RIP - Old Friend

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I feel a little numb at the moment. So, I was reflecting on aquaintances of the past so I do a search first on Facebook but don't see her there.

Then I do a more general search and come across her obituary, dated 2003. My heart sank. There was no cause of death stated.

Though I didn't know her too well (last time we talked was back aroun 1983 or so), memories of times together come back. She was a very friendly person. I remember more innocent days, us together walking on campus together finding our way around and walking back from class together. I remember the day Ronald Regan was shot, it was me who told her the news and simple things like chatting in the library.

This really makes me think about how fragile life is and to treasure each day. RIP, old friend.

Last edited:
A similar thing happened to me. I was looking for a lady who used to be a close friend when I was in my 20's. In fact, we shared an apartment before we each got married. I had last seen her in 1995, at airport in my old hometown. We enjoyed seeing each others' children and caught up a little bit on what had been happening over the years.

After not finding her on Facebook, I did a search for her and found that she died in 1996. I don't know why she died so early. I saw her daughter on Facebook and she recently married and is a pharmacist, married to a Ph.D professor. She is the spitting image of her mom. I know she would've loved to see her daughter as an adult being so successful. It made me very sad. I can't get it out of my mind.....

Ally, maybe you could send a note to the daughter, saying that you remembered her mother very fondly and you wanted to share that she would have been very proud. I would think that would be warmly received.

And while reflecting on folks we've lost touch with, or lost altogether:
Gather ye rosebuds while ye may. Old time is still a-flying.
~Robert Herrick

From reading the obituary, my aquaintance was only 42 years old when she died. Yet my memory of her is when we were in college together when we were about 19 years old. I remember us sitting side by side in class, talking about how we had a good teacher, about our majors. There seemed to be so much to look forward to.
It is an odd, and sad feeling.

Sarah, I have thought about doing that several times recently. I just didn't know what she might think, or if it would make her really sad. I think it may take me a couple of months to get to where I could do that. I'm surprised that this has bothered me so much. She was such a lively, generous and fun lady.

Easy Surfer, that's so sad, isn't it, especially when you don't know what happened.:(

Sarah, I have thought about doing that several times recently. I just didn't know what she might think, or if it would make her really sad. I think it may take me a couple of months to get to where I could do that. I'm surprised that this has bothered me so much. She was such a lively, generous and fun lady.

Easy Surfer, that's so sad, isn't it, especially when you don't know what happened.:(

Ally, yes it is sad, not knowing what happened. Kind of bittersweet as how finding out brings some fond memories I had not recalled in years, but yet knowing is sad.

I do understand your uncertainty of contacting your friend's daughter or not from not knowing if that would bring happiness or sadness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom