Queen Elizabeth Dies at 96 - Long Live the King

She was a great leader for the Royal Family, amazing how she adapted with the times. Just think of all that changed in the world while she was Queen. I do believe history will have a very favorable overall review of her reign.

My 14th cousin 3x removed. Sadly she never made any of our family reunions

I for one will miss her. She was truly inspiring in her devotion to duty.

After so long, it is definitely going to be a challenge to refer to "the King" instead of "the Queen" but I'm sure we'll get used to it eventually. At least King Charles III will have no question in his mind about what kind of example to follow during his reign.

Hmmm. I wonder if the Corgis will be replaced by King Charles Spaniels.

Wow, I was surprised by some of the disrespectful comments (since removed) regarding the Queen's passing.

Even if one disagrees with her position as a monarch, she deserves everyone's respect because she was a loving spouse, a wonderful mother and grandmother, and someone who devoted her entire life to the betterment of her country and tirelessly carried out her duties and responsibilities with devotion and dignity and without complaint.

This world would be a much better place if everyone shares her sense of duty, dignity and responsibility.

RIP Her Majesty Elizabeth II

A sad day for most of us with UK connections. I always appreciated the length of her experience on the international stage. With no elections to worry about she really could have a unique perspective that prime ministers and presidents never could.

I imagine all British news outlets (and all world news outlets for that matter) already had the obituary written.

I have a close relative who is an executive producer at a major British broadcaster in the news division. They've had that show ready to go for decades. It got updated periodically, obviously, and my relative did some of those updates in the 90s. This is the biggest story of their career, followed by 9-11.

The world's queen, and the world's grandmother has passed. Tears in this household.

Yes - this. Indeed, the term "The Queen" has become virtually synonymous with "Queen Elizabeth II".

For all the things some here may fault her for, please remember: for her...there was no "early retirement".

She was a great lady who did her best in a job/ life that chose her She dedicated her life to the service of her country/ people in a statement when she turned 21. I believe she kept her promise. May she rest in peace

Well said... "a job/life that chose her". She is/was an inspiration... integrity, honor, responsibility all matter. She exemplified that.

She was very hard working and she changed with the times. I can’t believe she had a public appearance 2 days ago. The queen was one tough lady.

That's the amazing part to me... two days ago she was accepting the resignation of the outgoing PM and forming a government with the new PM.

This picture from two days ago shows her frailty but also conveys her amazing ability to serve her country regardless of her personal situation.

https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/2112...webp?w=790&f=585fa4a5b5d20be7fa7943dd52de862d

She held on for the jubilee, and after a lifetime of service, she has now gone to join her beloved Prince.

My condolences to her family, subjects and admirers.

Last edited:
Well said... "a job/life that chose her". She is/was an inspiration... integrity, honor, responsibility all matter. She exemplified that.
Many folks may not be aware that she was never really in line for the throne so she was not raised, as a child, with that in mind. Her uncle Edward and his (potential) progeny were in direct line until he opted to abdicate in order to marry Wallis Simpson. That made Elizabeth's father King George and cemented Elizabeth as heir since she was the elder of the King's two daughters (no male child.) Then, when her father died fairly young, she became Queen at a fairly young age (25.) It's truly a tribute to the Queen that she ruled for so long over a turbulent time for the British monarchy with grace, honor and stability.

Admired by many around the world. My elderly mother will be extra sad.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Great respect for the Queen - from her time in WW2 working in motor pool and as a driver right up to meeting with the new Prime Minister a few days ago she embodied grace and service. At 55 while riding in a parade someone stepped from the crowd and fired six shots (blanks) at her - she controlled her horse and continued. Keep calm and carry on. Which she did for 96 years. A well lived and admirable life.

https://www.insider.com/photos-queen-elizabeth-mechanic-world-war-ii-2020-4

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2942962535801785
(at 30 seconds in - composure under fire)

She was the real deal. She talked with youngsters who lost their parents in WWII when she was only 15. She walked the walk.

England had the stiff upper lift that the Axis couldn't break. Great Britain held them off virtually by themselves for over a year alone. She was part of it.

Thank God for people like her or the world wouldn't be what it is today.

I for one will miss her. She was truly inspiring in her devotion to duty.

After so long, it is definitely going to be a challenge to refer to "the King" instead of "the Queen" but I'm sure we'll get used to it eventually. At least King Charles III will have no question in his mind about what kind of example to follow during his reign.

Hmmm. I wonder if the Corgis will be replaced by King Charles Spaniels.

I don’t think so. The new King and his consort have rescue dogs:
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...camilla-dog-anniversary-2020-photo-questions/

I definitely admired her! Great perseverance and fortitude throughout so many changes in her long life. It is going to be hard to remember that Charles has finally graduated from Prince to King.

Great respect for her devotion to duty and country. She also did a pretty good job of staying politically neutral as evidenced by the numerous kind comments coming from both sides of the aisle.

She held the monarchy together through turbulent times both internal and external. Will be interesting to observe the future of that same monarchy.

She was apparently a strong Christian. Hers was a life well done.

It seems to me that she, as much as any human, may lay claim to these words of scripture:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

II Timothy 4:7 (NKJV)

Last edited:
England is and has been a good ally to America as we have been to England. I'm no royal watcher and like many Americans, I find the whole royalty thing rather uninteresting but it is their culture and I respect that. I always thought Queen Elizabeth was a nice person.

Queen Elizabeth always presented herself as a class act yet despite being the Queen she had a down to earth quality about her. I often thought when seeing her at some ceremony that she would like to just have a good time but her station limited it. Despite that, she frequently would be seen meeting with the crowds who were thrilled to see her and she seemed genuinely happy to meet them too. Most Britons alive today have known no other monarch. I don't see anyone filling her shoes especially her son.

In a world filled with treachery and evil, England has been one of the few noble countries. I have a heavy heart over her death, the world just won't be the same without Queen Elizabeth. She did her duty to her country and now may she rest in peace.

I remember singing 'God Save the Queen' every morning in school. She seemed a very gracious person who saw her duty and performed it to the best of her abilities - which were extraordinary. RIP.

She was friends with, had tea with Paddington Bear, and liked Marmalade, so I'm in. :)

96 Gun Salute, that's cool. RIP

<mod note> Multiple posts have been removed. Let’s please stay on topic. Any new posts off topic will also be removed without notification.

Last edited:
We're travelling soon to the heart of Ireland, Germany and Amsterdam. It will be interesting to hear what's said in different areas.

My condolences to all who (like me) are saddened by her passing.

I remember watching her coronation, which was amazing to me as a 4-year-old. I was so impressed with her beauty, grace, and elegance.

She gave her life to being the best Queen that anyone could possibly be.

We didn't have TV when I was 5 but Movietone News carried the Coronation. It was like a fairy tale come true. I remember thinking that the Queen was beautiful. I still think that. What a life well lived. Only regret: Her Majesty never had a chance to Retire Early.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom