Spending and The New Bedroom set.

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It started a couple of weeks ago when Mrs and I visited the nearby Farmers Market that is my go to place to buy veggies and baked goods. For me the lure usually is no sugar added apple and blueberry pies. We always make a loop around the place just to see if there is anything that sparks our interest. They have an Amish furniture store with a couple of bedroom sets on display. There was this one particular solid wood, dovetailed full slide draw maple and elm set that caught my eye. We got to talking about the state of our current set. It is a Thomasville and we bought used 28 years ago. Im guessing it was ten years old or so at the time which makes it roughly 40 years old. Over the years it has picked up a few dings and well the draws dont slide well. The handles have come off and been screwed back in many a time. It is tired but still functional.

First let me say I am blessed to be married to a lady who doesn’t have a need for a fancy car, house, furniture etc. ok let me say it shes cheap. Period. Well yesterday we put 20% down with a 10 week waiting period. The cost wasn’t to far from what I paid for my first new car. Like the 20+ year old couch we replaced a while ago we both knew it was time..well pasted time actually.

I see this as an opportunity and a challenge
1. Purge baby purge.
2. Its on the second floor and with 2 metal knees my moving days are over. (Empty the drawers -Kids and long term Boyfriends come to mind)
3. The rug in that room need to be stretched. I guess ill need to have to look around for a carpet installer?
4. Move the Sewing machine and all the fabric.
5. Good will the furniture or sell it for a couple hundred? I really just want it gone.

Spending money for us doesn’t come easy.. over time the cost of things often shocks me. I’m in post purchase shock so you’ll forgive my rant.

In for a pie, out with a bedroom set! :dance:
Blow that dough (in more ways than one!)

I'm a big fan of buying Made in America. It's hard to do for a lot of products and there's an extra cost for things not made by poorly-paid labor in sweatshop conditions. Sounds like a good purchase.

My wife trolls the local Buy and Sell websites and Facebook's Marketplace.

Last year, we bought a Hancock and Moore burgundy leather hide a bed with down cushions for $200. You cannot touch any of their couches for less than $5,000. I already had a matching H&M leather wingback recliner.

Tuesday we're picking up a Davis black walnut bedroom suit from the 1940's--about $700. I inherited my parent's Davis Lillian Russell bedroom furniture. We are switching out a bedroom we are not so fond of.

Heirloom quality furniture is my favorite way to go. Our horse and buggy Amish community has a number of furniture craftsmen, and they stay booked up 18 months on furniture pieces.

Sounds as if your bedroom suite is going to be special.

I love Amish made furniture. Just bought a queen set myself for my second home. Was able to get it custom made. Honestly being solid wood the price was very reasonable. We saw some brand name stuff, imported or not solid that cost about the same. Ours is hickory, and we just love it!

My lifetime purchases for the bedroom are limited to one mattress with metal frame and one dresser that I got for $100 almost 20 years ago and will likely keep for another 20. I don't understand the desire to spend big money on bedroom furniture. That being said, if the cost is in your budget then no big deal. Bedroom furniture should last decades so if you can afford something really nice then why not make the one time purchase. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Bedroom furniture should last decades so if you can afford something really nice then why not make the one time purchase.

Many different ways to approach that. Our bed and two chests of drawers are nothing special, just IKEA stuff. We have a third chest of drawers that DW's grandparents bought over 150 years ago, and it's as good today as it was then.

DW has talked me into building a new bedroom set for the guest bedroom in the spring. I’m starting with the bed and nightstand which should be easy. Then I’ll build the 2 dressers which will take a lot more time. Good thing she wants it painted. I can build it out of poplar which will be a lot less expensive than oak, etc.

Our old set is about 37 years old and it’s starting to show some wear - mainly in the drawer glides.

Picked up a new Amish made solid cherry bedroom set last year and extremely impressed with the craftsmanship and quality of the work. No local Amish stores out here in AZ so had it delivered, would do it again in a heartbeat but I expect this set will easily outlast me.

We had a small Queen Anne desk made and custom finished by an Amish shop to match our dining room table which is probably 150 years old. I think the desk is as well made if not better than the dining table. We did it all on the internet. This was about 12 or 13 years ago and there was an intermediary that handled the internet stuff.

DW has talked me into building a new bedroom set for the guest bedroom in the spring. I’m starting with the bed and nightstand which should be easy. Then I’ll build the 2 dressers which will take a lot more time. Good thing she wants it painted. I can build it out of poplar which will be a lot less expensive than oak, etc.

Our old set is about 37 years old and it’s starting to show some wear - mainly in the drawer glides.

Better replace the glides, before she starts talking about a new bedroom set. Hard to open drawers are very annoying.

Yet another mattress saga

Several years ago I felt like my (2002) mattress was getting a dip in it and was no longer comfortable. Also I wanted something higher that would be easier on my knees. I decided I needed a Tempurpedic since that was the one everyone raved over at that time. So I went to look at them. Then I thought I should buy a new bedroom set as well, since mine is from the 1970's and I got it for free when I bought my last house before this one. I went to look at those too.
My lifetime purchases for the bedroom are limited to one mattress with metal frame and one dresser that I got for $100 almost 20 years ago and will likely keep for another 20. I don't understand the desire to spend big money on bedroom furniture.
Exactly, GMTA. I added up everything I had in mind, and it came to $20K. Yikes!!! :eek: All that for a room that I never spend much if any time in while awake.

Then F suggested that I should try a new metal frame for my mattress to solve the dip problem and the height problem, since the old one was pretty bent up. So I bought a good one for $50. Problem solved. My mattress is now supremely comfortable, just the right height, and I feel like $50 sure beats $20,000+.

Several years ago I felt like my (2002) mattress was getting a dip in it and was no longer comfortable. Also I wanted something higher that would be easier on my knees. I decided I needed a Tempurpedic since that was the one everyone raved over at that time. So I went to look at them. Then I thought I should buy a new bedroom set as well, since mine is from the 1970's and I got it for free when I bought my last house before this one. I went to look at those too.

Exactly, GMTA. I added up everything I had in mind, and it came to $20K. Yikes!!! :eek: All that for a room that I never spend much if any time in while awake.

Then F suggested that I should try a new metal frame for my mattress to solve the dip problem and the height problem, since the old one was pretty bent up. So I bought a good one for $50. Problem solved. My mattress is now supremely comfortable, just the right height, and I feel like $50 sure beats $20,000+.

You blew a great chance to Blow That Dough! :LOL::LOL:

We’ve been thinking about solar panels on the roof. DH called a bunch of companies for estimates. One company did a drive by and returned an estimate of $60K and did not mention the tax write off or analyze energy savings. One other company came and did a detailed analysis, presented the numbers, with details about parts, labor, warranty, and told us we had a month to decide and could lock in pre-tariff cost of the panels based on their current supply. Also details on how much our tax savings would be-knocking $12K off our tax bill looks pretty sweet. No other company even called DH back.

They also told us to get the roof inspected before the work. We did and we need a new roof. So we’re looking at $42K fo solar, plus whatever the roof will cost. We pay some out of cash reserves and some with the HELOC.

You can get a high quality solid wood Amish made bedroom set for a reasonable price IMO. I paid just under $6K for mine and includes a dresser, mirror, tall chest, cal-king bed, and nightstand. All solid cherry wood with dovetail drawers. I've not seen anything in the local showroom stores come even close to that in terms of price and quality.

We have 4 pieces of Amish made including an elm coffee table with wood grain that is absolutely fabulous.

You can get a high quality solid wood Amish made bedroom set for a reasonable price IMO. I paid just under $6K for mine and includes a dresser, mirror, tall chest, cal-king bed, and nightstand. All solid cherry wood with dovetail drawers. I've not seen anything in the local showroom stores come even close to that in terms of price and quality.

Make it Two nightstands and that’s exactly what I paid. I guess that’s not extravagant after all. Like I said it will also help with purge.

Ray,
Pro rated from now till death and you'll see it's not an expense to bother having any buyers remorse.

Back
Top Bottom