looking target.

Yeah, I go back and forth on thinking I look younger than my age but also realizing I've aged a lot lately. I'm still mostly dark hair - think Ronald Reagan - but it is thinning. I think I would visually age quickly if I lost weight. So, do I lose weight and live longer or eat what I want, die young(er) and leave a good looking corpse? YMMV

+1

Sobering to look at my 1965 HS yearbook and note how many of my classmates are gone - and most of the deceased are guys.
I was also in the class of 1965. We had a very small school. Only 34 in our class and only ten have passed away. Probably about average though.

Whenever I mention to DW about not wanting to look too old, she gives me "that look" and responds "tell me, WHO exactly are you trying to look younger for:confused:" :)

Despite gray hair, I still look enough of my younger self to have had 3 people who had not seen me in 35-45 years recognize me in a shopping mall, airport, and social event (though in 2 cases they were aided by hearing my voice, which can be deep and distinctive).

I am fortunate I still have a "bold" walk (as a few friends have said) and can move around with no issue. DW and I went dancing at a recent concert featuring a 70s-80s-90s dance music, and we did not leave the dance floor for almost 2 hours. A couple of "younger" women came up to me afterwards and said they loved watching me dance... DW's later comment was "Part of me was grateful for their admiration, part of me wanted to go beat them up!" :)

DW still looks 15-20 years younger than her age. Wearing "date night" attire without me around would still get her "hit on" by men. One of the blessings in her genes is that her family does not get wrinkles. Her sisters and brother also look younger than their age. Her Dad died at 70, but he had a full head of black hair and could still pass for 50. Her mom is 91 and folks have remarked she looks like she is in her 70s.

My oldest brother is 72, the same age that our father was when he died. He looks a lot younger than our father did at that age. But that might also be the effect mentioned since we have grown up together, whereas I always saw my Dad as older.

Was one the nicest compliments DW and I received were from the daughters of a friend. They are in their 20s and sing in a jazz/r&B band; we have gone to their concerts. They said "when we are singing and we see you two dancing, we feel great. You two may be older in age but you're so young at heart!" See, not everything is wrong with this young generation :LOL:.

Was one the nicest compliments DW and I received were from the daughters of a friend. They are in their 20s and sing in a jazz/r&B band; we have gone to their concerts. They said "when we are singing and we see you two dancing, we feel great. You two may be older in age but you're so young at heart!" See, not everything is wrong with this young generation :LOL:.

Just seeing young folks without i-phones in their hands will give me a little hope for them. YMMV

That, and the way everyone's head juts forward between their shoulders, like a turtle peering out of its shell. It's called kyphosis. I wonder if it was as common in the days before computers?

Poor posture for sure, not sure about computers as cause for heads tilting forward, but sarcopenia is definitely something to avoid when getting up in years. Resistance training does pay off if you keep it up consistently, and is especially important for seniors.

Probably partly that and partly a more sedentary lifestyle that leads to it starting earlier. I'm 60 and in the minority among my friends who work out. I've said this here before...I'm in bands with guys my age who are incapable of carrying a 60 pound PA speaker up or down a flight of stairs.

I look at the mirror, and I have no gray hair, nothing bald - it makes me look 35, then I see some 10-12 white hair on my moustache - that makes me look 40s lol, so I cut it out and I'm young again :) If I take a selfie, I also look young. But if my DW takes a picture, I always look funny. On the DMV and passport pics, those cameras make me look a bit more chubby as they just capture your entire face only without the neck. Oh well, don't worry, be happy!

We just visited old friends we hadn't seen in nearly a year (the disadvantage of living 5000 miles from your home town.) Both my wife and I thought the lady (age 69) looked younger and her hair was much nicer than we recalled. My DW eventually complimented the lady on her hair style and the lady revealed that she was wearing a wig. She had gone to a wig shop which has been around our home town as long as I can recall. She found a wig at half price and it fit and suited her well. The difference was stunning. YMMV

If you feel old, it shows in your posture, attitude, and facial expressions. I think wrinkles have little to do with how old you look to others.

I met this spunky little lady on my walk a few days ago. She commented on my 100 lb. labrador. She looked old at first then our conversation got going. She looked younger and younger as we talked. Her wrinkles melted away. Her eyes and enthusiasm were those of a twenty year old.

Makes sense. And then there is the situation where I met someone that shared my birthday, including year. First time I had knowingly met anyone exactly my age. I was really surprised at how old they appeared - and that was over 30 years ago!

So you met them when you were 9. Same for me (and Jack Benny). Always and forever.

-BB

What gets my attention is the list of the deceased students of my Class of 1968.

There's entirely too many of my close friends that didn't make it until about 70 years. And we're not talking about hard living people here.
I look on the obits often to make sure I'm not on that list, so far so good!

+1. I remember my grandparents hands - how old they looked when they were in their late 60’s. Now my hands look the same at about the same age.
I relate to that as well Ronstar. My freckles have grown into large age spots, and my skin is very crepey.
+1

Sobering to look at my 1965 HS yearbook and note how many of my classmates are gone - and most of the deceased are guys.
I have been to way to many visitations at the funeral home and been pall bearer too much.

I was class of 1970, DW was 1971, I was 6'6'', 160 lbs, she was 5'4'',98lbs. Now I'm 250 lbs abd she is 106lbs. I wanted to marry her as soon as I graduated,but I promised her Dad I would wait till she graduated too since she would be the 1st of her family to do so. She graduated on her birthday 6/02/1971 & we married 6/18/1971. Now I'm old and fat and she is still the beautiful girl that stole my heart walking down the hall as a freshman. I realize that I have been and am truly blessed to have been able to live my life for this long and to have her by my side.

If you feel old, it shows in your posture, attitude, and facial expressions. I think wrinkles have little to do with how old you look to others.

I met this spunky little lady on my walk a few days ago. She commented on my 100 lb. labrador. She looked old at first then our conversation got going. She looked younger and younger as we talked. Her wrinkles melted away. Her eyes and enthusiasm were those of a twenty year old.

I have to say this is my observation as well. The years seem not to be noticed at all when you meet someone like that. I also found that the older I get the more attractive older people seem when they are well presented in their dress, posture, attitude and zest for life. The wrinkles really do not matter. I refuse to get anything done to my face (mostly out of fear I will look artificial, puffy, shiny and stretched like many older women trying to look young again; just doesn’t seem to work).

That old guy in the bathroom mirror is a shocker so early in the morning when I am first trying to wake up.

Cheers!

Well, I'm getting there - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do what we can to slow the aging process. I'm working at that - I have a lot I still want to do in this life. If the Lord takes me soon so be it, but I don't want to just roll over & quit. Blessings to you all. 🙂

The trick is not to aim to look younger, but to look better.

When we notice that artificial look, it means the person picked the cheapest provider, or pushed the provider to do too much (probably against advice).

I. I refuse to get anything done to my face (mostly out of fear I will look artificial, puffy, shiny and stretched like many older women trying to look young again; just doesn’t seem to work).

We are all aging. So if you see someone you saw last year. You will see them a little older. Diet, exercise and sleep is key to look young.

Last edited:
I look on the obits often to make sure I'm not on that list, so far so good!

I actually saw my obit one day. I was about 35 and saw my exact name in the obit. page. The actual Ko'olau was only 47! It was a wake up call to enjoy the now. YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom