• A gun? Me? No way.

Votes: 62 34.1%
  • No, but I'm thinking about it.

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • Yes, I have a gun locked up at home.

Votes: 30 16.5%
  • Yes, and I carry it on my person.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • Yes, I own several firearms. I'm a hunter.

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Yes, I have a large collection of firearms, small and large.

Votes: 21 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to be political either and am genuinely curious. But your answer somewhat puzzles me. Do you also carry a jar of cow testicles soaked in honey with a twist of lemon? Pretty confident NY has no restrictions on you doing that, but you probably don't. So why the gun?

First of all who gave you my marinade for cow testicles?
Second of all I really can't answer the rest of your question without sounding political so if you are "genuinely curious" send me a PM and I will answer to the best of my ability.

Question: given a gun situation is completely legal, is a person allowed to take his gun off and put it on a restaurant table? (Kind of like putting a cell phone on a restaurant table).

The question is one reason why I don't want a gun. The same with owning a radar detector. Could be fine and legal on one place, but day dream a little and could be breaking the law.

That said, if an armed intruder broke into my place an wanted to do me harm, I'm rather defend myself with a gun than a spatula.

Would love to use these firearms but my idea of fun firearms use is secluded area where no care about trespass or noise, know of no such place near this city. Have a gun range but it's just depressing to me to pay $175 a year to be in a noisy interior space with a bunch of others firing at paper targets. YMMV of course.

We take some guns when going on vacation and know that we will be in a gun friendly State, as they have State run outdoor gun ranges that are terrific, and low cost.
Examples would be TN, I recall it was $5/hr or the first 2 hours.
FL - It was $10 daily per person.

These are well maintained, supervised and make it a joy to shoot.

Lots of posters have said they have self protection firearms in their homes. I suspect that many would probably use them if the crisis arose.

My question is "how many of those who would use them have taken out insurance policies to cover potential law suits initiated by a perpetrator's family?"

(some of my friends have done just this)

Update, I just got off the phone with Melissa, from USAA If my shooting is in self defense Im covered. If its not in self defense im on my own. Awesome question aja8888, I didnt know that until you asked.

How do you mostly control suicides in you home? It sounds like your plan is to use reinforced strike plates of the deadbolts, 8 mm window film, security cameras and a burglar alarm system to keep a suicidal person from breaking in and killing themselves with one of your guns. (This was not meant to be political at all).

LOL. I can guarantee I am not going to commit the big S, I like being retired to much.

I just had two friends do it. One was 24 (12 ga.) and the other was 54 (pills). If I would have known they were going to do that, I would have given them a few names to help simplify my life as long as they were at it.

Live in rural Texas. Glock 19 & AR 15 SBR in each vehicle.
Carry piece is SW .380 Bodyguard.

...That said, if an armed intruder broke into my place an wanted to do me harm, I'm rather defend myself with a gun than a spatula.

Good idea. Apparently your intuition is correct.

MODESTO, Calif. (AP) — Prosecutors will not be filing criminal charges against two Modesto police officers who shot and killed a man they say lunged at them with a metal spatula.

Update, I just got off the phone with Melissa, from USAA If my shooting is in self defense Im covered. If its not in self defense im on my own. Awesome question aja8888, I didnt know that until you asked.
When I had a CCW in MO you couldn't be sued for legally protecting yourself.

However miss/pass through and you are responsible for everything that projectile hits. Our instructor spend a lot of time describing different scenarios where he(retired LE) wouldn't consider using deadly force.

Good idea. Apparently your intuition is correct.

MODESTO, Calif. (AP) — Prosecutors will not be filing criminal charges against two Modesto police officers who shot and killed a man they say lunged at them with a metal spatula.

Some things don't change. Looks like those without bullets choose a spatula as weapon of choice :LOL:.

Some things don't change. Looks like those without bullets choose a spatula as weapon of choice :LOL:.

Nothing funny about that. An all too common (and all too tragic) example of the phenomenon called "suicide by cop."

I have a Glock 17 that I carry in my car everywhere I go and occasionally carry on my body but not often. I have a CC permit.

A gun is just a tool. It's always good to have the right tool on hand when the need arises.
Having a gun is somewhat similar to having a smoke detector or fire extinguisher in my house: Although I have one, I've never actually needed it, and I hope and plan to never need it. But if the circumstances require it, having it vs. not having it could be a matter of life or death. Guns are used defensively to stop or prevent crimes every day in this country.

BTW, There's a false narrative floating around out there that gun owners are more likely to be harmed by their gun, than saved by it. This is a complete fabrication, unsupported by meaningful studies.

Nothing funny about that. An all too common (and all too tragic) example of the phenomenon called "suicide by cop."

The humor I was referring to was the spatula. Nothing funny about "suicide by cop."

It is probably best if we limit ourselves to the question asked, rather than debating each other over the wherefore and why.

I am on my phone so I can't see the survey but i kwn more than a dozen. The majority are long guns with only a few handguns. I am not a handgun enthusiast and will probably sell or trade the mil-std 1911 .45acp. I hunt and use them for varmint control. Varmint control is necessary at times but isnt hunting. I purchsed most, and inherited a few. I inherited one AR-15 but haven't used it in years.

I also live in Texas and rifles and shotguns are just part of the environment. Handguns didn't used to be as common as long guns but have become much more common in the past decade or two.

I have shotguns because DW and I like to trap shoot.

I have large caliber handguns with high velocity rounds that we carry if hiking in bear, mountain lion country. Some say they won't do any good, but I know hitting them with a stick has a lower percentage of success, if I can find one.

I have several handguns for personal protection, and I don't always carry but I probably should.

In most states, it is legal to wear an external holster with with a side arm on your hip, because it is visible to all. The problem lies if if the side arm is concealed, thus you need a permit to conceal.

I've got four long guns (three of which are ARs in different configurations), two shotguns, and a passel of handguns. I live in CA and carry when I'm on my property but have the gates open. I do not have a CA CCW permit because they are so hard to get...I qualify, (and without intending to sound political) BUT CA is a MAY ISSUE state, which means that the sheriff in your county decides if your reason is good enough or not. Too bad that this is subjective and has been proven to lead to cronyism. I do have a Utah permit, which allows me to carry in 30 some odd states, including Nevada, where we have a second home.

Why do I carry? In our rural neighborhood here in CA, a neighbor has had a gun pulled on him when he confronted a guy casing the neighborhood at 3am, a guy parked in front of our place at 5am scouting us and the neighbor across the street, then the next door neighbors, before being spooked and peeling out down the road, a guy coming around door to door asking if we had a travel trailer he could buy, another meth head jumped a different neighbor's fence at 1:00am on an early Sunday morning and try to break in. That neighbor's son is a LEO, and happened to be sitting at the kitchen table with his LEO buddies...didnt catch the guy, but did scare him off.

All of the above in the last 6 months, most of it in the last 3 months. This is also why I'd like a CA CCW permit...I'm afraid we'll come home from somewhere at night and interrupt a burglary, and I'll have no weapon on me to defend myself and DW. Hopefully the dogs would scare them off, but you never know.

A final word: I don't want to shoot anyone, ever, but would if I had to. As a further deterrent, I've installed Crimson Trace lasers on my home defense weapon and most of the weapons I carry, whether around the CA property or in states where I can concealed carry. I do this because psychologically, somehow I perceive that when a BG sees the red dot on his chest, he's more likely to run...and I won't have to shoot him. OTOH if I do have to shoot him, that red dot insures that the lead poisoning goes where it is intended, and nowhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom