Personal Domains With E-mail

rk911

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
we've been using Google e-mail forever along with MS Outlook as our e-mail client. we use 10 different @gmail.com addresses for various functions...friends & family, online shopping, forums, finance and banking and so on. google just announced that as of may 30th they are dropping support for "less secure 3rd party apps" and our version of Outlook will no longer be supported.

i do not want to upgrade Outlook or use G-Mail as a client as I have an extensive list of Outlook rules used to sort the incoming mail. so I'm looking to establish our own domain and create the email addresses we need. i've been searching the web and am considering GoDaddy. $1.99 per month with unlimited email aliases. we don't need storage since everything resides on our PC.

is anyone here using a personal domain/e-mail? looking for suggestions. thanks.

I use google domains at $12/year. I don't know if that works with an older version of Outlook.

I use google domains at $12/year. I don't know if that works with an older version of Outlook.

just chatted with Google domains. they couldn't answer the question and referred me to their business division. least expensive plan there is $24 p/y. but the tech said that all email is in thr google space so very likely our version of OL would not be supported.

thanks for the suggestion.

What version of Outlook do you have? 2016 and newer should be able to use OAuth2 to log in, and 2013 supposedly has the ability if you add some registry entries to turn it on. If these can't be used, the less secure method is to set up app passwords in Google (auto-generated 16 characters). As far as I know, Google is not removing that ability.

2010. google announcement says OL2019 or better. but not interested in changing at this time.

I am using Thunderbird with pop gmail , guess I will have to switch to imap if I want to keep using gmail.

Isn't it possible to download and save your Outlook email rules and apply them to a newer version of Outlook?

google's message.

Less secure apps & your Google Account
To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, ​​Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

Please note this deadline does not apply to Google Workspace or Google Cloud Identity customers. The enforcement date for these customers will be announced on the Workspace blog at a later date.

For more information, please continue reading.

Special Note on Apple Device Sign-Ins. Users who have not recently signed into their Google Account using only username and password will be able to only make new sign in attempts using the Google account type starting from February 28, 2022. Existing users may continue to sign into their Google Account using their username and password until May 30, 2022.

If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.

maybe but it was a pregnant dog porting them over to OL2010 when we switched to Win10. so far it looks like godaddy.com fits the bill.

2010. google announcement says OL2019 or better. but not interested in changing at this time.
App passwords set up under your Google account should still work. To my knowledge, they are not what is being referred to in the announcement as being phased out. What's being phased out is using your regular password with less secure apps, which could compromise your entire Google account.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

I own a number of domains and use my own emails.

I use Ionos.com as they provide for free domain ownership privacy. Years ago GoDaddy charged $10/domain for that.

The fun thing about having my domain is I can accept anything as an email address (within reason) sent to my domain, and have set up wildcards to redirect them to an email I look at.
So I'm at a store (example Home Depot ) and they want my email address I can tell them HomeDepot@mydomain.com (Note: mydomain.com is not the name of my domain).

The fun thing about having my domain is I can accept anything as an email address (within reason) sent to my domain, and have set up wildcards to redirect them to an email I look at.
So I'm at a store (example Home Depot ) and they want my email address I can tell them HomeDepot@mydomain.com (Note: mydomain.com is not the name of my domain).

That's a nice idea. It would also make it clear who gave your email address away if you begin receiving spam mail from other places and could simply delete that email address.

When I checked (years ago), they couldn't do blind forwarding, you would have to manually set up every forwarding address before you gave it out. Is Google doing blind forwarding now? Their landing page says you can have "up to 100 aliases". And I'm not recommending my hosting provider (MyHosting.com) because I am looking to move, despite the blind forwarding, they're...not great.

I have never looked at blind forwarding, but it's probably been a couple of decades that we have maintained a private domain name through our small local ISP. DW and I have email addresses @mydomain and I can set up others if I want to. I also have a gmail address which I use for most internet business-type communications like Home Depot. This setup has worked for DW and me.

That's a nice idea. It would also make it clear who gave your email address away if you begin receiving spam mail from other places and could simply delete that email address.

It does tell me who let my email loose in the wild.
Because I wanted total flexibility, I basically tell the mail server, I'll accept any mail *@mydomain.com where * is the wildcard. And then send it to "everything@mydomain.com" mail address.

This allows me to make up email addresses on the fly, but the downside is I can't block them at the server level. I have to have it sent to my client email where I can set a rule to auto delete the email.

So each mail client (desktop, laptop, phone) has to have it's own set of rules.

What version of Outlook do you have? 2016 and newer should be able to use OAuth2 to log in, and 2013 supposedly has the ability if you add some registry entries to turn it on.
I use Thunderbird with OAuth2 as authentication method so I guess I'm good to go.

I own a number of domains and use my own emails.

I use Ionos.com as they provide for free domain ownership privacy. Years ago GoDaddy charged $10/domain for that.

that's exactly what i want to explore. are you using an e-mail client? does Ionos support 3rd party clients like Outlook?

I do as well, but I haven't succeeded in getting my wife off Outlook yet.

i love Outlook as we use it's calendar for everything. i have the OL calendar linked to the google calendar of my primary google ID which is interfaced with our iOS calendars in our iPhones and iPad (using CompanionLink). that won't be affected since CompanionLink connects to the google using the OAUTH token and is thefore secure. i set up my buddy's email usimg T-Bird and did not like the rules set up but the lack of an embedded calendar was the primary reason I rejected T-Bird.

I've had my own domain names since the AOL days.

It's probably not worth the effort. For one thing, when giving someone your e-mail address, it's easier to say "at gmail" than to spell your domain name out.

That said, I still use my own domain as a primary e-mail. I have a handful of gmail accounts for specific purposes, and check them all using Thunderbird (via IMAP). Lots of web sites and apps use these accounts for authentication.

This change is going to be brutal for me. I've always felt Google's security was over the top. They regularly lock me out of I try to log on from a different IP address. What part of "mobile device" don't they understand?

that's exactly what i want to explore. are you using an e-mail client? does Ionos support 3rd party clients like Outlook?

We use Thunderbird on Linux and Windows. Also have used Microsoft mail.
On the cell phone which is Android, we use blue mail. I'm pretty sure we have used Outlook as well.

I tend to use pop mail settings for setting up the receive and send settings.

They also have a web based access to the email, which I rarely use, but it allows a mail account user to login to their email , can read/send/delete emails etc.

Best to ask them details of usage of the client you want to use to be sure.

They did once auto-sign me up for a service they were offering, and since they bill every 6 months, it was a while before I saw the extra charge. They did refund me the price and take it off, but it did reduce the trust I have in them not to pull a fast one on me. Other than that, I've used them for over a decade, they were 1and1.com previously.

Last edited:
Yes, we bought a personal domain > 20 years ago, and use it for emails, etc. Over the years we have used a couple of different companies to provide us email and other services related to our domain. I like our setup and not using some large “free” service. We don’t mind paying for what we want.

I don’t really understand the OP’s logic here. The reason Google has done this is to improve security for people using their services. It seems counterintuitive to avoid improving upgraded security for what? The price of upgrading to a newer mail client? Copies of newer versions of Outlook are definitely cheaper than having an identity theft incident or other type of security breach.

The time and effort to move to a different email hosting domain just to retain the use of an older client seems a bit strange to me. Plus - I’ve used every version of Outlook since it was introduced and the inbox rules have come along just fine during upgrades. They can even be exported and imported.

I’d strongly recommend using the latest transport security. Period.

... It seems counterintuitive to avoid improving upgraded security for what? The price of upgrading to a newer mail client? ...
Not counterintuitive to me at all. Changing mail client is almost 100% guaranteed to be a PITA. Probability of a breach because of not upgrading is tiny. 0.0001%? I don't know, but I evaluate it as nearly negligible. I am running Tbird and if accommodating this new Google thing looks like a hassle I will try to duck it.

I just finished my 3rd or 4th re-reading of Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking Fast and Slow." One of the things he talks about is how we humans typically overestimate tiny risks. Evolution didn't program us to intuitively grasp probabilities.

Not counterintuitive to me at all. Changing mail client is almost 100% guaranteed to be a PITA. Probability of a breach because of not upgrading is tiny. 0.0001%? I don't know, but I evaluate it as nearly negligible. I am running Tbird and if accommodating this new Google thing looks like a hassle I will try to duck it.

I just finished my 3rd or 4th re-reading of Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking Fast and Slow." One of the things he talks about is how we humans typically overestimate tiny risks. Evolution didn't program us to intuitively grasp probabilities.

Per this blog, it looks pretty easy. I haven't done it yet.

https://www.joho.se/2020/01/28/using-thunderbird-with-gmail-and-oauth2/

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom