Poll: Do You Remove Shoes Entering Your House?

Do you remove shoes upon entering your house?

• Yes, remove shoes upon entering

Votes: 133 52.6%
  • No, wear outside shoes into house

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Don't wear shoes to begin with

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Switch to inside shoes

Votes: 47 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Simple poll question: do you remove your shoes entering your house? Or do you wear your outside shoes into your house. I have some friends that take their shoes off and leave by the door, maybe wearing slippers or maybe just socks or bare feet.

We don't remove shoes, and with dogs and cats there is always plenty of dirt tracked in. So removing shoes to keep house cleaner is a moot point.

Multiple answers permitted in poll.

Last edited:
It's not common, and we certainly don't, but one of my neighbors has white w/w carpeting throughout his home and they ALWAYS take their shoes off when pulling into the garage. They also insist on visitors doing the same upon entering.

The interesting part is that it apparently doesn't work that well, because I see the Stanley Steemer carpet cleaning truck there for half a day every other month.

No, unless they are wet and/or muddy. And I don't even need to check. The DW will let me know as I'm walking in. :)

Yes.

When visiting the home of a friend/relative, I try to follow the preference of the host.

If my shoes/boots are relatively clean (won't visibly track), then no.

Yes.

When visiting the home of a friend/relative, I try to follow the preference of the host.

Same here. We use indoor shoes or slippers and leave the outdoor shoes near the entry.

The only time I wear socks here in Florida is when we are visiting friends, in case I need to remove my shoes.

We don't at our house.

My daughter and SIL do at their house. I always thought it was to not track in dirt, but found out last time that SIL is concerned about germs getting into the house. When I walked in with my shoes on, he offered to clean the bottoms of my shoes with disinfectant. I took them off.

I do mostly but not 100% (remove).

But if someone expresses they prefer someone to be shoeless in their home, I would go barefoot/socks no problem. Many cultures very much prefer this.

Leave 'em on. A house is for living and putting some wear and tear into.

I will honor the preference of anyone we visit. Some friends ask for us to take them off. That's fine.

I grew up wearing shoes in the house. My husband is from a culture that does not wear shoes in the house. I decided their approach was much cleaner and now I can't stand the thought of dirty shoes all over the house.

The two dogs we had were trained to only be on the tile in the kitchen/family room area which is easily cleaned unlike carpet. If the paws got filthy, they were quickly wiped before entering the house.

I don't think you should request guests to remove their shoes. Their comfort should be more important than yours. Going barefoot is especially bad.

Have you ever noticed anyone removing shoes going in and out in TV shows and movies? I never see that. Most people just leave them on.

Yes. I live in Ontario, Canada and everyone takes their shoes off on entering a home. It seems it's their custom or a common courtesy. I don't mind it at all. It keeps the floor clean.

Last edited:
I usually remove mine but if I don't I at least check for any rocks stuck in the tread so I don't scratch up my wood floors.

Have you ever noticed anyone removing shoes going in and out in TV shows and movies? I never see that. Most people just leave them on.

LOL, I almost never see anyone in movies or TV shows go to the bathroom, but I still do that.

I grew up wearing shoes in the house. My [-]husband[/-] wife is from a culture that does not wear shoes in the house. I decided their approach was much cleaner and now I can't stand the thought of dirty shoes all over the house.

+1

DW and I never, ever wear shoes in our house (other than house slippers), and we ask guests to remove theirs, as well. But I had started to do this way before DW and I first met. I had a carpet cleaning service come to my (mostly carpeted) house many years ago, and as he was leaving, the cleaning tech told me his #1 tip for keeping carpets looking clean and new was "Never wear outside shoes in the house." And I haven't, since that day.

LOL, I almost never see anyone in movies or TV shows go to the bathroom, but I still do that.
Well, they're not going to show people doing their business on TV. That would be against FCC regs. :LOL:

Anyway, that's completely unrelated to taking off your shoes.

DW and DD both have allergies so we take shoes off. We also generally change our clothes when we come in. Doing that cuts down on spreading allergens around the house.

Always gone shoeless in our house. Socks, slippers or bare feet is the norm. Just more comfortable for us and less dirt & debris brought inside.

Take mine off when entering the house, but not for dirt reasons, allergies, pets, etc. I just flat out don't like wearing shoes. When guests ask me about shoes off/on I tell them they can do whatever they like best.

When we lived in Vermont year round yes during the winter and no during the summer unless the footwear was muddy or dirty.

Now that we snowbird, no, unless muddy or dirty.

When visiting others I go with the flow... when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Last edited:
We usually switch to inside shoes (sneakers). We do not ask our guest to remove their shoes. Our rooms for normal socializing - are all tiled or hardwood. Usually in the winter, though, folks around here will remove their shoes, or are wearing boots over their shoes that they remove).

When visiting others, If they do not ask us to, we will ask them if they want us to remove our shoes. To 80% of them it does not matter, the others prefer us to remove them. I always make surely my socks are fresh and not holey :).

Well, they're not going to show people doing their business on TV. That would be against FCC regs. :LOL:

Anyway, that's completely unrelated to taking off your shoes.

OK, then, do you lock your doors? Cuz I hardly ever see that either. Because it just takes up unnecessary time in a condensed show.

Do you really base your living habits on TV shows and movies?

Some days I am in and out a couple dozen times or more so, no way.

Unless the shoes are muddy or very dirty. I check for rocks stuck in the tread since we have lots of pea gravel here. And in the evening I may switch to slippers or just socks for comfort.

Back
Top Bottom