Proliferation of “assistance needed” passengers: safety issue?

The few times I've tried that it was like sniping on EBay. When not logged in exactly 24 hours in advance I was way in the back of B. Of course now I'm retired so perhaps that could work better.
True, I do try to check on on the dot. But on an hourly basis, it is a highly paid endeavor.

I flew Southwest today. Interestingly, when they offered to preboard “anyone needing extra assistance,” several able bodied road warriors stepped up to the jetway. They were not asked why they needed assistance but were just let on early. Meanwhile I had a B2 boarding position and had to go almost all the way back to be able to stow my carry-on bag overhead. By the way I paid for Earlybird checkin.

DS flies SW a lot for business, and he is considered "A-list", so he probably is one of those able-bodied people who is supposed to board right after the wheelchairs. Some might be active military, too, or an air marshall? Or SW staff?

Our last flight on SW this fall we bought early bird because we were still hiking in the woods 24 hours before our flight and we knew we wouldn't have cell reception. Turns out because of the California wildfires our flight was delayed. Well we lucked into a earlier flight, we boarded with the first group, and had our early bird refunded when we got home without even making a call.

Nice. I flew home Tuesday on SW (DH had stayed home, so just me). I checked my suitcase two hours before the flight and was offered an upgrade to a lower boarding number than my B-18. For $361. Since my ticket cost me only $45, I passed. So many games to play....

Here in Europe it is still not that unusual for our mostly European cabin mates to clap upon a successful landing. It's good to be reminded about not becoming too complacent!

I'm referring to economy class, of course. Those further up the comfort scale believe that they are entitled to a safe landing, so take it for granted. :)

-BB

The applause after landing also happens on flights in/out of Puerto Rico. It always makes me smile.

Here in Europe it is still not that unusual for our mostly European cabin mates to clap upon a successful landing. It's good to be reminded about not becoming too complacent!

I'm referring to economy class, of course. Those further up the comfort scale believe that they are entitled to a safe landing, so take it for granted. :)

-BB

So if you are in Business Class you can boo the pilot and heckle him when they bounce on touchdown? You suck!!!

is that golf clap or standing ovation? I have so many questions

We tried applauding on the Metro in Sofia, Bulgaria - got some odd looks.....especially after doing it at ten or more stations.

The premise of the thread is right... I have a friend who finds used vans that are outfitted to transport wheelchair bound people.... his phone is ringing off the hook. Demographis I guess.

Just took my disabled brother from Florida back to Boston yesterday.

He can walk but only short distances; not through an airport. I was a bit amazed at the difficulty going through security. It was like they never had a person in a wheelchair come through before (in Florida??).

Having said that, we booked First Class seats both down and back. He had more room to get into/out of the seat and I sat next to him. No issues with inconveniencing other passengers. (He was also the first one off the plane as we just got up and walked out and into a waiting wheelchair)

I just couldn't visualize trying to get him into a seat in 22C. That just wasn't going to work.

We tried applauding on the Metro in Sofia, Bulgaria - got some odd looks.....especially after doing it at ten or more stations.

Love it! Sofia, is on the 15-year travel list (while we are both "highly active" according to my schedules and charts).

-BB

So if you are in Business Class you can boo the pilot and heckle him when they bounce on touchdown? You suck!!!

is that golf clap or standing ovation? I have so many questions

It's a sometimes rousing, other times quiet outpouring of relief by a bunch of people who don't realize that the safest part of their journey is over. Next the taxis and rental cars!

-BB

Last edited:
DS flies SW a lot for business, and he is considered "A-list", so he probably is one of those able-bodied people who is supposed to board right after the wheelchairs. Some might be active military, too, or an air marshall? Or SW staff?

I don’t know about the “A-list” other than people in the A boarding group who are flying Business. And these folks didn’t look like active military or SW staff. They looked like average business travelers who didn’t want to spring for the Early Bird check-in but wanted a better boarding position. But I really don’t know, so perhaps I’m wrong.

Early Bird is a good value, though. It’s only $15 and saves you the trouble of trying to be online 24 hours before the flight. Today I had A40 boarding position and was able to get an aisle seat in Row 5!

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife uses a wheelchair, but can walk short distances.

We bring our own chair to the airport - unlike most.

The companion chair is folded at checked in at the jetway.

We are never sitting in an exit row, but she does appreciate not having to stand in a que in the jetway or airplane isle.

We both wait until the plane is nearly empty, pick up the wheelchair at the jetway and we exit.

We are thankful for the consideration.

I typically fly JetBlue and haven't ever noticed a significant amount of wheelchairs.
I'll have to pay more attention when I fly next in April.

I have flown BOS to PBI on JetBlue quite a few times, and yes, there are usually a lot of wheelchairs.

Back
Top Bottom