RIP Gwen Ifill

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
She was only 61 and had been receiving hospice care for cancer. It was just a few weeks ago that she was coanchoring the PBS NewsHour (the only US news station that I watch). She will be missed.

I was shocked to hear the news. I watch her so regularly that I knew she was out sick again, but didn't know she was battling cancer. I am an ardent viewer of her washington week program, and of course the newshour. I'm going to miss her. A real loss to journalism and even more so, a loss of a very kind person.

Last edited:
I didn't even know she was battling it. I had noticed that I hadn't seen her along with Judy Woodruff for a while.

I'm shocked. I saw that she was missing on the news hour, but had no idea that she was sick. Will miss her. :(

I was shocked to hear the news. I watch her so regularly that I knew she was out sick again, but didn't know she was battling cancer. I am an ardent viewer of her washington week program, and of course the newshour. I'm going to miss her. A real loss to journalism and even more so, a loss of a very kind person.

I never missed her shows. She was a class act all the way.

Condolences to her family and friends. This is also a great loss for journalism as a whole.

I don't watch News Hour regularly (get most news from NPR or the newspaper) but when I want to watch the news, that's where I go. Turned on the election coverage Tuesday night expecting to see her, and heard she was ill. Had no idea it was this serious or advanced. This probably also explains why all of the PBS folks seemed off their game during the coverage - I finally gave up and switched to CNN because it was so painful.

While I understand wanting privacy, I would have liked for people to have been able to express support during her illness (such as many did for Robin Roberts over on ABC).

Gwen Ifill was a top-notch TV journalist and she will be missed.

When she didn't host Washington Week a week ago Friday (the last Friday before the election), I knew she was having some serious trouble.

I am also a frequent Newshour viewer and I always looked forward to seeing her there, too. 61 is way too soon.

RIP Gwen Ifill :(

61 seems like young, but my mother was diagnosed with cancer at 62 and passed at 63. This was a huge motivator for me to retire early. Now I am 57, and I become conscious as to how close I am getting to my mother's age.

Gwen, was a class act broadcaster, I will miss her insight on the news.

Tonight's broadcast of the News Hour was devoted almost entirely to remembrances of, and stories about, Gwen Ifill, shared by those who knew her and worked with her over the decades. It was very moving and very thoughtfully done.

For anyone who is interested, I'm sure the full broadcast will be up on their website in the near future.

Wow! I had no idea. I always enjoyed her too. Way too young.

I'm very sorry to hear this.
It prompted me to look up the ages of Robin MacNeil (85) and Jim Lehrer (82). I do miss their presence on the Newshour, though they have been gone a long time.

I was shocked to see this on the CBS News tonight. She was a class act. I recently had started watching Washington Week fairly regularly. Sad.

Yes, I'll miss her newscasts. I was amazed when I heard as she had been hosting at the conventions and didn't look ill at all.

Back
Top Bottom