Photo or avatar on Net - Why should it matter?

Think an avatar can represent one's reality in ways an actual photo cannot.
Like mine. I chose it because of a childhood nickname. I don't have a photo of myself in digital format, and don't know if I'd post it if I did.

(snip)Facebook is not an anonymous site. You use your real name, and for the most part you only communicate with former or present friends, co-workers and family. You can control who sees your information... although that isn't always as easy as it should be.

Can't speak fo everyone but I often get emails or notifications that say "Sherri (Jones) McBride wants to be your friend. Confirm?" (snip)
No Facebook for me. I've never figured out the "why" of it. Maybe it's an Introvert/Extravert thing. I've only gotten a few of those "so & so wants to be your friend" but never from anybody I actually know. In fact all so far have come from people who from their names are probably halfway around the world. I have no idea where they get my name.

I just turned off the avatars and signature displays because some can be annoying. For instance, if someone chooses a very good looking face as an avatar or a photo of an expensive possession, this colors my perception of their post(s). Needless noise, IMHO.

Interesting....when I see a picture of someone as their avatar - I immediately assume it is not them. Not sure why, I guess it is because every other site I am on, no one uses their own picture.

Despite having seen pictures of him numerous times, in my mind Haha is a black musician. Avatars become reality on the intertubes. :LOL:

I never could think of an avatar I liked so I use photos doing something I like. Used to be me on a windsurfer since that was once my favorite pass-time. But now it is me under my bike helmet because that is where I usually am these days.

Edit: oops, wrong forum - that one is on bikeforums.net. This one is a picture at my weekend house where I am when I am not biking :)

if someone chooses a very good looking face as an avatar or a photo of an expensive possession, this colors my perception of their post(s). Needless noise, IMHO.

While I can't say that I understand this line of thinking, it is interesting to learn that someone feels this way. Posting a pretty face, expensive item, or a picture of a beautiful landscape, just tells me that people like nice things. Not sure how it could serve to make the content of their posts any more or less compelling.

Although I do find I get hungry every time I see kyounge's chocolate chip cookies :LOL:

Amethyst

I just turned off the avatars and signature displays because some can be annoying. For instance, if someone chooses a very good looking face as an avatar or a photo of an expensive possession, this colors my perception of their post(s). Needless noise, IMHO.
Yet you have an avatar pic and a sig line....? :LOL:

Why show my face? On the Internet I'm 6'3" and have a full head of hair. No reason to post my real picture and shatter that illusion. :)

But, but, but you already posted your photo. And by the way, welcome back, from wherever you have been the last few days.

Dang! I should have kept up my insistence that I looked like the "King of Cool", but with dark hair. With time, that would sow the seed of the image into readers' mind.

I screwed up! :(

But, but, but you already posted your photo. And by the way, welcome back, from wherever you have been the last few days.
Well, my cover is blown here. But I guess after 18+ years of happy marriage I don't really need to viciously guard the 6'3" and not bald myth. :)

I was in England. Liverpool, to be more specific, with a *long* day trip to York and their Railway Museum and York Minster thrown in for good measure.

Never hit 75 there -- for a Texan in the summer, that's basically paradise...

Last edited:
I never wanted to post a personal picture. Maybe I'm too sensitive to what I think others might think of my looks. Who knows? I admit that I like to see photos of posters as it makes them come to life for me. Yet, I love most of the avatars here and I agree that they are a window to the soul, so pictures aren't needed, but would be welcomed. I agree that avatars are as recognizable as names for many of you folks. (Come to think of it, most of our names aren't really our names, are they?)

On our small island, I keep expecting to run into Nords as I know what he looks like. I'm sure we've been to the same stores and other places at one time or another. With his picture in my mind, I'm sure I'd recognize him. Still, would I speak? Don't know. I usually think people have to earn the right to show familiarity to others. I would feel uncomfortable walking up to a celebrity on the street and acting as if I knew them just because I had seen their body of work, for instance.

So, for now, I'll remain relatively anonymous.

I never wanted to post a personal picture. Maybe I'm too sensitive to what I think others might think of my looks. Who knows? I admit that I like to see photos of posters as it makes them come to life for me. Yet, I love most of the avatars here and I agree that they are a window to the soul, so pictures aren't needed, but would be welcomed. I agree that avatars are as recognizable as names for many of you folks. (Come to think of it, most of our names aren't really our names, are they?)

On our small island, I keep expecting to run into Nords as I know what he looks like. I'm sure we've been to the same stores and other places at one time or another. With his picture in my mind, I'm sure I'd recognize him. Still, would I speak? Don't know. I usually think people have to earn the right to show familiarity to others. I would feel uncomfortable walking up to a celebrity on the street and acting as if I knew them just because I had seen their body of work, for instance.

So, for now, I'll remain relatively anonymous.

Interesting point, Koolau. FWIW, the folks whose photos I've seen here pretty well matched up with the mental picture I'd formed of them; no real surprises.

As for running into someone else from the FIRE forum out in the real world, should the ignore button work in real life, too? :D

Interesting point, Koolau. FWIW, the folks whose photos I've seen here pretty well matched up with the mental picture I'd formed of them; no real surprises.

As for running into someone else from the FIRE forum out in the real world, should the ignore button work in real life, too? :D

Heh, heh, heh. Good one, Westernskies! Haven't checked to see who's "ignore" list I'm on. Maybe I don't want to know.:(

Actually, I'm sure I'd love to meet most of you folks. It's just that our introductions have been electronic and not experiential. Maybe that changes the dynamic.

On our small island, I keep expecting to run into Nords as I know what he looks like. I'm sure we've been to the same stores and other places at one time or another. With his picture in my mind, I'm sure I'd recognize him.

Interestingly enough, I have thought about that -- even that you, certainly, would have searched each other out. What a strange thing an imagination is.

Yet you have an avatar pic and a sig line....? :LOL:

Guilty as charged. Some people like to look at 'em, so I put it out there. I don't like to look at them, so I don't.

Umm...I don't understand this statement, although I parsed it several times. Care to elaborate? Serious about what? Time to do what? (I do hope this isn't one of those "If you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you" moments, with which I am so drearily familiar in life).

It's my Facebook account, and my silly rules. I also block or un-friend people that become tiresome about religion or politics. Reminds me why they are former friends.............

Time to do what? Set up an account. Put information in your profile. Post a little. it's a social network. if you are uncomfortable with that, or worried that someone may steal your identity, then it's not the place for you.

I also block or un-friend people that become tiresome about religion or politics.
Preach it!

I don't understand the obsession with people posting partisan politics on FB. I mean, unless you have a political "litmus test" for friendship there, why constantly piss off half of your "friends" by making them feel like they are stupid or evil politically? I have no desire to alienate "friends" with that crap.

I haven't seen much religion, either from folks popping you over the head with a Bible (or the Torah or the Koran or whatever else) or from militant atheists. But politics? Yeah, big problem. I've blocked a few folks from my wall because they can't shut up about divisive politics.

While it hasn't been mentioned, Twitter is between an anonymous board like this, and the very personal Facebook.

Twitter expects you to use a handle and avatar, but you approve the people that are "following" you, or that you follow.

I follow a handful of people there. All of them are involved in a sport I enjoy.

Oh! I see what you meant, now.

Winger will not approve of this, but I use an avatar and a pseudonym on Facebook, too (different from the ones I use here...I love variety), and the people I've be-friended all understand. (If I did not think they'd understand, I would not have approached them).

Some of them do go on a bit about P&R (politics and religion) but I accept that. It is part of who those friends are, and I would not change them. They are "there" for me, whether or not I agree with their P&R views.

It's my Facebook account, and my silly rules. I also block or un-friend people that become tiresome about religion or politics. Reminds me why they are former friends.............

Time to do what? Set up an account. Put information in your profile. Post a little. it's a social network. if you are uncomfortable with that, or worried that someone may steal your identity, then it's not the place for you.

I agree that there are many online that want to remain anon for many varied reasons... i too admit I like it when they use a picture of themselves but I don't as of now... my moniker is from a book I loved by Edward Abbey and my avatar represents the one of the most amazing things I have seen in my life while on a french ship in the waters off of antarctica... so although it is not a picture of me it represents a part of me...

My forum name is "rescueme". My picture shows the latest dog that we obtained from our local rescue (Shetland Sheepdog) organization.

Simple enough, don't you think? :whistle: ...

No Facebook for me. I've never figured out the "why" of it. Maybe it's an Introvert/Extravert thing. I've only gotten a few of those "so & so wants to be your friend" but never from anybody I actually know. In fact all so far have come from people who from their names are probably halfway around the world. I have no idea where they get my name.
Yeah, same here. I value my anonymity on the internet. Facebook is just too personal and I get the impression it appeals more to extroverts. We do have some personal web sites to share with family and friends, but don't ever link them to public forums.

Audrey

Yeah, same here. I value my anonymity on the internet. Facebook is just too personal and I get the impression it appeals more to extroverts. We do have some personal web sites to share with family and friends, but don't ever link them to public forums.

Audrey
Add me to the list :whistle: ...

I'm sure it certainly has a draw for extroverts, young folks (especially singles), and family.

Since I don't share in that realm, I don't want/need to participate...

Back
Top Bottom