post your favorite oldies

Rum and Coca Cola reminded me of this one:

Beetlejuice - Day-o (Banana Boat Song) - YouTube

Uploaded by lipebianc on Apr 6, 2010
Song: Harry Belafonte - Day-o (Banana Boat Song)
Movie: Beetlejuice (1988)

Lyrics:

Day-o, Day-ay-ay-o
Daylight come and me wan' go home
Day, me say day, me say day, me say day
Me say day, me say day-ay-ay-o

Work all night on a drink a' rum
Stack banana till the mornin' come

Come, Mister tally man, tally me banana
Come, Mister tally man, tally me banana

Lift six foot, seven foot, eight foot BUNCH!
Six foot, seven foot, eight foot BUNCH!

Day, me say day-ay-ay-o
Day, me say day, me say day, me say day...

A beautiful bunch a' ripe banana
Hide the deadly black tarantula

Lift six foot, seven foot, eight foot BUNCH!

W2R, here are the Vogues with the Gazzarri Dancers. Notice the Blonde right in back of them. Her name is DeDe Mollner who danced on hundreds of videos but only once with the Vogues.
She danced on the Mashed Potato video with DeDe Sharp.

The Vogues - You're the One - YouTube

Here's DeDe again with the Turtles, I know W2R will like this song. Most of the Gazzarri Dance videos were from Holliwood A Go Go.

Last edited:
Here's DeDe again with the Turtles, I know W2R will like this song. Most of the Gazzarri Dance videos were from Holliwood A Go Go.]

I do like the song, and the Turtles did make it extremely popular, but I always liked the Bob Dylan version better so here it is. I know, I know, many people think he couldn't sing but I liked his music back in the day. He sang with a lot of heart (if not great pitch, oh well).

Bob Dylan- It ain`t me babe studio version - YouTube

Last edited:
Yup, great job by Dylan but I'd rather watch DeDe Mollner, if you know what I mean.

Yup, great job by Dylan but I'd rather watch DeDe Mollner, if you know what I mean.

I know. I always wished I could dance like that! At live outdoor concerts in the SF Bay Area back in the 60's, a particularly beautiful long haired blonde would show up and dance way up front by the stage, and get some in the audience dancing. I suppose she was probably paid by the promoter or maybe was a very active groupie. You would have loved watching her dance.

Last edited:
I thought I recognized her! Yes, who could forget that video.

She almost looks like Mary Travers to me with that hairstyle, except that I doubt Mary could dance like that.

Last edited:
More Gazzarri dancers along with a great tune.

The Sinners sing Last Time - YouTube

This is a pretty strange video. For research only? I was watching the musicians(?), and nobody was singing, at least not consistantly. I guess it could be a lipsynch deal, but it wasn't very convincing. Maybe a practice for the dancers and audience? Definitely an odd one.

What sort of sound system do you have in the SS, stock or an upgrade for cruising and playing these old sounds? I remember as a kid, riding with the windows down and radio blasting, only we didn't have the big bass that the modern systems have.

I don't really drive the old Chevelle that often so sounds are not that important.
Since the car is totally stock I don't fool with upgrades. The car does have an AM FM Stereo from the factory but the problem is that the radio stations don't play the Doo Wop stuff any longer. Seems only Beetles and later, most of us who can still remember the Doo Wop stuff are either deaf or dead.:blush:

This is a pretty strange video. For research only? I was watching the musicians(?), and nobody was singing, at least not consistantly. I guess it could be a lipsynch deal, but it wasn't very convincing. Maybe a practice for the dancers and audience? Definitely an odd one.

Heh, I didn't take notice of the singers. The dancers are what I was enjoying.

Back
Top Bottom