Recipe Manager

MBAustin

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I'm in the process of moving all of my "notes" out of Evernote (I'll post separately about that) and decided that recipes should go into a proper recipe manager app rather than a notes app. I had planned to use Paprika, which was recommended by a friend several years ago, but before I bought it, I read about a newish app called Mela. After moving more than 600 recipes into it and also using it for cooking last night, I highly recommend it. The only downside is that it is Apple-only (MacOS and IOS). It is fast, slick, and easy to import recipes in from websites using its built-in browser. You can try it for up to 10 recipes before paying, and it's a one-time price of $10 for Mac and $5 for IOS - it uses iCloud to sync if you have both, and that worked seamlessly for me.

I use copymethat.com which is kind of a neat idea - it installs an extension on your browser and if you're on a page with a recipe (even a reddit page), it copies the recipe and saves it. It is able to ignore all the bs an just get the recipe.

I use copymethat.com which is kind of a neat idea - it installs an extension on your browser and if you're on a page with a recipe (even a reddit page), it copies the recipe and saves it. It is able to ignore all the bs an just get the recipe.

Oh- I need this! I hate online recipes because of all the “stories” and other bs I don’t care about.
Last night a friend sent me one and my solution was to print the pages that actually had the recipe.
I ended up buying a physical book on bread making because I couldn’t stand all of those recipes online.
OP- does your new app save the recipes without the other stuff?
It only being apple would be ok for me.

OP- does your new app save the recipes without the other stuff?
It only being apple would be ok for me.

So far it's been perfect at this - it captures one main image at the top but ignores all of the rest of them, even on a really busy page where you have to jump to the recipe to actually read it. It captures the ingredients and instructions, and on some it even gets the nutritional info (I suspect it depends on how the site formats that).

I have a stack of favorite recipes 3" tall--printed off the internet.

If I need a recipe, I'll just go to "Best of" recipes online and print another recipe. I have enough paper recipes already.

I'm not sure it works for every recipe, but it seems like any I have printed out just print the recipe and not all the fluff that so often goes along with the online recipe. Generally, there is a "print" button on the page somewhere.

I'm not sure it works for every recipe, but it seems like any I have printed out just print the recipe and not all the fluff that so often goes along with the online recipe. Generally, there is a "print" button on the page somewhere.

That's what I do, and then copy and paste the result into my wordprocessor libreOffice to save it.

That way if I modify the recipe, I can change my copy for future printing if needed.

Oh- I need this! I hate online recipes because of all the “stories” and other bs I don’t care about.

If I don’t see a “jump to recipe” button I go on to the next google search result.

Then there are the reviews. “Ohhh, I haven’t made it yet but it looks good - five stars!” Or, “I substituted rice flour for the confectioner’s sugar and dishwashing soap for the eggs and it was terrible. Zero stars!”

If I don’t see a “jump to recipe” button I go on to the next google search result.

Then there are the reviews. “Ohhh, I haven’t made it yet but it looks good - five stars!” Or, “I substituted rice flour for the confectioner’s sugar and dishwashing soap for the eggs and it was terrible. Zero stars!”

Seriously!
I’m usually reading recipes on my phone because it’s usually a link sent to me by a friend.
After reading this thread I sent a recipe to my laptop and brought up the recipe and went to print and it worked great.
I can print from my phone but for some reason I never saw that print button. Maybe it was the configuration of the recipe on my phone or maybe it was operator error. [emoji848]

I'm glad I'm not the only person that gets annoyed at the direction online recipes have evolved. What a nuisance. I'm not sure I use recipes enough to warrant my own app for storing them, but kudos to those of you who have found one that works for you.

I wanted to make cheeseburger soup last week so I went online looking for a good-sounding recipe. On Reddit, I found about 5 different sounding recipes that all took me to the same exact recipe. I mean if you click on something that specifically indicates it's a crockpot recipe, it should not take you to a frying pan recipe.

Last edited:
I copy and paste just the information from the recipe along with one image to OneNote. After making sure it only prints ONE page, I print it and stick it in a binder. Having it in OneNote also allows me to edit it, change to the units of measurement I prefer, make notes about substitutions, etc. The binder has dividers for various categories, like Mexican, Italian, Salads, Desserts.

I prefer to work off a printed copy.

I asked a friend who is a bit of a recipe collector and he swears by Recipe Keeper. Free to try, and works and syncs on all kinds of devices. It's by a UK developer and seems to get excellent reviews.

Back
Top Bottom