• A gun? Me? No way.

Votes: 62 34.1%
  • No, but I'm thinking about it.

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • Yes, I have a gun locked up at home.

Votes: 30 16.5%
  • Yes, and I carry it on my person.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • Yes, I own several firearms. I'm a hunter.

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Yes, I have a large collection of firearms, small and large.

Votes: 21 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grew up with father who had a shotgun and pistol. DH has owned two in the past. We are considering buying one again.

I don't think Wilson Combat or Nighthawk offers any discount. Maybe their backlogs are shorter.

Holy macaroni. And here I was thinking $1,500 for a Colt 1911 was steep. :LOL:

Oh the cost of the one I carry most of the time was in 1983 159 bucks, It was 20 dollars more than the 4 inch S & P Model 10 that we all carried on our hips.

Holy macaroni. And here I was thinking $1,500 for a Colt 1911 was steep. :LOL:
I found 2 original Colt 1911 Series 70 Gold Cups NIB at a gun show earlier this year. One was $2500 without the Colt paper work and the other was $2750 with the paper work. The good stuff isn't cheap.

This is NOT a political discussion, just a factual survey.

Are you sure about that? :(. Okay, I'll stop there as don't want this thread to drift into Porky territory.

I didn't vote as I fall in the "Other" category.

I don't own a gun but am not ready to say "No way!" So, I'm somewhere between option 1 and 2 on the choices.

Holy macaroni. And here I was thinking $1,500 for a Colt 1911 was steep. [emoji23]
You should have tried for a semi-cutom1911 manufactured in 2011! They were very proud of those. Probably a two year wait for a plain model, Supergrades took much longer.

I have far too many guns that I need, however, I have far too few that I want. So, I'll keep buying until I realize. Geeez.. Well, that IS too many.

Perma carrys by the bedside and wallet, ready to go... Convenient yet hidden near all entrances. Long guns, expensive ones, antique ones in safes. A closet dedicated to common ammo for my best self defense guns.

Hmmm... I think I know what to do with this wonderful, non-working monday. Go buy another. And, contrary to someone posting above, I love lever action guns. Not really practical in a flight or fight situation but they do carry a lot of romantic history with them. Especially when collectible.

I grew up with guns, dad was a cop. don't have one now but I'm thinking about it since my sons are moving out

Mostly old clankers in my collection. Steyr M1912, CZ 52, Sistema 45 Colt 1911 copies, Colt .25 vestpocket pistol, Australian Martini-Henry rifle, .44 from my Dad... All stashed away. Have my concealed carry permit but don't carry.

"Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not."

Hilaire Belloc The Modern Traveller 1898

Are you sure about that? :(.

I'm quite sure about my intentions. This will only become a political thread if others make it so. So please don't.

I'm quite sure about my intentions. This will only become a political thread if others make it so. So please don't.

I won't make this political.

I'm not a gun owner but am enjoying reading the thread by some of the owners. Similar to reading about what type of make, model of car or computer.

I won't make this political.

I'm not a gun owner but am enjoying reading the thread by some of the owners. Similar to reading about what type of make, model of car or computer.

Thank you!

We own two long guns: a pump shotgun and a 22 with a couple of detachable magazines. They sit in the kitchen and we sometimes shoot woodchucks/pests from the kitchen deck.

When sons and their wives visit, they usually target shoot from the deck.

P.S.--yeah, we live in a pretty rural area.

Here in AZ, it is illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits, except at a certified firing range. And even in open rural areas, it has to be more than 1 mile from any occupied structure (your own home excepted?).

Violation is a class 6 felony and comes with a 1-year prison term, unless the judge reduces it to a class 1 misdemeanor.

I have 13 guns. 5 are "collectors" (3 handguns, 2 shotguns).

The rest are Glock or Sig, and one AR-15

I ran into our Sheriff at the range one day and he was "admiring" some of the guns. I asked what he was shooting and he said "A .45, want to know why? Because they don't make a .46" :D

Exactly. There are far too many stories like this. I can mostly control the accidents, suicides, murders, etc. in my own home...

I have since installed deadbolts, 3" screws in both the knob strike plate and the reinforced strike plates of the dead bolt. I even put 8 mm window film on my windows that are on any doors. I have 12 security cameras, and a burglar alarm system..

How do you mostly control suicides in you home? It sounds like your plan is to use reinforced strike plates of the deadbolts, 8 mm window film, security cameras and a burglar alarm system to keep a suicidal person from breaking in and killing themselves with one of your guns.
(This was not meant to be political at all).

I have five. One is a .22 rifle that I bought when I was 21 and used to do a little bit of small game hunting and another is a single-shot 12 gauge that I forget why I bought it. Neither one of those has been fired for 40+ years. (I should just sell them.) Another is a Walther PPKS .380 that I bought for an off-duty weapon (retired law enforcement) but the department later modified the criteria for off-duty weapons and I couldn't use that anymore and I replaced it with a Ruger stainless steel 2 3/4 inch barrel .357 revolver. The last is a former on-duty weapon, a .38 Ruger stainless revolver with a 4-inch barrel. It has the department's name and logo stamped on it and I carried that at work for 15 years. When they went with the Beretta 9mm automatic you could buy the revolver via a gun shop if you wanted to, so I bought it. None of the handguns has been fired since I retired 14 years ago but I do keep the two revolvers loaded and in a closet. No kids here.

While it would be simple for me to get a concealed carry permit (show my retired I.D. to the sheriff, or get a letter from the department I retired from, I forget which) I haven't bothered to since I just don't feel the need to carry. And since we frequently cross the borders with the two adjoining states of MD and VA, neither of which recognize a WV permit, a permit would be of limited value anyway. Another option would be getting a LEOSA permit, valid nationally, but I'd have to go to MD annually to qualify and get up at o'dark thirty on that day because of traffic and it just isn't worth the bother to me. I am RETIRED!

I grew up in PA and I think that all of my relatives had guns and hunted. We had several guns in our house when we were in our 30's and we hunted. (I would carry a hunting permit and carry a gun, until DH shot the first deer and my tag would go on it. DH stopped hunting many years ago. He decided that he would rather spend his hobby money on cars (could not afford both) and he sold his guns. We have not owned any guns for over 30 years.

We went to my cousin's house in AZ and they own guns. She checked her house before we left to make sure her handgun was in her purse and said that her DH carried also. Her 2 sons were police officers. My cousin was on the wilder side in her younger days. She made me nervous carrying her gun. We were in Pittsburgh PA with our 8 year old granddaughter for a couple of days and were eating at a restaurant in Station Square. Four guys in suits came into the restaurant and sat down. One took off his suit jacket and was carrying a gun. I sat there for while, staring at the gun and feeling nervous. I kept telling myself that he was probably a detective and that is his job. I finally calmed down. I never felt nervous at all being around guns growing up and in my 20s and 30s. I think that people respected life more back then or maybe I was just naive.

Question: given a gun situation is completely legal, is a person allowed to take his gun off and put it on a restaurant table? (Kind of like putting a cell phone on a restaurant table).

Question: given a gun situation is completely legal, is a person allowed to take his gun off and put it on a restaurant table? (Kind of like putting a cell phone on a restaurant table).

I wouldn't do that. That would typically be considered brandishing a weapon.

Lots of posters have said they have self protection firearms in their homes. I suspect that many would probably use them if the crisis arose.

My question is "how many of those who would use them have taken out insurance policies to cover potential law suits initiated by a perpetrator's family?"

(some of my friends have done just this)

Lots of posters have said they have self protection firearms in their homes. I suspect that many would probably use them if the crisis arose.

My question is "how many of those who would use them have taken out insurance policies to cover potential law suits initiated by a perpetrator's family?"

(some of my friends have done just this)

I shot a bad guy when I was working. I tried to sue him:LOL::LOL:(talk about adding insult to injury). Turns out his "estate" didnt have much money. But now you made me call USAA(my umbrella policy)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom