Provocative Facebook Observation

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
"Facebook makes me hate the people I know, and Reddit makes me love the people I don't." -- Alexis Ohanian
While it may be self-serving from the co-founder of Reddit, others have made the same observation comparing other sites to FB. And you have to wonder what the TMI threshold is when sharing online with friends, can it be excessive?

I make no predictions, but it will be interesting to see if Facebook succumbs to the same fate as MySpace and some of the other once very popular earlier social media sites.

A Reddit Co-Founder's Devastating One Line Takedown of Facebook - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

Everything changes, and ends. Predicting when and/or what will make things change/end is like predicting the ups and downs of the stock market.

Well since Zuckerberg wasn't there I'll make up my own one liner.

Facebook helps me figure out which acquaintance I want to become friends with, and Reddit makes me root for the zombies and the aliens.

Everything changes, and ends.
Herpes is forever. There also seems no end to the dumb things humans will do. Makes me think Darwin got it wrong...

I make no predictions, but it will be interesting to see if Facebook succumbs to the same fate as MySpace and some of the other once very popular earlier social media sites.

Facebook will die someday. That said, MySpace and other networking sites required a little bit more computer knowledge than FB to put up a good profile... and MySpace had 50 million users as of last month (however, I am counted in that despite the fact that I have not logged in there in over five years). Conversely, FB cracked one billion users... Twitter's got about 500 million users... etc.

Facebook gets something like 170 million unique visits each month, which is about eight times more than Twitter and more than ten times that of Pinterest, and three times more than the number of users than MySpace ever had.

Facebook will be around for quite some time. I wouldn't invest my money in it, but...

Back
Top Bottom