Revamping the Jury System

I say, how about serve one time, won't be called again for at least another 5 years? That might boost morale for serving.

The only part I really object to is the hours and hours just sitting around in the jury pool room waiting to see if you might be called into an actual courtroom. But even that has an explanation. As I've heard it, many cases go right up the the moment of a scheduled trial and then get settled. The big group of jurors is just sitting there waiting on the off chance that there might not be a settlement.

This is a prime example of the "monkey business" that I referred to in post 23. Instead of allowing the lawyers to "play chicken" to see which one folds first, how about requiring them and their clients to act like adults, make a decision the day before, or even better the week before, and hold them to it and stop wasting so many other people's time.

Having just spent this Monday at the courthouse as a potential juror, I have some ideas.
1. Pay prospective jurors a decent daily rate ($200+) right from the start. Self-employed people are screwed by the current system. Hourly wage people with crappy employers are screwed even more.
2. Daycare is good. Denver County has that. Yea!
3. Treat jurors with respect.
a. Don't drag 48 prospects into a courtroom when you are seating a 6+1 person jury. As number 47 on the list, I knew I was never going to get called.
b. Don't make me sit on a rock hard wooden bench (this should not be a Calvinist experience) for 3+ hours listening to lawyers question people.
c. Kick people out of the jury box as soon as it is obvious they will not be on the jury. For example, a woman sitting in the box did not understand who the plaintiff and defendant were after 2+ hours of questioning. Yet, she was not booted until the very end. for example, plaintiff is suing Company A and a person in the box works for Company A. He sat there for over an hour before being booted right at the end.

After spending a fair part of my life in countries with no jury system, I think our jury system works very well and I'd be reluctant to make big changes. If people don't want to serve, I don't want them on my jury.

Paying people fairly so part time / hourly employees can afford to go makes sense. So does helping with transportation and childcare.

I say, how about serve one time, won't be called again for at least another 5 years? That might boost morale for serving.

We kind of have that here. If you just show up and don't get put on a trial, then you're exempt for 1 year. If you serve on a jury, you're exempt for 3 years.

We kind of have that here. If you just show up and don't get put on a trial, then you're exempt for 1 year. If you serve on a jury, you're exempt for 3 years.

That's a sweet deal where you are at. For me if I serve, I'm only exempt for 1 year.

At least the turkey sandwich and chips I had for lunch break when last serving hit the spot :).

Stop letting the attorneys pick the jurors. Randomly pick citizens from various backgrounds, race, religion, sex and so on. I think this is the way to pick our political representatives too. Just pick people, citizens, randomly. School them in US law.

My dander is up now, dadgummit!

I've never had a problem with jury duty. Sure, it's an inconvenience, and it was usually a small financial sacrifice, but it's a civic duty
As an American and a human being who cares about his fellow man, I'm not just happy but eager to do my civic duty. But that's no reason the court system has to treat me like chattel.

"Put your life on hold for some indefinite period of time until we arbitrarily release you. Whatever you had planned to be doing isn't nearly as important as whatever we feel like doing. Oh, and it will cost you a few bucks, too" is hardly the consideration that citizens of a free country should expect from their government.

The only part I really object to is the hours and hours just sitting around in the jury pool room waiting to see if you might be called into an actual courtroom. But even that has an explanation. As I've heard it, many cases go right up the the moment of a scheduled trial and then get settled. The big group of jurors is just sitting there waiting on the off chance that there might not be a settlement.
I've been there. It's an appalling abuse of power to waste everybody's day while lawyers haggle. Let them squabble on their own time. If any business did this to its customers it would be out of business.

Whew! I feel better now! :)

@Rianne, Oh no, I don’t think that’s a good idea. I did serve on one Jury once, one young woman kept going on about the lawyer, young WASP from Yale, she thought he was arrogant, I didn’t see it that way. We spent the whole afternoon tried to convince her to change her mind. Good thing we had somebody who did serve before and was rational.

@Rianne, Oh no, I don’t think that’s a good idea. I did serve on one Jury once, one young woman kept going on about the lawyer, young WASP from Yale, she thought he was arrogant, I didn’t see it that way. We spent the whole afternoon tried to convince her to change her mind. Good thing we had somebody who did serve before and was rational.

I guess everyone judges people, whether they're attorneys or Uber drivers. I meant to express, attorneys get to grill every possible juror to see if they fit the agenda they're interested in. If it's a murder trial, the attorneys ask if possible jurors are for or against the death penalty. IMHO, the judicial system serves the judges and attorneys. Does justice really exist? Ok, I'm done, will probable get porky.

I guess everyone judges people, whether they're attorneys or Uber drivers. I meant to express, attorneys get to grill every possible juror to see if they fit the agenda they're interested in. If it's a murder trial, the attorneys ask if possible jurors are for or against the death penalty. IMHO, the judicial system serves the judges and attorneys. Does justice really exist? Ok, I'm done, will probable get porky.

lots of answers to your questions here -

https://fija.org/

After spending a fair part of my life in countries with no jury system, I think our jury system works very well and I'd be reluctant to make big changes. If people don't want to serve, I don't want them on my jury.

Paying people fairly so part time / hourly employees can afford to go makes sense. So does helping with transportation and childcare.

I agree, for the most part. I have traveled to countries, but not lived in them, where Justice is a joke. We have an imperfect system, but it is better than the alternative. The only time I was called was not a real inconvenience. I was employed, and the company paid me. But a lot of employers do not. If you were losing money by being there, it COULD influence how you vote (just get it over).

In my case, I have been called once in over 40 years of eligibility. There is something wrong with the system, when others get called every 2-3 years.

Maybe an "opt in"? Maybe we need more retirees serving? :D

Last edited:
attorneys get to grill every possible juror to see if they fit the agenda they're interested in.

I see that as a feature, not a bug. BOTH sides get to eliminate potential jurors they think could hurt their case. It's even-handed. And except for a small number of peremptory challenges, they have to state a reason for dismissing a juror that is acceptable to the judge. Not a bad system.

I've served twice. No big inconvenience as megacorp made up the earnings difference once and I was retired the second time.
As for the suggestions, in NY we don't get recalled for years after serving (5 or 7), and we can volunteer for duty, so kind of a semipro juror pool can exist.
Last time I had a trip planned and they let me slide till the next month. Then I was illl and they let me slide another. The commisioner was pretty accommodating.

I did serve on one Jury once, one young woman kept going on about the lawyer, young WASP from Yale,
If you complain about other members using racial stereotypes you should refrain from using them yourself.

If you complain about other members using racial stereotypes you should refrain from using them yourself.

I thought she was being racist myself. But this is against a lawyer, which had nothing to do with defendant, which I thought was on trial.
It’s not always white privilege as the press like you to believe.

Last edited:
I thought she was being racist myself. But this is against a lawyer, which had nothing to do with defendant, which I thought was on trial.
Then there's no need to post it here.

Let's get back to the thread topic...

I've served twice. No big inconvenience as megacorp made up the earnings difference once and I was retired the second time.

one of my old megas required us to remit the jury duty pay to our accounting department :facepalm:

one of my old megas required us to remit the jury duty pay to our accounting department :facepalm:

I w*rked for a little company that made us do that too. Seemed only fair since they paid our normal salary and had to do without us for those days.

Per my post #24 above:

Juror selection as usual. Jurors go home.

Trial with judge, and attorneys only... to be videotaped, and given to jurors.

In those jurisdictions where jurors can ask questions:

The states that expressly encourage judges to allow jurors to question witnesses are Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Nevada and North Carolina. Out of these jurisdictions, Arizona, Florida, and Kentucky require that judges allow jurors to ask written questions.

Also taped and given to jurors.

Jurors meet and decide.

Minimize costs, limits bullies.

Downsides?

Last edited:
start paying jurors $500 a day

That is a good start.

In the Juror indoctrination /orientation, we are fed the malarkey that the Juror is so important. Then show it.

Start with a reasonable Per Diem ( at least double of the minimum wage , plus lunch ), the same preferential parking security scanning as court employees receive.

The operators of the court (County or state) will object to the cost. I submit that the cost just those 3 things, are not even a speck of dust, on the daily budget of the court system .

Back
Top Bottom