Santa Relief

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What do you do to keep the holiday [-]shopping[/-] festive season from overwhelming you? DW has just about refused to go shopping although she like it during most of the year. Got to get presents, cards out, figure out holiday dinners & parties. Feels too much like work.

What do you do to keep the holiday [-]shopping[/-] festive season from overwhelming you?

Don't do any of that drek in the first place.

DW has just about refused to go shopping although she like it during most of the year.

Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do. Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do.
-Mark Twain

Got to get presents, cards out, figure out holiday dinners & parties.

"Got to"? What happens if she doesn't?
Will you do it?
If not:
Will she be shunned? Disinherited? Put in the stocks and have rotten fruit thrown at her?

Feels too much like work.

It is work, obligated and uncompensated.

[SIZE=-1]"Bah, humbug!":rant:[/SIZE]

I changed my holiday dinner from a sit down to a buffet with an easy menu .I buy a honey baked ham ,make scalloped potatoes ,a salad ,rolls and some easy vegetable .Before the meal we have shrimp ,appetizers from Sam's club ,and seafood dip from the supermarket .Dessert is bakery goods .I used to do a Turkey with all the trimmings plus make all the cookies and desserts .This way is easy and good and we all enjoy it .

What do you do to keep the holiday [-]shopping[/-] festive season from overwhelming you? DW has just about refused to go shopping although she like it during most of the year. Got to get presents, cards out, figure out holiday dinners & parties. Feels too much like work.

When I buy gifts it's invaribly from an online store and they mail it. I make it easy by purchasing food items, like a tin of pecans or chocolates. As for cards, I used to complain that some people wouldn't send me a card unless I sent one to them first. Now I am one of those people!:D

Holiday dinner? Take out from Whole Foods. Everyone else does the dishes.:angel:

What do you do to keep the holiday [-]shopping[/-] festive season from overwhelming you?

A rational suggestion: volunteer just a bit of your time for a charity that does good deeds during the holidays - Toys for Tots, etc. Or find a local charity that will provide names, ages, etc. and talk your boss into sponsoring a family's Christmas by taking up a gift collection at the department holiday lunch. Even a few hours doing something for those less fortunate does wonders for my holiday spirit.

A completely irrational option that works for me: for the last two years I've also put on a cheap Santa suit and gone out on the town with 100+ of my Santa friends. Five or six hours of absolute silliness puts a smile on my face that lasts until at least sometime in January. Available in major cities worldwide. Find one near you: santacon.com

I changed my holiday dinner from a sit down to a buffet with an easy menu .

About 8 years ago we made Christmas dinner VERY easy. We started going to the local Masonic Temple for the free community dinner that they serve! Many years ago, an very nice old gentleman left a good size portion of his estate to the Masons, with the stipulation that they provide free Christmas dinners to any and all who would like to partake....young or old, rich or poor.

So every year we go there, and have a very nice dinner, served family-style, with all the trimmings. We get to enjoy the company of several of our friends, and we always meet some new folks, too. It's nice, especially for those without family in the area, and for those who live alone. They'll even fix you up a nice 'to-go' container, so you can have 'left-overs' for later! And if you're not able to get there....they'll deliver it!

No muss...no fuss. No cooking....NO DISHES to wash!!!

Only do what YOU WANT TO DO!! Some years I send cards, others I do not (this happened to be a "sending out" year (and they are done already!!! :) ) Christmas presents were picked up during my travels (New Orleans, and So. CA) and left in NoCA when I was there for Thanksgiving (no shipping fees!) I'd like to get some holiday baking done, but will not force myself to accomplish this.

I do not judge people on what they gift out during the holidays. (shame on anyone who does!)

Back
Top Bottom