Poll: Daylight Savings Time

How do you feel about Daylight Savings Time?

• I like it

Votes: 57 24.5%
  • I don't like it

Votes: 115 49.4%
  • I'm indifferent about it

Votes: 54 23.2%
  • It's not used where I live, so I don't care

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I always answer polls with "Other"

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s not that big a deal to me, but I’d prefer standard time (no change).

Nearby Indiana used to have three time zones, CDT, EST and EDT. That was a mess for conducting business like meetings, flights - you had to stop and think about the time difference depending on where you were going. We had meetings there where people coming from out of town were off by an hour often.

map2.gif

Last edited:
It's still 5 o'clock somewhere but I don't like the time changes.

I think the whole world do the time changes on the same days except the USA.
Right. Now we are on Mountain time. Then when the US changes in a week, we will be back to Central time, Then in April we experience it all over again but for 3 weeks. The price of living in a country of the world (Mexico), and having US satellite TV.

I like keeping our schedules - based on clocks - somewhat aligned with the sun. If we didn't have DST, here in NJ, we would be getting dawn around 4:00 - 4:30 am in the spring. Although I am intrigued by the idea of staying on GMT everywhere and letting the chips fall - I never thought of that. But, I am retired and it wouldn't have that much of an effect on me.

The setting of clocks will be less and less of an issue over time as more devices are internet connected, or at least have the smarts to do it automatically.

I like the single UTC idea. It would be an adjustment, like switching to the metric system (which most countries have been able to handle), and then I think everyone would see how it makes sense. I say that having only given 10 minutes of thought on it, and missing where it might not make sense.
It makes sense to me. Actually for systems that span time zones it's frequently used internally.

We'll be changing the clocks this weekend (well, those few that don't change themselves). DST has been controversial ever since it was first proposed
I have one of those clocks that changes automatically. It changed last night. :facepalm:

Not everything makes sense. The last time this issue came up before Congress, the candy industry lobbied that any fall change of clocks should happen after Halloween or their industry would lose millions of dollars due to reduced numbers of trick or treaters. The morning of the vote, every rep had a plastic pumpkin on their chair. And now we have the change the first Sunday after Halloween.

I prefer UTC also. I got used to it back in the day when gps calculations were done in a UTC type standard and I didn’t need to know what time zone I was in or if it was DST.

It's not 'day light savings time' per se - it's the twice a year change that I can't stand. Pick a time and stick with it. Period.

I hated it when I worked. Getting off work when it was dark was depressing. Doesn't bother me at all now.

This year, I don't despise it as much as I have all the past years, because I'M RETIRED so the impact will be less than it was when I had to get up & w*rk. And when we had little kids, OMG - it was a nightmare, literally. I feel sorry for those moms & dads.

I truly do hate it, and wish we'd just pick one and forget it.

I have one of those clocks that changes automatically. It changed last night. :facepalm:

Yep. I never know if a clock like that is asking if it is DST, or asking if it should automatically adjust to DST.

And then, the schedules change from when that clock was first programmed, and the automatic function is off by a week or two. Too much to fight.

-ERD50

I don't care that much but it confuses my dog.:LOL:

It’s not that big a deal to me, but I’d prefer standard time (no change).

+1, that is what I would prefer also, but world wide UTC would solve the problem in this article:

I saw this article in today's USA Today:"Like clockwork: How daylight saving time stumps hospital record keeping.

The issue "Carol Hawthorne-Johnson, an intensive care unit nurse in California, said her hospital doesn’t shut down the Epic system during the fall time change. But she’s come to expect that the vital signs she enters into the system from 1 a.m. to 2 a.m. Sunday will be deleted when the clock falls back to 1 a.m. One hour’s worth of electronic record-keeping “is gone,” she said."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...dical-records-emergency-fall-back/1864579002/

The issue "Carol Hawthorne-Johnson, an intensive care unit nurse in California, said her hospital doesn’t shut down the Epic system during the fall time change. But she’s come to expect that the vital signs she enters into the system from 1 a.m. to 2 a.m. Sunday will be deleted when the clock falls back to 1 a.m. One hour’s worth of electronic record-keeping “is gone,” she said."

That's idiotic. The programmers and their supervisors should the taken out and shot. Or at least pilloried.

They can't program the difference between DST and PST? Dolts.:mad:

Maybe this should go in the "Pet Peeve" thread.

Where I live, the sun is up about 15 hours in June and 9 hours in December.

I'd like to use that daylight when I'm up. But, I don't want to get up in the dark. I definitely don't want kids going to school in the dark.

DST (applied to 3-4 months) is a good way to use that extra summer daylight while protecting the morning daylight in the winter.

I like daylight savings time, changing the clocks gives me something to do in my retirement.

Since interest rates are up this year, I turned my clock back 61 minutes.

DST should be just three months a year - July, August, September. Start July 1 and end September 30. A bit of extra daylight time in the summer is nice.

My watch, computer, weather station, phone and iPad all adjusted to DST automatically. I don't understand why my new fangled oven and microwave need me to update them.

I live in north western US so for me I would like them to keep it day light savings time year around.

Here it gets dark at 3:30 to 4:00 in winter months and dark in the morning. I would rather see a little more light in the evening hours.

As far as saving on energy that is a joke! There is no savings for us in the north country with the time change.

Summer in the northern hemisphere isn't a problem since there's plenty of morning and evening light. It's all about when the number of daylight hours is limited.

In the winter, do you want the hour in the morning or evening? Pretty depressing for wage slaves to go to work in the pitch dark for 3 months. Businesses probably have more late arrivals and no-shows as the days get shorter. Then "boom", everyone's start time is shifted by an hour later and productivity soars! Does the spring change undo the good of the fall? Maybe the human psyche, experiencing the lengthening days, can take it in stride.

Back
Top Bottom