Senate Rejects Regulating Iraq Combat Tours

Just so we're clear, I do not disagree that our pilots were at risk when the SAM radar locked on. (although I don't recall hearing that there was ever a subsequent launch). I am not so ignorant of military matters as you may think. And, no, I don't reject all use of military force. When it is necessary to defend our nation, I am all for it (heck, I spent plenty of time defending this nation), but as my mother said to me when I was young, "People who go looking for trouble always find it." I think it would be much better for us and the world at large if we would spend more time minding our own business and less time screwing around with others.

Just so we're clear, I do not disagree that our pilots were at risk when the SAM radar locked on. (although I don't recall hearing that there was ever a subsequent launch).

Just to tie up this loose end: There were SAM launches. And there were plenty of AAA firings.

As for the reason for Operations Southern Watch and Northern Watch, a look at the brutal attention Saddam lavished on the Marsh Arabs and the Kurds helps explain a lot of it. At the end of the Gulf War, these groups were particularly at risk, and it should be a particular point of pride to Americans that we helped protect them (though there were some notable shortfalls in that protection and Saddam killed many in both groups despite out efforts. We undoubtedly saved tens of thousands of lives). Anyone arguing that we were wrong to protect these groups would, I suppose, also argue that there's no particular reason to prevent the present-day descent of Iraq into a downward spiral of increasingly violent ethnic and religious violence. This is consistency of reasoning alright, but it is hard to admire from a moral standpoint.

Last edited:
Just to tie up this loose end: There were SAM launches. And there were plenty of AAA firings.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

I understand the counterargument that this was simply a continuation of the Gulf War, but I see that as an illegitimate pretext. In my view, our writ arising out of the Gulf War was to kick Saddam out of Kuwait (why it was any of our business who runs Kuwait (or Korea for that matter) is a different discussion). George H.W. Bush did that and wisely refused to go further. We should have left it at that. I think the "no fly" zones, which were the source of most of the subsequent conflicts were unaccceptable restrictions on a sovereign nation -- we would never tolerate the same in our country. We bear as much responsibility for thhe countinued friction as Saddam.

We have very different world views. I happen to think that US has moral obligation where practical to work aggressively to replace bad/evil
regime with better ones. In the case of Iraq, the opportunity to remove A one of the worst dictators in the world B. somebody who was a source of huge trouble to volatile region, C a guy we believed was a threat to our national security, made this worthwhile use of military force. Obviously C turned out be exaggeration, but it does not change A or B. I think the stupidity of the war can't be judge for at least another decade. We just now are starting to see the benefits of the Balkan peace keeping/and Kosovo intervention.

My opinion about all of these matter is best explained by Tony Blair in his speech before Congress back in 2003.
As far as moveon.org, I don't know their position. Based on your post, I gather it is similar to mine, but any implication that mine is derivative is unwarranted. My views are based on my own research and philosophy, not a political action group.

Me bad, you obviously are NOT parroting the "Bush Lied People Died, Bush=Hitler crowd". I respect your opinions, and appreciate not having to deal with typical name calling that gets involved at this point in the debate.

Gumby, I'm with ya. The contempt for the rule of law that this administration exhibits is unprecedented. Just look at the CIA outing, the telecom immunity they want, the going over the heads of even the Secret FISA court... Neither the courts nor our representatives have any say in how this country is currently run. Just write a signing statement and Bush opts to "make it so".

Sam, there is precious little "way forward" in Iraq. The violence may diminish due to ethnic cleansing and sheer exhaustion, but Iraq is not a coherent country and we can't force it to be one by applauding and wishing hard and putting cheap ribbon-shaped magnets on the ol' SUV. What we HAVE done that is concrete, however, is thrown out our own adherance to the Geneva Conventions, thrown out habeas corpus, thrown out our own nominal restrictions on domestic spying, etc. For what? WHAT was the proven threat of Iraq? I care as little for the posturing of Democrats as I do for the posturing of Republicans. Looking at past players' foolish statements does not excuse the current players of equal or greater actual foolishness.

Now the republicans are trotting out the same old players (Chalabi, Richard Perle) to spread some magic pixie dust on the debacle. Ha! According to them, we are "heroes in error". Will Perle stop at Iraq? No! He has his sights set on Iran and Syria for an equally salubrious Iraq treatment.. and the neocons generally are now agitating to take on Pakistan, a real nuclear entity.

The fun has just begun as far as they are concerned!

samclem, there are a lot of peoples suffering and we don't have the same impetus of intervention. The Marsh Arabs are a retroactive fig leaf, and really I recall no instance of Bush having even mentioned their existence.

After the occupation, the Marsh Arabs were actually rather contrary to the British and Italian forces in their area:
Portrait of a Rebellion -- In These Times

Their leader was wanted in the killing of a police officer:
Former member in the Iraqi governing council wanted in a killing case
Al-Muhammadawi supporters condemned the warrant of arrest against him and doubted the objectivity of lawyers appointed by the Americans. A statement issued by the federation of the Iraqi tribes and published in the Iraqi daily " al-Sabah" said that " the occupation is the one who formed these courts to undermine the dignity of the Iraqis." It added " we stand in support of Sheikh al-Muhammadawi and deplore the illegal courts of the occupation."

Al-Muhammadawi is viewed as an alley for Ahmad Chalabi who used to be the favorite man for the Americans in Iraq but his relations with Washington deteriorated recently.

Informed Comment
Sheikh al-Muhammadawi, from the powerful Al-Bu Muhammad tribe, a sort of aristocracy among the looked-down-upon Marsh Arabs, organized his people into the Iraqi Hizbullah. He and his fighters took Amara on April 7, two days before the fall of West Baghdad, and the Americans and British rewarded him by putting him in charge there. Paul Bremer put him on the Interim Governing Council.

In the past year, a lot of Marsh Arab slum dwellers have gone over to Muqtada al-Sadr and become Sadrists and Mahdi Army. A minority appear instead to have joined the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq and its paramilitary Badr Corps. There is tension within the Marsh Arabs, not only between Sadrists and SCIRI (Iraqi Hizbullah as an independent movement seems in decline), but also among various clans that feud with one another. In summer of 2003, two Marsh Arab tribes came into Basra, the Ghamchi and the Basun, and began feuding with one another. At one point they fought a 4-hour gun battle because one group had killed a water buffalo belonging to the other.

When the Americans besieged Fallujah and then came after Muqtada al-Sadr, Sheikh al-Muhammadawi angrily resigned from the Interim Governing Council and deeply criticized the Americans. This move reflected the fact that most of his tribesmen had become Sadrists (indeed, the whole city council of Amara followed Muqtada).

How can we pretend to foist a modern "egalitarian" democracy on people who have not gone through any political or societal 'evolution' beyond tribalism? It's not only an inconceivable luxury, but a fool's errand. In Iraq, half of marriages still take place between first or second cousins. And really, how far are we ourselves, when you think about it, from tribalism?

What you have to consider is that the tribal system, with all its corruption and nepotism, has been the human organizational standard for 99.9% of human existence. It is still quite prevalent even in modern 'democracies'; you need only witness the Bush/Kennedy intergenerational dynasties as evidence. The Gores. The Stevens of Alaska. The Dalys in Chicago. The Rockefellers, the Lodges. The Ghandis of India, the Bhuttos of Pakistan, the Perons, the Duvaliers, the Aquinos, etc., etc. It goes beyond party affiliation and beyond our concepts of right and left. I live in Italy, and a more feudal, FAKE democracy would be hard to find, though the ties are slightly less obvious along familial lines, notwithstanding the constant political presence of Mussolini's grand-daughter.

The US itself has found it hard to shake its tribal inclinations, in which there is to be found comfort, protection, contacts, power and security. How can we pretend to preach abstinence from this, and in many cases certain death, to others?

letsretire:
Every time our pilots went up they were at risk. .. in an area they allowed us to patrol as a condition of us stopping the beating they were receiving
I am without words here.
I wasn't convinced at first, but Gumby's batterer example is correctly invoked.

the American people are sheep and until something effects them directly and painful, they are content to eat their happy meals, download their itunes, watch American idol, and stress about the careers and kids?

Correct. At this point in time, this is exactly correct.

the state of Marsh Arab concern at the time:
QUESTION: I had no idea this was going on in Iraq at the time. I had never even heard of this ecocide before this event. How did the international community allow this to happen? My question is how will the upcoming election affect the redevelopment of the marshes if Bush or Kerry gets elected?

CURTIS RICHARDSON: The last part of the question is very interesting because the United States to this point has only put $4 million into the restoration of the marshes. The Canadians have put in $3 million, the Italians are putting in $10 million, but the USAID program for actual marsh restoration is very limited. Ambassador L. Paul Bremer and others have gone to the marshes, but other needs were considered so great that they have not been given attention.

My personal opinion is that they could have stabilized the small villages of the lower third of Iraq with simple seeds and some aquaculture and some other basic things that probably could have been done for $50 or 100 million dollars to start off. But this was not done.

What will happen it the future I do not know; that's an open question. The program that I am being funded by and the USAID runs out in December, so what will happen then I do not know.

QUESTION: Is it feasible in any way that the marshes could be brought back to where they used to be when Mr. Wheeler photographed them during the 1970s? We also must bear in mind that the marshes are sitting on a reserve of 1 billion barrels of oil, known as Majnun Oil field.

The Marsh Arabs of Iraq: The Legacy of Saddam Hussein and an Agenda for Restoration and Justice

The marshes at this point (2004) had been destroyed for over ten years. Not clear what amount of the population was interested in returning to the previous habitat, even assuming it could have been rehabilitated.

In the meantime, we are willingly pulverizing entire Appalachian mountain chains to get at the 3- or 4-foot-wide coal seams within, and in so doing 'passively' evicting mountain dwellers through pollution and destruction and ruin in our very own country. Spare me the new-found republican/'conservative' eco-social concern...

Hello I am back.

Here is an interesting read on USA today Opinion: Editorial Pieces & Current Events Perspectives - USATODAY.com

Per the USA Today article "A new NIE on Iran produced a very different kind of bombshell Monday. Seemingly at odds with recent bellicose statements from President Bush and Vice President Cheney, it concluded that Tehran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003, appears "less determined" to develop nukes than previously thought and probably couldn't get one before 2010 to 2015."

Just like with Iraq I hope that the American people do NOT eat up Old George W's and Cheney's lies and half truths "hook, line and sinker" as it now pertains to the possible "World War III" with Iran.:duh:

God Bless:angel:
Wags

Last edited:
Wags, we missed you. I see you've decided to make up for lost time by posting everything twice.

Anyway, as I'm sure you know, the NIE is a product of various elements of the US government. In fact, all the organizations which put it together are part of the executive branch. That's the branch of the government headed by President Bush.

So, are "Old George W's and Cheney's lies and half truths" of which you speak the ones in the newly moderate NIE? Or are you now ready to praise an administration that candidly released an assessment that is at odds with their position? Pick your gripe and stick with it, please.

Good news is bad news to some people . . . even to "doves."

Last edited:
Wags, we missed you. I see you've decided to make up for lost time by posting everything twice.

Anyway, as I'm sure you know, the NIE is a product of various elements of the US government. In fact, all the organizations which put it together are part of the executive branch. That's the branch of the government headed by President Bush.

So, are "Old George W's and Cheney's lies and half truths" of which you speak the ones in the newly moderate NIE? Or are you now ready to praise an administration that candidly released an assessment that is at odds with their position? Pick your gripe and stick with it, please.

Good news is bad news to some people . . . even to "doves."

Yes, the NIE is good news because just maybe it will keep Old George W from starting another war. As a dove I am always very happy:cool: when innocent people and our troops are not put in harm's way.

Putin was right on this one. Score on Iran - Putin -1 World Atomic Agency - 1 Old George W - 0.:cool:

But the question remains when did Old George W know about the NIE report and why did he continue with the advocacy for war with Iran?

Those are questions that may be answered in the near future.

It is good to be back.

God Bless

I heard George say at his press conference yesterday that he first heard about the conclusions in the NIE only last week. He may be the president but I wonder sometimes who is really running his show.

Last edited:
You either trust the NIE or you don't. If you believe Bush influenced the NIE when he first took office so he could force a war down or throats, then how can you believe the current NIE? It might be possible that other "Bush agendas" are at work here and Iran is still seeking nuclear weapons. Or maybe you believed the first one was accurate and just want something to complain about.

You are not addressing the issue I raised. Just when did the president first know that the NIE on Iran was going to conclude that Iran had dropped its nuclear weapons program in 2003. It is not a question of whether I trust the NIE or I don't. It iis more a question of whether I trust our president.

This Monday National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley held a press briefing on the new National Intelligence Estimate. Here is a portion of the briefing:
QUESTION: Steve, what is the first time the president was given the inkling that something? I’m not clear on this. Was it months ago, when the first information started to become available to intelligence agencies? […]​

HADLEY: [W]hen was the president notified that there was new information available? We’ll try and get you a precise answer. As I say, it was, in my recollection, is in the last few months. Whether that’s October — August-September, we’ll try and get you an answer for that.
On at least five different occasions, Hadley said the White House learned of the NIE sometime in the “last few months.”

And the next day at his press conference the president says: "I was made aware of the NIE last week."

So please answer my question: If the White House learned of the NIE sometime in the last few months and the president learned of it only last week, who is running the show at the White House?

As I recall my time in the government I had knowledge of several things, well prior to actually receiving details of the issues. Is this the case in this situation, heck I don't know. If what you are quoting is accurate it very well could be. I can see the way it played out. Within the last couple months the President was advised that Iran might not be producing nuclear bombs, but more research is needed. The President then orders the intel people to find out what is going on. Then when the final draft is done it was only last week. New intel is received almost daily, so it is possible.

It is totally plausible that the President was told, as he said, that there was new intelligence uncovered about Iran and it was being vetted, analyzed, study etc. It is also reasonable that they told him they would get back to him when they had firm/confirmed conclusions. In fact that is how I would hope it would happen. Intel is not the nightly news.

You are not addressing the issue I raised. Just when did the president first know that the NIE on Iran was going to conclude that Iran had dropped its nuclear weapons program in 2003. It is not a question of whether I trust the NIE or I don't. It iis more a question of whether I trust our president.

This Monday National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley held a press briefing on the new National Intelligence Estimate. Here is a portion of the briefing:
QUESTION: Steve, what is the first time the president was given the inkling that something? I’m not clear on this. Was it months ago, when the first information started to become available to intelligence agencies? […]​
HADLEY: [W]hen was the president notified that there was new information available? We’ll try and get you a precise answer. As I say, it was, in my recollection, is in the last few months. Whether that’s October — August-September, we’ll try and get you an answer for that.
On at least five different occasions, Hadley said the White House learned of the NIE sometime in the “last few months.”

And the next day at his press conference the president says: "I was made aware of the NIE last week."

So please answer my question: If the White House learned of the NIE sometime in the last few months and the president learned of it only last week, who is running the show at the White House?

Good luck in getting an answer to your questions.

Usually when the adminstration gives conflicting answers it can only mean 1 thing and that is a lie. Remember the reasons given for attacking and invading Iraq.;)

GOD BLESS:angel:

Last edited:

This will be easier if you do your own research and stop depending on the blogs. Here's the publicly released version of the NIE. http://www.dni.gov/press_releases/20071203_release.pdf

Note that it clearly says that it contains information as recent as 31 Oct 2007. Normally, we would expect an intelligence document to be produced at the highest classification level warranted, and then redacted as necessary for public release. That's likely what was done here. If so, the "Full Monty" version of the NIE was finished and available for the President's review sometime between 31 Oct and 3 Dec (date that this unclassified NIE was released). There's your answer: The finished NIE was not available for the President's review until 31 Oct at the earliest.

Was any information in the NIE passed to the President earlier? We can't tell from this, and nobody's going to tell. Why is it important? Maybe a scrap of new info was presented to him in the daily brief, but that's not the same thing as a coherent analysis. That comprehensive analysis is in the NIE. Obviously, Hadley's reference to "learned of the NIE" could mean anything from "read the final copy" to "learned that one was being worked on." Regarding the availability of new info (NOT the same as an NIE) the reference to "within the last few months" sure doesn't sound very specific to me--I think you'll agree Hadley said several times he didn't have the information at his fingertips (because it was a question unrelated to the subject of his briefing) and that he was actually accurate anyway, since "within the last several months" includes everything up through yesterday.

There's no smoking gun here, no grassy knoll, and no missing 18 minutes of tape. I recommend you reboot and look for another conspiracy.

GESUNDHEIT!

Back
Top Bottom