post your favorite oldies

I love this song, so many groups sang it. This is the original Students who sang with Frankie Lymon. Singing with Kid Kyle years ago. Pretty cool.

The original Innocents. Dying off since this performance.

Kathy originally sang this at 14 back in the 50's

Harptones - The Masquerade Is Over

Neil Sedaka does mini-concerts every weekday on YouTube and I suggested he cover it. It sounds like a song he would have done pre-70s. But he's just doing his own songs and some classical piano pieces so I don't expect him to cover it. Since age 75 he hasn't really nailed his songs very often but I still listen to parts of his mini-concerts. I think he's 81 now.

Not so old, but apropos for the Covid Travel threads:

Otis Redding

"(Sittin' On) The Dock of The Bay"

Oh, even better,

Al Green

"Let's Stay Together"

Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling

I like this song. I remember they were playing this at an audio equipment show in Phoenix in the early 70's probably to highlight their equipment with the synthesizer and deep bass. Sounded impressive.

Keith Emerson liked to do prog-rock takes on classical compositions -- here's his version of Sibelius' Karelia Suite.

I've always loved the music of Aretha Franklin. Her range was spectacular, and of course she could really belt a song out. Her backing singers add a special sauce as well -- Wikipedia says her sisters backed up a number of her hits, along with the Sweet Inspirations.

The band behind her was always tight as well. Rolling Stone says Dr. John was on piano for her recording of "Spanish Harlem."

I've been listening to oldies forever and just heard this one about a week ago. (Forever means since 1980)

Been listening to Vaughn Monroe. From my 90 yr old Grandmas era.

Back
Top Bottom