Selling to CarMax, Carvana-tips?

Coworker was really pleased how easy vroom was and they picked up the car.

Any grandkids that will be ready their first car soon?
Other options are to donate to a local school driver ed class or call a local charity or her church and see if they are aware of anyone in the area that is deserving of a free good running car.
Lots of needy people out there that might really appreciate the help.
Assuming the car is in good shape and with that low of a mileage the car may go for many years yet.

I agree with other's , OP should not have his 80 yr old mother sell private.

I took a 12 yr old car to carmax, they offered me $500 as it had been in an accident and fixed yrs ago. They noticed it in the inspection.
The offer was good for about a week, which I thought was pretty decent.

I decided to sell on craigslist for $1,200 , got lots of scam emails, weird emails. Sold it to a guy for $1,100 so felt I did good, but then saw he reposted it for sale lying about the car, for more.
He never changed the registration.
I phoned the State to tell them, and then nervously expected to find a car in my name used in some crime.
Didn't happen but was nervous for few months.

Before we sold the above mentioned Camry to Carmax I had sold two previous cars through Craigslist. Craigslist is a hassle, at least in our area. As soon as I posted the listing I had many emails, some from bots, some from kooks, some from sincerely interested people.

Within the first few hours I set up test drive times for probably six interested buyers. Maybe two would show up and test drive. Some folks never show up and don't even let you know. We were fortunate that both times we sold the car within 24 hours, but it is a hassle, dealing with strangers and no shows. Best to make yourself available and be patient.

Any buyer on Craiglist or Facebook Marketplace is going to be expecting a bargain and will offer less than your asking price. On the first car I took less than I wanted, in cash. On the second car I got my asking price, in cash. Nice deal and he was local so we even drove it home for him.

I don't know if Craigslist is popular anymore since Facebook Marketplace is just as easy.

We sold the Camry in March, 2021, during the pandemic and we were comfortable in getting a straight forward transaction with Carmax rather than dealing with individuals in my driveway.

For your Mom in her late 80's you probably don't want her dealing with strangers at her home. You can probably get an estimate on Carvana and arrange it all for her online. When they come to pick up the car you can be on the phone or Facetime so that she's not alone when they come for the car.

You are exactly on the same page with me. Dealing with all the Craigslist crazy’s etc. is NOT in her best interest. It’s not about getting top dollar, it’s about easily disposing of the car without someone taking advantage of the old lady. Your idea of me being on the phone with her is a good one. I’ll strongly suggest this to DM.

She lives in a gated CCRC so trying to sell privately also adds to the challenge.

In her day, my mom was a tough cookie when buying cars. I remember when I was a kid my folks were newspaper shopping for a new car. We lived in the sticks, 50 miles from the city where she lives now. There was only one car dealership in our county. She saw a car ad in the city paper that was a pretty good deal. So the next day on her way to the grocery store (25 minutes away) she stopped into the local dealer. She showed them the ad and said that she’d like to shop locally, but would happily go into the city if they couldn’t give her the same offer. They hemmed and hawed. She said “I need to go do my shopping, you call if you can do this” and left. When she got to the grocery store she thought she’d better find the pay phone to call my dad and let him know what she’d done and to expect a call. He said “They already called. When do you want to sign the paperwork?”

If you do Carvana, the guy will show up in a car covered in Carvana advertising, you cannot miss him. He will call when on his way with an estimated arrival time which was bang on and then call when he's outside. He will ask for the car key, turn the car on and stick the code reader on it for just a minute or so. He didn't even walk round my car to inspect it. He had asked me to remove the license plates when he called since it would be taken out of state and handed me the paperwork along with my check which was already prepared so I could sign it and he parked it in the street for pick up later. It was that simple, literally just a few minutes.
I also got an offer on my 7 year old car last month but could not find a new car anywhere locally so the deal expired. I just logged on today and updated the info and the offer is now $1400 higher so I am starting the hunt again and I'm willing to go to Nevada or Arizona to buy one. I hear other states have tons of new cars available. Just not sure how California will punish me if I do this.

DM is in her late 80s and has finally decided to give up her car. Yahoo! She’s planning on getting offers from CarMax and Carvana. Anything she needs to be aware of? Are their services identical (other than Carvana will pick the car)?

I see KBB has an online offer service now called “Instant Cash Offer”. Anyone used them?

She’s got all her paperwork in order. The registration is due in early December, so she wants it gone before then. I’m several hours away, so not able to be there to help her out. By the way, she’s selling a 2001 Buick with 40k miles. I told her she should be happy for anything above $500, although in this market she might do a bit better.

Thanks

Edit to fix typos
when my BIL passed away in March he left a 2000 Lexis ES900 with less than 40k on the odometer. KBB put the value at a bit over $6000. the CarMax offer was $400. we sold the car to a private party for $5900. our Lexus was especially clean and your Buick may not be as desirable as the Lexus but used car prices are up. if you just want to dump it then your plan is the way to go but I wouldn't want to leave cash on the table without at least dipping my toes into the private party market.

............Any buyer on Craiglist or Facebook Marketplace is going to be expecting a bargain and will offer less than your asking price...........
That is all part of the game. I always price anything on Craigslist 10 or 20% more than I want. The buyers feel so good if I come down to my desired price. A few pay the inflated price and are happy, too.

That said, I wouldn't ask an 80 yo to deal with the Craigslist crowd.

ocean view, If you do go the CarMax / Carvana route, please let’s us know what they offer. I’m curious what with me just selling a similar but I’m sure not as nice of car.
I’m guessing her car would be worth $3-4K on a private sale.

Best wishes what every you do!
Murf

When I was reading this thread yesterday, I started to wonder what a company like Carvana would pay for one of my newer vehicles.. (Just curious) Their website says, "get a real offer in two minutes" for your car. So I filled out the form, which basically wants your License plate or VIN # and answered a few questions about condition, mileage and options and then gave them my email so I could get their "real offer".. It only took a minute or two so I gave it a try... Sent it in and never heard back:facepalm:.... So much for a 2 minute offer...:cool:

Last edited:
I got an offer of $200 from Carmax, for my mom's 2004 Mercury Sable with 60,000 miles on it. Then a dealer offered me $625. Then I sold it on Craigslist for $1,800 and the buyer was ecstatic.

DM is in her late 80s and has finally decided to give up her car. Yahoo! She’s planning on getting offers from CarMax and Carvana. Anything she needs to be aware of? Are their services identical (other than Carvana will pick the car)?

I see KBB has an online offer service now called “Instant Cash Offer”. Anyone used them?

She’s got all her paperwork in order. The registration is due in early December, so she wants it gone before then. I’m several hours away, so not able to be there to help her out. By the way, she’s selling a 2001 Buick with 40k miles. I told her she should be happy for anything above $500, although in this market she might do a bit better.

Thanks

Edit to fix typos

And there's no one in the family looking for a used car with low mileage? A 2001 with 40k miles is worth far more than $500.

When I was reading this thread yesterday, I started to wonder what a company like Carvana would pay for one of my newer vehicles.. (Just curious) Their website says, "get a real offer in two minutes" for your car. So I filled out the form, which basically wants your License plate or VIN # and answered a few questions about condition, mileage and options and then gave them my email so I could get their "real offer".. It only took a minute or two so I gave it a try... Sent it in and never heard back:facepalm:.... So much for a 2 minute offer...:cool:
Well that's very weird, it pops right up on your screen a few seconds after you hit the submit button. It also e-mails you as well.

And there's no one in the family looking for a used car with low mileage? A 2001 with 40k miles is worth far more than $500.

I agree, it seems that someone in the family could use a good used car for a kid to drive to school, or as a winter car, or whatever. That Buick probably has had great care and service, and would be good for another 150K miles with proper continued maintenance. Certainly passing on the good car to a family member is not any risk about it being a lemon. If not family, maybe a goof family friend?

For OP, why not just go visit your mother and pick up the car to bring home where you can sell it for her? Have her sign the title but not date it. Once you are back home list it on FB marketplace where you get less of the flakes compared to CL. FB will have that car sold so fast you will be amazed at the response. Also at the amount of money you can get for it. Way more than $500, I would estimate you could get $3-4000 in this market easily.

You didn't say which Buick it is but maybe a collector might be interested?
I'm tempted to offer you $500 myself for a car with that low mileage but I'm sure it worth a whole lot more

And there's no one in the family looking for a used car with low mileage?
Nope. My DS doesn't have a car, but I'd prefer him to drive something with more safety features when the time comes that he actually needs a car.

For OP, why not just go visit your mother and pick up the car to bring home where you can sell it for her?
A couple reasons, primarily, Mom is a fierce, independent woman and this is how she wants to dispose of her car. My role is just to guide her. Additionally, timing is bad for us to go pick it up and the DMV reg. is due soon after Thanksgiving. We'd have to get it smogged, renew the tags and get insurance (?). She needs the car until Thanksgiving week for doctor's appointments, so that shortens the window we have to pick it up, but still doesn't work with our schedule. Her CCRC offers transportation to appointments with a reservation. She has reservations for her appointments after Thanksgiving, but was not able to get them for before. btw, I don't think passing smog would be a problem, as a previous poster asked.

You didn't say which Buick it is but maybe a collector might be interested?
It is a Buick Century.

ocean view, If you do go the CarMax / Carvana route, please let’s us know what they offer.
Will do. Her plan is to submit her requests for quotes on Wed or Thurs next week. Someone in post 30 described a very easy Carvana experience. This is exactly what I'm hoping for.

I know a lot of you are concerned about leaving money on the table, but DM is set for her remaining years. She will not outlive her savings and if she does, she has a plan for that. Thanks to you all for your input.

I did forget to mention that she will have to upload her documents to Carvana as part of the process. I think it was a photo of her registration docs back and front, her speedometer showing the mileage and her drivers license. Hopefully she will be able to do that or maybe a friend or neighbor can help her with that

Well that's very weird, it pops right up on your screen a few seconds after you hit the submit button. It also e-mails you as well.
Tried Carvana again a few minutes ago... (At least this time I got a response)

Not of much value but this time I got this in the blue text: (And no email)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You’ve Stumped Us

We’d love to make you an offer, but first we need input from one of our appraisal experts.

Last edited:
Tried Carvana again a few minutes ago... (At least this time I got a response)
Not of much value but this time I got this in the blue text: (And no email)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You’ve Stumped Us

We’d love to make you an offer, but first we need input from one of our appraisal experts.

Just curious what vehicle was that?

^^^^^^
Actually they are easy to sell... I was just curious what they would offer... Dealers are asking (and often getting) 10k+ over the window sticker when they get a new one in and they can't keep them in stock.

Last edited:
Heard on the news last night that Carvana is getting into big trouble for delays in transferring proper title documents to their customers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom