• A gun? Me? No way.

Votes: 62 34.1%
  • No, but I'm thinking about it.

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • Yes, I have a gun locked up at home.

Votes: 30 16.5%
  • Yes, and I carry it on my person.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • Yes, I own several firearms. I'm a hunter.

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Yes, I have a large collection of firearms, small and large.

Votes: 21 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't do the poll on my phone, but I live in TX and own a gun. My husband has several, mostly inherited. I took the CHL course and have carried my gun, but not often.

Recently, my husband was out of town and someone attempted to get in our front door at 1:30 am, setting off our alarm. I was so glad I had my gun. The police came, because I wasn't sure why the alarm had gone off. They found marks on the door like they were trying to get in. I told them I had a gun and three dogs in the house and they said "Good!" We've been having some home invasions in our city, unfortunately. We are thinking we should get cameras. A nearby man
had someone ring his doorbell at 1:30 am recently, and when he looked on his phone, he could see it was a young man holding a gun.

View attachment 26350

That's scary! I can certainly understand why you feel safer having a gun and knowing how to use it.

That's scary! I can certainly understand why you feel safer having a gun and knowing how to use it.

By the way, I should mention that he showed the photo to the police and the young man was arrested later in a nearby Walmart parking lot. He had a criminal record and they had been looking for him for burglaries.

I have a full carry permit. This is a bit of a rare thing in my fair city. I believe there are 40,000 ish permits and 60 % of those are retired cops. I dont own a bunch, I used to carry 3 at work. My 6 shot .38 on my hip, my 5 shot .38 on my ankle(in the summer), in the winter it went in my jacket/coat pocket. And a 2 shot .22 magnum derringer in my underwear. I remember a story of a cop who was taken hostage by the bad guys, they raped him before they killed him. I had every intention of using one of those 2 shots on one of them, and the last one on me before they bent me over. Nice way to make a living right?

OP should be aware that gun owners are notorious for failing to answer surveys or answering in the negative when asked if they own firearms.

BCG, do you worry they go off on you, especially the one you wear in your underwear? Inquiring mind wants to know.

Last edited:
OP should be aware that gun owners are notorious for failing to answer surveys or answering in the negative when asked if they own firearms.

Well, so far, 75% of respondents have answered that they own at least one gun. Even allowing for false negative answers (and this survey is anonymous) that is a high proportion. I know you hunt, based on your previous posts.

BCG, do you worry they go off on you? Dumb question I know.

Although my work guns do NOT have a safety, you need to pull the trigger very hard to make it go "bang". The .22 magnum thankfully I never had to use, and thats in the safe, Ill never carry that anymore. When i did carry it it was in a flimsy leather case with a cut out. I did position it towards my leg (instead of downwards hahaha) in case it went off.

Last edited:
Well, so far, 75% of respondents have answered that they own at least one gun. Even allowing for false negative answers (and this survey is anonymous) that is a high proportion. I know you hunt, based on your previous posts.

Well, I used to, at least before all of my firearms fell overboard in an unfortunate boating accident...

Well, I used to, at least before all of my firearms fell overboard in an unfortunate boating accident...

Seriously? No more squirrel pie, then?
There must be a story.....
I'm glad you didn't drown!

I think the fifth option fits best. Thanks for participating.

And that's how I just voted. I did not think 4 guns constitute a "large collection", but it looks like it for people who do not own any.

I do not take them out to shoot very often now, and often forget I own these guns. When I was in my 20s, went out very often to a range or to the desert to shoot targets with friends. With a handgun it is hard to hit something small like a beer can at 100'. Even at 50' it requires some practice. Once you get it, it stays with you somewhat, like riding a bike.

Although my work guns do NOT have a safety, you need to pull the trigger very hard to make it go "bang". The .22 magnum thankfully I never had to use, and thats in the safe, Ill never carry that.

I thought you wrote you wear them in your underwear.

I always (100% of the time) have one in my vehicle anytime I go anywhere. Sometimes (~10%) I'll carry with me outside the vehicle depending on where I'm at. Always have several loaded in the house too. And yes, even though you didn't ask, I have a LTC. (often still called a CHL but in Texas it's now called a LTC, since in this state, you can carry open or concealed these days.)

My answer is almost the same as Car-Guy.

I always (100% of the time) have one in my vehicle anytime I go anywhere provided I am in a state that I can lawfully do so. Sometimes (~90%) I'll carry with me outside the vehicle depending on where I'm at.

Why you ask? Well, because I can and the State Of New York has deemed me a law abiding citizen and chose not to infringe upon my rights.

ps Moderators, the above is not meant as political statement, just a statement of fact.

The state of AZ now allows concealed carry by anyone who can legally own a gun. I do not feel threatened enough to carry one on me nor in my car.

To carry one, I need something smaller and lighter than my 357. It would make a big bulge, or cause my pants to sag. :) I would need a shoulder strap.

It's the most fun gun I have to do target shooting with, due to the loud bang and the recoil.

Last edited:
No antiques. I like to have a few "just in case something goes down".

I have a few around the house, in case of a home invasion. I try to never be more than a few feet away from a loaded firearm. I live in one of the safest communities around. No kids here, and my house is not kid friendly.

I have a few carry guns, and if I upgrade the gun just sit on the shelf in the safe. A few shotguns and rifles too (~50).

Often, when I went on a big game trip, I would buy a new gun for it, much the same way a woman might buy a new dress to go to a wedding. I am going to Glacier NP in September, and I will be carrying a firearm there too.

A gun makes a person feel safe, when they know how to use it. When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

Probably my all time favorite TV Show JUSTIFIED

"Winona Hawkins: Or I could just call the police.
Wynn Duffy: The police are just a janitorial service used to clean up your blood after you've been murdered."

What do you do when you are in the shower?
Nice, You might not have read the post. So in the interest of clarity Ill copy and paste. 1) I have a full carry permit. This is a bit of a rare thing in my fair city. I believe there are 40,000 ish permits and 60 % of those are retired cops. I dont own a bunch, ******I used to carry 3 at work. My 6 shot .38 on my hip, my 5 shot .38 on my ankle(in the summer), in the winter it went in my jacket/coat pocket. And a 2 shot .22 magnum derringer in my underwear. I remember a story of a cop who was taken hostage by the bad guys, they raped him before they killed him. I had every intention of using one of those 2 shots on one of them, and the last one on me before they bent me over. Nice way to make a living right?****** See the star part of WHEN I was at work part? Just for a wee bit more clarity, There were 13 police shoot outs in my pct the first year I was there. The pct went from 127 -155 street and it went about 3 avenues. A euphemism for the place was that it was "a busy area",

Last edited:
I'm sure this quote has been attributed to lots of folks, but I think it just might have been Senator Hatch (feel free to correct) who was asked how many fire arms he owned. "More than I need and less than I want."

Back when I was 10 or 12 - maybe up to 14, friends and I would sling our .22's over our shoulders and ride our bikes outside of town to plink by a creek or against an aggregate pile. No one ever questioned us or hassled us. Not so sure that would still be the case. Probably mentioned before, our 8th grade teacher asked us to bring war trophies and artifacts (WWII) to class. I brought a Japanese bayonet. I though the 7.7 mm Mauser actioned Japanese rifle I had might have been "too much", but a friend brought a fully functional (but unloaded) German Lugar. We were all congratulated on participating (from bullet riddled German or Japanese flags, to obviously "looted" Iron Crosses and Samurai swords - my Uncle brought home the later item.) Things have changed. Oh, fortunately, no functioning hand grenades, though I brought a practice one with the firing mechanism still functioning (but already used).

Well I answered the survey as close to accurate.
I picked 3 , as I'm not a hunter, but I have less than 10 so not a large collection.

As a teenager I used to shoot varmints, and had a couple of rifles all my life, but I gave up shooting animals around age 18.

I have 8 in total, 4 rifles and 4 handguns.

One is a WWII rifle, has history behind it, and fun to see that type of gun used in war movies and documentaries.

I don't carry, as I never did all my life, and don't want to feel brave enough to go into some areas.

We don't keep then locked up, as no kids in the house, and easier to grab at night.

We don't answer or open the door if anyone knocks after supper.

A friend thwarted a car jacking with his vehicle weapon (carried between the two front seats). I guess the perp thought better of it when my friend pointed his .44 at the guy who only had a .25 (noted for jamming, but that's another story.) That big bore has that effect on some folks (by the way, it was just a .44, not the magnum.)

Sister's BF in college was followed by several unknown young men. He crossed the street and was followed. He crossed back and was followed. It was then he pulled his automatic and chambered a round. The young men turned and left the scene. There' nothing in this world that can be confused with the sound of chambering of a round - especially a pump shotgun but that too is another story. YMMV

What do you do when you are in the shower?

Sounds like a personal question.:cool smiley:

But seriously, back in the day in coal country, my dad always carried his piece to the privies (and every where else.) To my knowledge, he never shot anyone, but he offered to shoot a couple of guys who said they were going to pull his chin whiskers over some beef they had for several years. He forced the barrel into the biggest ones belly and cocked the hammer. It was a different time and place, but human nature has not changed much - only the technology.

Why you ask? Well, because I can and the State Of New York has deemed me a law abiding citizen and chose not to infringe upon my rights.

I'm not trying to be political either and am genuinely curious. But your answer somewhat puzzles me. Do you also carry a jar of cow testicles soaked in honey with a twist of lemon? Pretty confident NY has no restrictions on you doing that, but you probably don't. So why the gun?

Please keep the discussion free from politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom