Retiring in one's 30s? Is that really RE or abondoning job/career/work life/more?

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've seen posts by REs who retired in their 30s. Every time I see one, I wonder if the person is entering RE or is he just running away from his job/career/work life/society? Anyone else wondered about this? What says you who retired in their 30s? What "really" made you quit work (or enter RE) so early in your life? Did RE last?

Questions not meant for those who are a single income family where woman (or man) has full time job taking care of kids, home, etc. That's not RE in my book.

Last edited:
I've seen posts by REs who retired in their 30s. Every time I see one, I wonder if the person is entering RE or is he just running away from his job/career/work life/society? Anyone else wondered about this? What says you who retired in their 30s? What "really" made you quit work (or enter RE) so early in your life? Did RE last?

Questions not meant for those who are a single income family where woman (or man) has full time job taking care of kids, home, etc. That's not RE in my book.
Running away?!? :eek:

How about, I had other things I really wanted to do once I felt quite secure in our financial independence (i.e. we no longer needed to work to earn a living).

Besides, I was only a few months from my 40th birthday, and it was 1999, so a major life change seemed apropos for the start of a new century.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think if we had to do things over again we would have had a smaller house in a more middle class neighborhood, both gone into contracting and each worked half the year instead of going into management. I don't think we would have had enough money to retire in our 30s either way. I don't mind working part-time. I actually like the mental challenge. It is the rigid 8 - 5 schedules, the two weeks vacation, the sitting all day that isn't healthy, the 40+ hours of work plus commute and the not seeing the sun or getting out in nature except on weekends that bothered me.

Basically I would have leveraged our job skills for more leisure time instead of a big house and lots of stuff:

Keynes was, incredibly, right about the future. He was wrong about how we’d be spending it. - The Washington Post

"The question Keynes set out to solve was how humanity would adapt to a world of abundance. “He saw two options,” explains Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz. “One was that we could consume ever more goods. Or we could enjoy more leisure. What worried Keynes was that when you looked at how people in the British upper classes spent their leisure, he was not overly enthralled with what he saw.” By and large, we have chosen door number one."

Last edited:
Ancestral/tribal studies show work took a couple hours a day, everyone participated to their ability.
The rest of the day was used to socialize, rest, play.... This of course varied from woo hoo during a salmon run to dagnabit it is winter time.

A look at more modern times:
History of Work Ethic
History of Work Ethic--1.Attitudes Toward Work During the Classical Period

Winning at 30 is not a bad place to be on the bell curve.

Juliet Schor, author of The Overworked American, says we work more than medieval serfs:

Why a medieval peasant got more vacation time than you | The Great Debate

I remember making a lot of money one day (back in 1987) and deciding not to go into the office the next day and it eventually just became a habit. 27 years later and I don't even remember where on Wall St. the office even was!

Hmm. This work ethic thing is then a modern day invention. I have been duped.

I don't see any difference between retiring at 35 or 55. At 55, you still have at least 10 good years before full retirement age. Why waste them on retirement? What are you running from? ;)

I can see how leaving a job while young might be viewed as running away from work/career. But how could it ever be construed as running away from life or society unless you believe there is no life outside of work, and no society except through work?

I have a friend who's husband made it big when his startup was sold. He chose not to go back to work. He was 35. That doesn't mean he was running away from his job/career/work/life/society. He'd cashed out and now could spend his time doing what he wanted. My friend continued to work - but retired a year or two ago, herself - in her late 40's. They have no kids, have a small house in a great part of Berkeley... and find plenty to amuse themselves. They are active in various meetup groups, active in the arts communities, and big time foodies. How does that equate to running away.

I'm always surprised when I see a HUGE success (financially) then the person doesn't sit back and enjoy it - but instead goes to a lesser position - just to keep their hand in the game. Sanjay Jha - former CEO of Motorola Mobility is an example of this. He made well over $100M for a few years work - and got a big lump sum when Google bought MMI. Now he's working for a smaller chip company that few have heard of. I wonder why he doesn't just enjoy his time with his wife and kids. He's definitely not running away from work/job - but perhaps he's running away from his family...

I guess the counter question to make is:
"If you can afford to retire early and spend more time with your family, or pursuing your passions - why would you continue to work for money you don't need? Why are you running from your passions and family""

Ancestral/tribal studies show work took a couple hours a day, everyone participated to their ability.
The rest of the day was used to socialize, rest, play.... This of course varied from woo hoo during a salmon run to dagnabit it is winter time.

A look at more modern times:
History of Work Ethic
History of Work Ethic--1.Attitudes Toward Work During the Classical Period

Winning at 30 is not a bad place to be on the bell curve.

It is still that way in much of the world.

I guess the counter question to make is:
"If you can afford to retire early and spend more time with your family, or pursuing your passions - why would you continue to work for money you don't need? Why are you running from your passions and family""
+1

This is probably a wrong forum to ask b/c REs here are successful retirees by and large. But I wonder how many of those 30 something retirees outside of this forum eventually went back to work force (too bored, ran out of money, gained responsibility - married, children).

I've seen retirees (some of you may know/remember) who sold everything and went oversees to live on a small budget. How about those who packed up and went into wilderness to live? That's a form of RE or is it more than that? What about young homeless you on busy street with their hands out? Is that work or could we considered them RE'd. It's Friday at work and my mind is wondering ... can't wait until I go home. TGIF.

This is probably a wrong forum to ask b/c REs here are successful retirees by and large. But I wonder how many of those 30 something retirees outside of this forum eventually went back to work force (too bored, ran out of money, gained responsibility - married, children).

I've seen retirees (some of you may know/remember) who sold everything and went oversees to live on a small budget. How about those who packed up and went into wilderness to live? That's a form of RE or is it more than that? What about young homeless you on busy street with their hands out? Is that work or could we considered them RE'd. It's Friday at work and my mind is wondering ... can't wait until I go home. TGIF.

This may be the wrong forum because people here either have a goal/plan of retiring early, or have already executed that plan.

Leaving the country to a low cost of living place doesn't strike me as running from society - in fact, in many cases, it's running to a much more crowded and bustling society.

I'm sorry if I'm picking on your question but your started out by wording early retirement as "abandoning" job/career/work/life.... which is a judgemental term. Now you are equating it with homelessness and panhandling. It kind of seems like anyone who pursues a different path, or has a different goal/lifestyle, you are looking down on them...

I fully admit I'm probably reading too much into your statements.

The second part of your question is probably not going to find an answer here.

But I think that the first part is a valid question. I enjoy my leisurely life tremendously, but will I live that way for the next 40 or 50 years? Maybe, maybe not. I am already married, we have zero plan to have kids, but there could be increased financial responsibilities with regard to our parents. Running out of money is always a possibility (economic or geopolitical crises, big retirement mistakes, etc...). "Life events" like a divorce could also take a toll. And while I don't get bored easily, I like to shake things up every so often to keep it exciting. If an exciting opportunity comes along, be it w*rk-related, I am not going to turn it down just to keep my laminated "retired" badge. Personally, I think that these are challenges that all retirees face (My MIL got divorced at 64 and had to make some tough adjustments when she almost ran out of money at 67, including going back to work). So I accept the fact that things can change.

I moved overseas to enjoy a NYC lifestyle at a far lower cost when you consider all factors. Skipping the financial crisis,tripling real estate prices,7-10% returns on CD's and beautiful young women were all icing on the cake.:dance:

I don't know if others who retired very young from the company I worked for ever went back to the way thing were. Some had fun hobbies that morphed into side businesses even though it was just for fun - like designing control systems for hot air balloons, for example. Others focused on raising families. Then there are folks who had more than enough to retire yet had such a strong entrepreneurial streak that they didn't want to do anything else. Elon Musk is a good example of this type. There was another non-retiree I suspected was waiting for his children to grow up before giving up the daily office escape.

I anecdotally know of one 30s retiree who was living the high life - apartment in Paris, etc. who got bored and went back to his law career. He just didn't find anything else that challenged him enough to be happy.

People are wired very differently. There is no one size fits all.

Yes, some retirees run out of sufficient funds and go back to work. It happens at all stages. 2008 was a tough year for some folks, as was 2001/2002. Or something happens to cause a major life change and dire financial repercussions.

At the risk of sounding heretical on a RE forum, I think it is not a such a bad question to ask. But I think a lot of the answer depends on your definition of your job or work, especially whether you own your own business.

When I was in my 30s, I was just starting my own business. I actually got work doing things I was doing already (uP data acquisiton, processing, modelling) on my own projects. In fact I got hired for some jobs because people saw what I was doing on my own. So I just got to get paid for doing what I was doing already. And thought that was pretty cool. And in addition, my work exposed me to many other aspects of technology and industry that I was not familiar with, and I got to do many more exciting things than I think I would have been able to do completely alone.

Now I was not FI at that time, but I don't think it would have made a difference. I was too excited about starting my own consulting business and the projects I was doing. And others I knew then, one who was a superb engineer, who could have RE, with family wealth, started his own business at the same time, and it is still going strong. We worked togehter on a number of projects. He went on to get a large number of patents, travel around the world giving lectures at scientific society meetings, working with the best physisists in his field. Things he likely would never have done otherwise.

I knew another guy with great family wealth who's whole family worked in real estate development. I often wondered why they didn't just invest the money and relax, but it was not in their nature. They enjoyed what they were doing.

Another man I knew and worked with, had started a health device business in the 1950s, was still going strong into his late 70s. Still making 10 year plans for his business, starting into new ventures, talking about the latest scientific literature to scientists much younger than himself. I once asked him why he did it, he clearly had accumulated enough to live in as much luxury as anyone could want. He told me he simply felt he was making a contribution. But I think he was simply having too much fun. He always seemed excited about the next great medical breakthrough.

On the other hand another guy I knew sold out a very successful software company for big bucks, could have retired and lived well. But felt he needed to start another business, sunk a lot of money into it, but it could never be as successful as his first. Think it just faded away.

And another guy made a lot of money selling his medical device to a big conglomerate. Made a ton of money, but later lost it all because he felt the need for a do-over in the same field. Never was able to make anything of it, lost most of what he had accumulated.

What about the running away part? I don't think there has ever been anything I have worked on, or anyone I have worked with (or lived with or partied with etc), whom at some time I wanted to say, take this ... and shove it. I got to get the heck out of here! But later I was glad that I didn't say it or do it. And often the short term bad experiences turned into long term good ones.

So is retiring early (or anytime for that matter) running away, or just running (or strolling) in a different direction? It really depends. Depends on the time (sometimes exciting things get old), the individual, the situation, the work, your attitude and temperament and most of all where are you in the timeline of your life.

It is not a bad question.

I pulled the plug on what I think of as my career a few months after exiting my 30s. Was I "running away" from something? Sure: endless bullcrap, constant business travel, a job so dull that I could hardly stand it, very little time for my family/myself, etc. Am I supposed to love being tortured? There is way more to life than the 4 walls of a cube.

WTF is "work life?" Brainwashed much?

I areed this morning to a contract job that is supposed to last a year and will start about 9 months after I ended my career. When I quit my job, I was eager enough to do so that I did it with an adequate, but not enormous pile of assets. Since I am 40 and have two kids 10 and under, I bailed on the cube with the idea that if something that was sufficiently lucrative and not too painful came along I would take it in order to cut the tail risk off of things like sequence of returns risk. It appears I have been handed such an opportunity. I am still deeply conflicted about work intruding once again on my life, but it is only for a year and it involves no commute, a certain amount of schedule flexibility, minimal travel and the opportunity to work with a friend. If I had double my portfolio I would not ever have entertained the idea of doing this.

I can honestly say, looking back over my 30+ year IT career, that it means nothing in the grand scheme of things, and that if I had been financially able to in my 30's (or even 20's), I would have escaped from it.

I'd much rather have enjoyed life pursuing other things than being trapped sitting in a cube all day, or doing some other mundane boring task.

So in my case, yes, I would have been abandoning job/career/work but not life. I would have enjoyed life more, having the time and money to pursue things I actually cared about.

The same thoughts go through my head. I think your questions are valid, and I hope you see more answers from those who retired in their 30s. The word "retirement" is going through a major metamorphosis right now, and people visualize different scenarios when they use it.

I assume it took most of us here at least two or three decades of living beneath our means and investing to the maximum to arrive at FI. Conveniently, that's about the amount of time it takes to really sour you on the corporate life and push you into early retirement!

Back
Top Bottom