Poll: Daylight Savings Time

How do you feel about Daylight Savings Time?

• I like it

Votes: 57 24.5%
  • I don't like it

Votes: 115 49.4%
  • I'm indifferent about it

Votes: 54 23.2%
  • It's not used where I live, so I don't care

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I always answer polls with "Other"

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1. Daylight Saving Time. No s.
2. I hate it.
3. Everyone should shift to UTC. Why are the numbers important?
4. It is a Commie plot and every true 'Murican should be opposed.

I used to live in AZ for 7+ years. So much nicer not to have to deal with the time change.

AZ residents want the sun to go down as soon as possible; of course they don't like daylight savings time lol

I like DST. And I like the way things are. It works just fine and I'm in the school of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

And get off my lawn.

That would get my vote, too. I hate that it gets pitch dark at like 5:45pm in early December. And it's even worse in cities located close to the eastern edge of their time zones. In Nashville, it gets dark by 5:00pm in December!

Come to Boston where it is getting dark at 4:15pm in December!

Thanks, Alan. I misstated that.

What I meant to say was that AFAIK all of Europe does the DST time change on the same day.

Gotcha!

I think the whole world do the time changes on the same days except the USA.

As I have overheard, "It's that extra hour of daylight every day during the summer that's causing global warming."

I used to live in AZ for 7+ years. So much nicer not to have to deal with the time change.

I live in Hawaii and we don't have DST but I still have to deal with it every time I need to call someone on the mainland, and I need to figure out what time it is there. I either have to add 2 or 3 hours depending on whether it is DST over there.

That was 1973-1975. Then people started complaining about "kids walking to school in the dark," and back we went to the switching.

I went to high school on the early shift, so I was always walking to the bus stop in the dark anyway...but the concern was for littler kids, and it was a valid concern. Heck, the poor kids even get run down in broad daylight. https://wsbt.com/news/local/three-kids-killed-near-rochester-while-waiting-for-the-school-bus

I'm retired so it would not effect me, but I remember when I was in middle school they didn't change the time one year. We stood at the bus stop in near total darkness for a while that year.

The setting of clocks will be less and less of an issue over time as more devices are internet connected, or at least have the smarts to do it automatically.

I like the single UTC idea. It would be an adjustment, like switching to the metric system (which most countries have been able to handle), and then I think everyone would see how it makes sense. I say that having only given 10 minutes of thought on it, and missing where it might not make sense.

I'm with the crew that wants to leave DST for the full year. Let's move over a time zone!

dst is great - we get to golf until 10pm in the summer and when it gets dark early later in the year we can't golf anyway so we move it back

Doesn't really affect me being retired now. I still get up when I want after the sun is up, and work outside until dark if I want. The relative time on the clock is just that, a relative time reference.

I prefer the longer days of summer, but the length of daylight has to do with the season, not whether DST or not.

Quality sleep is routinely linked to health. So, what do we do? Disrupt sleep patterns twice a year. Yea. It makes sense. :facepalm:

If I’m ever elected Queen of the world, we will all adjust our clocks one final time to split the difference. As in, instead of falling back one hour this weekend, we would turn the clocks back 30 minutes and be done with it. No more changing clocks twice a year.

Excellent!!!

We should get with modern times and drop all time zones. Put everyone on UTC (aka GMT ).

Today, we have instant communication around the globe. It would simplify things if a meeting could be scheduled for 2 AM, and no one had to convert anything. I would get used to eating lunch at what we would call 5AM, it would be a short adjustment.

And I hate DST.

-ERD50

+1

Absolutely. And Robots don't care what the time is. We need to adapt to that.

I think Daylight Saving Time is great! And the extension of it to weeks earlier in the spring and weeks later in the fall made it even better.

I remember the arab oil embargo and its effects. I was out in total darkness scraping my car off before going to work or school (I was doing both). And it would re-freeze on the glass on one end before I could finish the other end. And yes, I had the engine running. The early morning hours before dawn are tough in a northern environment. Not at all like evenings, which follow the heat (even if there seems little of it) of the day. Being at the absolute bottom of the thermal cycle is awful.

Little kids were standing on the sides of roads in total darkness waiting for school buses. Getting to work or school became more of a challenge, beyond what a normal winter would do. For school bus drivers too, who then had to get up disproportionately earlier. Fighting snowy icy roads in daylight is one thing, at night is another. When the weather was bad, we could choose not to go out in the evening. When they went to year-round DST, we had no choice, had to be at work or school in the "morning" by the time specified.

UTC for everyone? What? So every discrete location on the globe would have to decide how they would overlay their daily activity "clock" that needs to be synchronized with others in their area, onto UTC? Good luck with that! We can't agree on almost everything! And the whole concept of daily time repeatable across locations disappears! Think about it! Maybe that should be the plot for one of T-Al's books - I'd list it in the Sci-Fi Horror section.

Last edited:
First of all- regarding Arizona and the Navajo- one September we stayed in Page, AZ and had a tour of Antelope Canyon scheduled for 9AM. We arrived the night before at a restaurant. My phone said it was 8pm, my wife's said it was 9pm. We asked the waitress, "what time is it here?" She said she had no idea. The next problem was that Antelope Canyon is in Navajo territory and run by the Navajo, BUT the tour begins in Page, AZ. So what time do you show up at the tour office for the start of the tour?

Now, with regard to many of the objections and suggestions mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I refer you to listen to the opening story on the November 1 podcast of Something You Should Know.
In brief, DST SAVES LIVES. And keeping it year round would not work because in winter there simply is not enough evening daylight to "save" in to achieve what it does in summer.

I've been a resident of Alaska all my adult life although I spent some years out of country working ex-pat, with one of my tours exactly on the equator in Equatorial Guinea. Alaska has had an even more peculiar adjustment of the clocks over the years. Geographically, Anchorage should be between 2-3 hours earlier than Seattle and it was until the 80's. At that time it was deemed 2 hours was too far removed from Seattle so the time was adjusted to be one hour off of Seattle and to observe DST so we would remain in lock step. The "saving" of daylight isn't an issue in Anchorage since you get up hours before sun up in the winter and the sun is up by 2am in the summer.

Where I currently work in Prudhoe Bay, 170 miles north of the Arctic circle, the sun will go down on Nov 20th and not come above the horizon until Jan 20. A little over 2 months of continuous night. The months of June and July the sun does a circle in the sky, never going below the horizon. We still observe DST even though there is no daylight to save. I view DST as an unnecessary pain in the AST, especially since my second winter house is in Tucson, where they have the good sense to ignore DST.

Last edited:
It's standard time I hate.

I have no problem with either one. It's the "spring forward" and "fall back" days. I get jet lag from changing the time like that. I wish they would just make up their minds and stick to it. I loved the lack of time changes back in Hawaii.

Has anyone here from Indiana chimed in? Indiana, until about 11 years ago, was mostly in Eastern Time Zone and did not observe DST. That might have been good for its residents who didn't have to adjust their clocks, but meant they were an hour off from different adjacent areas (such as Chicago, Louisville, Cincy) each half of the year.

My ladyfriend, who is from Louisville, often traveled far enough north into Indiana for her job and it became confusing for her and the patients she met half the year when they were an hour apart. This was before she moved to NY in 2004. She doesn't miss that.

I remember being on a plane back in the summer of 2001 sitting next to someone who was connecting in Cincy to go to Indianapolis. The 45-minute flight arrived in Indy "before" it left Cincy (local time) because Indy was an hour earlier in the summer back then. Seemed like a flight out of the Twilight Zone.

Has anyone here from Indiana chimed in? Indiana, until about 11 years ago, was mostly in Eastern Time Zone and did not observe DST.

Yes, the state itself straddled two time zones, and every county made its own decision about DST. A mess.

I used to have a friend who lived in a small town on the Ohio/Indiana border, and he said most people in the town had two clocks in the kitchen, one set to each direction they would travel out of town. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom