Queen Elizabeth Dies at 96 - Long Live the King

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
She had a good innings. She was loved by all, She was my family's Queen since her reign began in 1952, me being born in the UK in 1954. RIP.

Last edited:
Folks, show a little sympathy. This isn’t the place to discuss your feelings on Monarchy.

RIP, I thought she was a very gracious lady and beloved by many. I especially liked her love of Corgis:

Attachments

• 3A69B03A-F754-43A6-8638-C5EE332BD473.jpeg
    3A69B03A-F754-43A6-8638-C5EE332BD473.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 84
Though it was pretty clear this day was imminent lately, it is strange to think of her being gone, having been on the throne since even my Mum was a little girl. If you're a Brit, or even an expat, you know what I mean, and it's hard to articulate. "Institution" sounds insufficient, but there's no-one else in the modern era who comes close to being a national figurehead for ~70 years.

It will be very interesting to see the changes over the coming years.

ETA: The official photo accompanying the announcement via the Royal Family twitter account is quite lovely:

Attachments

• rip qe2.jpg
    rip qe2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Sure seemed like a class act... RIP.

My DGF and brother are very into the monarchy, me not so much but RIP.

She was a great lady and a role model for grace and respect. Saw her briefly once when I lived in England in the 80s.

Seems weird to think the queen had the ceremonious handing over of power to the new Prime Minister Liz Truss just two days ago.

I imagine all British news outlets (and all world news outlets for that matter) already had the obituary written. It's a sad day no matter where you fall on the monarchy meter. Have some empathy for those that enjoy the monarchy.

Seems weird to think the queen had the ceremonious handing over of power to the new Prime Minister Liz Truss just two days ago.

I imagine all British news outlets (and all world news outlets for that matter) already had the obituary written. It's a sad day no matter where you fall on the monarchy meter. Have some empathy for those that enjoy the monarchy.

Hopefully that didn’t make her sick!

I was kind of hoping she would hang in there and beat out Louis XIV of France for the longest reigning European monarch.

Great respect for the Queen - from her time in WW2 working in motor pool and as a driver right up to meeting with the new Prime Minister a few days ago she embodied grace and service. At 55 while riding in a parade someone stepped from the crowd and fired six shots (blanks) at her - she controlled her horse and continued. Keep calm and carry on. Which she did for 96 years. A well lived and admirable life.

https://www.insider.com/photos-queen-elizabeth-mechanic-world-war-ii-2020-4

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2942962535801785
(at 30 seconds in - composure under fire)

My condolences to all who (like me) are saddened by her passing.

I remember watching her coronation, which was amazing to me as a 4-year-old. I was so impressed with her beauty, grace, and elegance.

She gave her life to being the best Queen that anyone could possibly be.

She was a great lady who did her best in a job/ life that chose her She dedicated her life to the service of her country/ people in a statement when she turned 21. I believe she kept her promise. May she rest in peace

Reactions: W2R
She was very hard working and she changed with the times. I can’t believe she had a public appearance 2 days ago. The queen was one tough lady.

She had a good innings. She was loved by all, She was my family's Queen since her reign began in 1952, me being born in the UK in 1954. RIP.
She was my Queen as well, I'm just a few years younger than you and i saw her many times when I was a kid for whatever function she was attending in my town. Our house was on the main road that they would travel so we kids were always sent to the top of the drive to stand there for hours with our little Union Jack flags to wave as she or any of the Royals would pass the house.
The time I remember most was when my Auntie Emily took us kids to Crathie Kirk and the Queen and her family all walked down from Balmoral as was the custom back then. This would have been back in the late 60's maybe, Charles and Ann would have been teenagers at the time and they were a lovely family. Security was not much of an issue back then and they would say hello and stop and talk to people as they walked.

Liz Truss just came out and made a speech ending with God Save the King, which was very jarring to hear, I'm not ready for that yet.

Last edited:
R.I.P. Queen Elizabeth. It will be interesting to see how the future of The Royal family unfolds. For an entertaining look at its past - starting in 1947, I'd recommend Netflix' The Crown. There are four seasons available with two more to come starting this November.

Mod Note:

RIP threads are always contentious. Given this is someone of more important status than most to many in our global community, we'd like it to have a chance for at least a day's discussion.

To help us, please...cause of death speculations, anti-UK or monarchy sentiments, and general argumentativeness is a bad idea, let's at least give it 24 hours before our normal squabbling on this matter?

Posts that can't show this extra respect, for just this little while, will be subject to removal or edit.

Back
Top Bottom