Quotes. Your favourite?

As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Einstein

As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Einstein

Reminds me of

The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract. Olivier Wendell Holmes

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Of course, I temper this with investing for FIRE. :cool:

Marc

Last edited:
Back in my last art class (8th grade - it was required) I had absolutely no talent. Still, I did okay on one assignment which was to produce a poster, hand lettered in Old English. I think the teacher gave me a decent grade because she loved the saying I used.

Those who think in inches
But talk by yards
Should be kicked by feet.

Think I've shared this here before. But I still love it after 50 years.

Back in my last art class (8th grade - it was required) I had absolutely no talent. Still, I did okay on one assignment which was to produce a poster, hand lettered in Old English. I think the teacher gave me a decent grade because she loved the saying I used. Those who think in inches But talk by yards Should be kicked by feet. Think I've shared this here before. But I still love it after 50 years.

I've never heard that, but love it! Boy, that applies to a lot of blowhards I know!

What is measured, is managed.

I have two...

“When you come to the edge of all that you know, you must believe one of two things: either there will be ground to stand on, or you will be given wings to fly.”

― O.R. Melling, The Summer King

"I am just another bozo on the bus!"

The quote in my signature line, and:

"And this, too, shall pass away"

A quote Lincoln used in a speech, as part of an ancient story in which a monarch asks his men to come up with a saying that would be always true, in all times and all situations.

Any idiot can pay full price.

See my sig line for a good one from my father in law. I added the second line.

You can put lip stick on it, but it is still a pig.

As fate would have it, I received a book by Tom McGuane in the mail today. This line, from the preface, jumped right out at me:
"It serves no one to suggest that broken hearts are never repaired..."

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Lord Acton

What... me worry? Alfred E Newman.

“Comparison is the death of joy.” ― Mark Twain

No wonder Facebook gets folks depressed :LOL:

"If there's a 50-50 chance of us winning, 9 times out of 10 we will."

"I'd make a mental note, but I don't have anything to write on."

"Creativity is simply forgetting where you stole the idea from."

"A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed tomorrow"

"Those who constantly worry what others think of them would be surprised to learn how little they really care"

"stupid prizes for stupid people"

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" - Anon.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese" - Anon.

"Hard work pays off in the future, but laziness pays off now." - Anon.

I have too many favorites to list them all. Here's some more.

"A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." - Lily Tomlin"

Back
Top Bottom