Poll: Turbocharged gasoline engine fuel requirements

I have a vehicle with a turbocharged (not supercharged) gasoline engine, and:

• The owner's manual requires that I use premium gasoline (octane rating above 87)

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • The owner's manual recommends but does not require that I use premium gasoline (octane rating above

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • The owner's manual is silent as to the grade of gasoline or says to use regular (min 87 octane)

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I have a turbodiesel or superchared vehicle so options 1-3 do not apply.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I would have worded the poll questions differently and/or included other options.

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Based on RunningBum's thread on whether or not to consider buying a car with a turbocharged engine, I'm curious to see how many of those who have a turbo require premium gasoline per the owner's manual.

Last edited:
Good Poll (when it gets posted). I was going to comment in the other thread that I would not consider an engine that requires premium. The overcost for premium in my neck of the woods has gone from ~.20/gal to over .50/gal. I know a lot of folks that insist on using premium even if it is not required because they think it's good for the car.

On my last turbocharged car, a Subaru Legacy GT, the owners manual indicated that premium fuel was required but I think it also said that lower grades could be used if premium was unavailable.

The other two turbocharged cars that we owned (Plymouth way back and DD's Saab 2.0t) did not require premium as I recall.

I don't think I will ever again buy a car that requires premium gas. At the time I bought the Subaru the price premium was only about 10% and I rationalized it that I was getting slightly better gas mileage with premium gas (the truth was that I really liked the car and its peppiness)... but as I owned it the price premium got much higher.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost and it does not require premium. I'm very happy with both the performance and the mileage.

Good Poll (when it gets posted). I was going to comment in the other thread that I would not consider an engine that requires premium. The overcost for premium in my neck of the woods has gone from ~.20/gal to over .50/gal. I know a lot of folks that insist on using premium even if it is not required because they think it's good for the car.

Where I live the difference between 87 and 91 is around 80 cents. It was over a dollar when gas prices were higher a few years back. That equates to several thousand dollar extra for premium fuel in addition to the up front cost of the more expensive turbo engine. Not worth it to me.

Turbo diesels use the same diesel fuel as a non-turbo. So no cost differential for them. Good thing for me and my 3 turbo diesel engines. Do love that torque boost when under boost.

Didn't vote, because I don't currently have a turbo, but near the top of my "next car" candidate list is the Subaru Ascent (4cyl turbo), and it only requires 87 octane.

Didn't vote, because I don't currently have a turbo, but near the top of my "next car" candidate list is the Subaru Ascent (4cyl turbo), and it only requires 87 octane.

Do you frequently have more than 4 people in your car? That is the only reason I can imagine people would buy that vehicle.

I don’t have a turbo but did once, and it require premium gasoline.

As I mentioned elsewhere, my car is both turbocharged and supercharged ("twincharged" in the jargon). Manufacturer requires at least 91 octane, but says it's OK to use lower if you have to (emergency when 91 isn't available).

Since the premium fuel only means a couple hundred bucks a year difference, I'm fine with that.

Do you frequently have more than 4 people in your car? That is the only reason I can imagine people would buy that vehicle.
No, it would be for the extra cargo space, and also more room to car camp in. I can sleep in my Forester, but it's pretty tight length-wise. Whether it's worth paying extra for, I haven't decided. And when I don't need the space, the shorter car is nicer for parking, and gets better gas mileage.

I have a Ford F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and usually run 87 octane in it except when towing, which they recommend using 91 octane or higher.

Does anyone else remember when mid-grade gas was +10¢ and premium was +20¢? I wonder why the spread is larger now?

My supercharged daily driver (700+ hp Jeep) absolutely requires premium. I typically run 93 octane Exxon/Mobil unless I happen to be near the rack track and can pickup some 100 octane Sunoco 260GT.

But, I think I really need a different tune to take advantage of the Sunoco fuel. Performance measurements and gas mileage seems to be about the same for both the 100 and 93 octanes fuels. Big price difference though. But the cost of fuel was the last thing on my mind when I bought the car.

Last edited:
Does anyone else remember when mid-grade gas was +10¢ and premium was +20¢? I wonder why the spread is larger now?
Because they can get it. Same with diesel. ~20 years ago it was cheaper than regular. Around here it's 50 to 70 cents higher now.

Because they can get it. Same with diesel. ~20 years ago it was cheaper than regular. Around here it's 50 to 70 cents higher now.

There's usually more to it than simple "greed".

Diesel got more expensive when we switched to ultralow sulfur diesel. The refineries had to invest in new equipment and use more expensive grades of crude oil.

BTW, we're about to get even more expensive diesel pricing since maritime fuel regulations are changing to require lower sulfur and so will be competing for the same grades of crude that go into ULS diesel.

" I would have worded the poll questions differently and/or included other options."

Well, I've owned 2 turbo vehicles, and neither one required premium, but IIRC, my Volvo recc premium for max performance, but regular was fine (I think many cars self-adjust the timing to compensate). So I'm not sure that is the same as "recommends premium" overall - it was more like optional.

So I chose the closest, since one uses regular, and one could use either:

The owner's manual is silent as to the grade of gasoline or says to use regular (min 87 octane)

But since I owned 2 of them, I should have been able to vote twice. And multiple choices should be allowed as well.

FYI, one was a 2000, the other 2017 - model year might make a difference as well.

edit/add: Is anyowner's manual "silent as to the grade of gasoline"? Everyone I've ever seen was specific about this, as far as I recall.

-ERD50

Last edited:
" I would have worded the poll questions differently and/or included other options."

Well, I've owned 2 turbo vehicles, and neither one required premium, but IIRC, my Volvo recc premium for max performance, but regular was fine (I think many cars self-adjust the timing to compensate).

So I chose the closest:

The owner's manual is silent as to the grade of gasoline or says to use regular (min 87 octane)

But since I owned 2 of them, I should have been able to vote twice. And the two might have been different (they weren't though), so multiple choices should be allowed as well.

FYI, one was a 2000, the other 2017 - model year might make a difference as well.

-ERD50
I knew I could count on you! :LOL:

Diesel got more expensive when we switched to ultralow sulfur diesel. The refineries had to invest in new equipment and use more expensive grades of crude oil.
Well I learned something new today. I didn't know that, but then the only thing I've ever used diesel for is my tractors.

Last edited:
I knew I could count on you! :LOL:

Did not want to disappoint, especially this close to Christmas! ;) ( and I did edit my post slightly while you typed, I did misread one of the questions the first go around - my bad)

No point in stopping there :) ). I see that so far we are running about even on premium/regular for turbos. Still a small sample though, ~ 5 for premium and 7 regular.

But what % of non-turbos would we get a report of premium?

And does using a Tesla Supercharger count? Oh, never mind, you said turbo-charger. Wait, what if it was powered by wind turbines? :LOL:

-ERD50

I leased a BMW X3 a couple of months ago, my first car with a turbo.

I've seen discussions about what kind of gas you have to use, with different opinions about what's required.

Since it's a lease, I could use the lowest-grade fuel but I go for the mid grade.

And no I didn't look at the manual. Car manuals are ridiculously thick now.

There is a BMW Genius app. that I checked out but it's pretty useless..

My manual calls for premium and it does make a difference for the sports car. Up North, I would on occasion find 94 rated gas.

Audi says premium gasoline.
Bogleheads say Top Tier gasoline. https://www.toptiergas.com
So, premium Top Tierwhat I buy.
At <250 gallons (US) per year, I don't care about price.
If I cared about price, I would buy from Costco instead of Valero (which is way more convenient).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom