Are you married or unmarried?

• Married

Votes: 139 67.5%
  • Unmarried

Votes: 65 31.6%
  • Unmarried but engaged to be married, with a date set

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
You need papers/governmental blessing or does action count louder?

There are a lot of societal and governmental benefits that accrue to those with the "papers/government blessing" as any gay couple will tell you. My partner (now fiance) and I have only been able to legally wed for about three years and are now making our plans. Trust me, it's very difficult if not impossible to duplicate the benefits of marriage via other legal documents. Here are a few of the some 1500+ items that legal marriage confers on a couple:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclop...urce=cj&utm_content=2617611&utm_term=12359224

Are you married or unmarried?

Dtail said:
I would have thought the ratio would have been higher for "Married", as one might think that staying married is probably one of the wealth builders at least vs. divorced status.

Getting divorced and later remarried was key to my financial freedom. My ex would spend what we didn’t have. Once that ended and I found a like minded woman, things went much better.

How about those less intensive purposes? And what would you consider to be the most intensive purposes?

Ha

I was very tempted to go there, but controlled myself. I also have to exercise great discipline when friends, on social media, write "I could of done this....."

I was very tempted to go there, but controlled myself. I also have to exercise great discipline when friends, on social media, write "I could of done this....."

You see that "ALOT".

Last edited:

My mother was an English teacher. However I can spell "learned".....:D

Last edited:
I've been happily unmarried to my Stepford wife for 25+ years. Never cranked out offspring so we never made it legal, but we've shared a home and a life for longer than a lot of our married friends. Where do we fit in the poll?

Getting divorced and later remarried was key to my financial freedom. My ex would spend what we didn’t have. Once that ended and I found a like minded woman, things went much better.

My ex is probably your ex's sister, same situation here.

Coming up on 39 years of marriage in a couple of weeks. We’ve been together on an almost 24/7 basis for close to two years since FIRE. That has taken some getting used to, but hey, we’re still here. Looking forward to blowing the rest of our dough together over the next two or three decades (we’re overachieving in that category right now).

First week in September will be our 42nd anniversary. Met at 16, married at 21 and we still like each other!

Well, kinda unmarried after a dust up last night. This morning? ~28+ years of wedded bliss. :dance:

YMMV!

There are a lot of societal and governmental benefits that accrue to those with the "papers/government blessing" as any gay couple will tell you. My partner (now fiance) and I have only been able to legally wed for about three years and are now making our plans. Trust me, it's very difficult if not impossible to duplicate the benefits of marriage via other legal documents. Here are a few of the some 1500+ items that legal marriage confers on a couple:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclop...urce=cj&utm_content=2617611&utm_term=12359224

Hey - Congratulations!

Interesting to see 33.33% unmarried (= single) here.

I've been reading that, nationally, single adults are approaching 30% of the population.

omni

I think single in a long term relationship would skew the unmarried results down. After all, staying together when there is no tie that binds seems to be at least as strong a relationship?

27 years ago next month, walking down MacMillan Wharf in Provincetown, I asked my friend for a date. I figured if she said no, I could just keep on walking off the wharf.

She gets most of the credit for the fact that we were able to retire early. I have no expectations of a hereafter, but that's OK, I have paradise enough here.

DW and I passed 30 years several years ago...

Last edited:
Just got back from dancing all afternoon. Met on the dance floor 48 years ago, married 46 years ago, still dancing....

My niece and her life partner are dealing with same. After relocating to a more same sex friendly state, they are on track to be married 2019/2020.

She's my little diamond. Sadly, I grew up in a different time and carry some shitty baggage. Hate just sucks.

I'm unmarried but in a relationship for over 20 years. It would have cost us a fortune in taxes while working. I had thought that might change after we retired but the ACA cliff for 2 single people is a lot higher than a married couple so we'll probably stay unmarried.

I've been happily unmarried to my Stepford wife for 25+ years. Never cranked out offspring so we never made it legal, but we've shared a home and a life for longer than a lot of our married friends. Where do we fit in the poll?
You fit in the unmarried category.

Back
Top Bottom