Quotes. Your favourite?

I used to have an email program that you could put quotes in a file and it would randomize them to create a different quote in your signature every time you used it. That was my favorite thing about that program. Anyway, I still have my quote file. Here are some I like:

Our vision is more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge. -Kristen Stendahl

[FONT=&quot]The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. -Anonymous[/FONT]

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

If at first you don't succeed, try again - if you still fail, give up - no sense being a damn fool about it. -- W.C. Fields

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life. -- Andrew Brown

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. -- Leo Tolstoy

I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird, and not enough the bad luck of the early worm. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. -- Bertrand Russell

There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats. -- Anonymous

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this. -- Anonymous

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. -- Anonymous

President Thieu says he'll quit if he doesn't get more than 50% of the vote. In a democracy, that's not called quitting. -- The Washington Post

When you say that you agree to a thing in principle you mean that you have not the slightest intention of carrying it out in practice. -- Bismarck

President Thieu says he'll quit if he doesn't get more than 50% of the vote. In a democracy, that's not called quitting. -- The Washington Post

When you say that you agree to a thing in principle you mean that you have not the slightest intention of carrying it out in practice. -- Bismarck

I had a linguistics professor who said that it's man's ability to use language that makes him the dominant species on the planet. That may be. But I think there's one other thing that separates us from animals. We aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners." - Jeff Stilson

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God. -- Anonymous

You can always tell a cat, but you can't tell him much. -- Anonymous

At least dogs do what you tell them to do. Cats take a message and get back to you. -- Anonymous

Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow. -- Jeff Valdez

We wonder why the cats always drink out of our toilets, but look at it from their point of view: why do humans keep peeing into their water bowls? -- Anonymous

If a cat spoke, it would say things like, “Hey, I don't see the problem here." -- Joseph Wood Krutch

The difference between papa and mama is that mama loves morals and papa loves cats. -- Susy Clemens (Mark Twain's daughter)

Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older persons, especially if vain or important, cannot learn at all. -- Thomas Szasz

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Ah, talk about principles, here's a quote from Groucho Marx.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I always liked: "Do right and fear no man. Don't write and fear no woman." Often attributed to John Dewar of Dewars' Scotch fame.

"One man with courage makes a majority!" Often attributed to General (and President) Andrew Jackson

prof12

I often quoted below to my employees:

“Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. ” - Will Rogers.

What is measured is managed.

"An optimist builds dream castles in the sky, a pessimist lives there and a realist collects rent from both of them"

Hmmm if the early bird catches the worm..... then it is the early worm that gets caught.

1) There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence quite so important, as living within your means

2) All Man's problems stem from his inability to sit quietly, in a room alone

" I don't know whether to be ecstatic or ludicrous" Mike Tyson after winning a fight

Hmmm if the early bird catches the worm..... then it is the early worm that gets caught.

Speaking of... I got my earthworm book this week (see the "What have you read?" thread). I may get all squirmy on you people.

It reminded me of an adorable little girl who was haranguing her uncle on a lake vacation: "I wanna go to da WORM STORE!". "Why?". "I wanna go fissing!".

"I've seen what you do. That's not fishing, it's worm aviation". Made me smile for days :)

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."

It's my go to line for telling someone off :), with a hand wave, of course.

My favorites:

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it" - Pope John Paul II

"There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition there." - Indira Ghandi

Or it's the worm that hung out late partying the night before. :cool:

Seems a good quote for this tread

"After all is said and done, more is said than done" - Aesop

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

Shaw

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which the reason so few engage in it."- Henry Ford

"This is so simple a child of 5 could do it.
Fetch me a child of 5." - Groucho Marx

"It reminds of my journey into the wilds of Afghanistan. We lost the corkscrew, and were compelled to survive on nothing but food and water for several days."

W.C. Fields

"It is easy to have time and it is easy to have money, only the truely wealthy have both.". DLVorhees.

"A man is only as old as the woman he feels." - Groucho Marx

"Finance is the art of passing currency from hand to hand until it finally disappears"

Robert Sarnoff

Back
Top Bottom