RIP Burt Bacharach

Birdie Num Nums

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Composer Burt Bacharach has died at age 94. As a baby boomer and music lover, I enjoyed the music he created (mostly with lyricist Hal David), especially the recordings he made with Dionne Warwick, during my youth.

A very talented man. RIP

Composer Burt Bacharach has died at age 94. As a baby boomer and music lover, I enjoyed the music he created (mostly with lyricist Hal David), especially the recordings he made with Dionne Warwick, during my youth.

We grew up listing to Burt Bacharach and Hal David, since my mother played the soundtrack to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid with BJ Thomas on vocals over and over again. Then came the piano lessons where my teacher taught many Burt Bacharach songs which are pretty easy to play. He was a great composer and will be missed, but his music will live on forever.

Oh wow, so many songs!

Big hit 1967, and reportedly Bacharach’s personal favorite:

Some may prefer this more modern version:

Last edited:
One of the best from the 60's and 70's.

I watched a PBS special on BB last year. The guy was amazingly prolific. He reminds me a bit of Cole Porter in that he wrote so many great songs.

I also like the Will Downing version (1998)

Last edited:
I was fortunate to see him and Dionne Warwick in concert at a Megacorp-sponsored event back in the 1990s. It was memorable. RIP.

Aretha Franklin 1970 - I Say a Little Prayer for You:

I know that Bacharach originally wrote that song for Dionne Warwick, but man, Aretha Franklin absolutely owned it! That rendition still gives me goose bumps.

I know that Bacharach originally wrote that song for Dionne Warwick, but man, Aretha Franklin absolutely owned it! That rendition still gives me goose bumps.

Yeah, her back up singers, The Sweet Inspirations, do too!

Some of his most popular hits:

He was in his 80's when performing these hits:

Another one of his popular songs.

I’ll bet you also listened to The Beatles’ version of “Baby It’s You”. (I was surprised to learn :D )

I’ll bet you also listened to The Beatles’ version of “Baby It’s You”. (I was surprised to learn :D )
Right! I did! I grew up liking a lot of his songs, but I didn't learn that he had written them until later. Like the B-side to Elvis's massive-selling hit single "In the Ghetto" (which I bought) had Burt's "Any Day Now." Or the instrumental "Pacific Coast Highway" that was ear candy to me at the time. "What's New, Pussycat" by Tom Jones, "One Less Bell to Answer" by the 5th Dimension, and "Close to You" by the Carpenters were "non-Dionne" hit records I liked but didn't know he had written until later. (I knew he had co-written "Raindrops" because of the "Butch Cassidy" movie, and the Oscar he won at the time for it.)

(I knew he had co-written "Raindrops" because of the "Butch Cassidy" movie, and the Oscar he won at the time for it.)

Great song in a great movie, no doubt. But I always thought it was curiously out of place in the plot. Doesn’t matter, everyone liked it (me too). It’s hard to top Paul Newman and Katharine Ross!

On my mobile playlist: "Walk on By" versions - Dionne Warwick, Isaac Hayes "live", and the funkified D-Train.

RIP Burt Bacharach.

The guy in Austin Powers :).

Back
Top Bottom