Teens and texting....

I don't send text messages at all.

My sister tells me, in order to get her kids (two daughters) to respond to her, calling doesn't work. They just ignore the voice calls. But when my sister sends a text message, her kids respond right away. The marvel of technology (sarcasim, intended).

I would hate to be a teenager these days. Can you imagine the snarky texts that teenaged girls are sending to one another about the "unpopular girls"? Can you imagine how little they study in study hall? UGH. :bat::rant:It was bad enough back in 1962, when a few of the girls in my class learned American Sign Language in order to gossip instead of studying in study hall.

Frank and I don't even have texting enabled on our cell phones, and neither of us has ever sent even one text message. I keep thinking I should get it enabled and learn to text, in order to keep up with the times. Also texting seems to work when cell phones don't, such as after Hurricane Katrina. But I have no idea who I could text with other than my daughter, and we seem to have no trouble communicating with phone and facebook.

I probably txt less then 5 per month. :blush:

Have you ever seen some of these txt? Lots of txt's I've seen have no substance. In other words, you wouldn't make a phone call to say. "ILY", "POS", "LOL", or would you?

Texting proved by far the best way to get through to our teenage son, now at college. My wife and I use it fairly frequently when we are apart and want to trade information without interrupting each other.

My name is bbbamI and I have never sent a text msg. I rely on smoke signals. :angel:

My kids are in the 100+ category I'm sure. Actually texting is pretty convenient. It seems to be easier than calling when you just want to have a quick casual conversation. No doubt you need to do it if you want to stay in touch with your kids. I text and have a facebook account mainly to stay in touch with them. Texting is not evil. Tweeting OTOH.....

I do get sick of the lol, haha, j/k parts of a text message. But you have alot of similar phrases everywhere including this forum.

My wife's godson will text his friends in the same room, so his father can't hear him. It is secret code. I have avoided having a cell phone personally.

My kids are in the 100+ category I'm sure. Actually texting is pretty convenient. It seems to be easier than calling when you just want to have a quick casual conversation. No doubt you need to do it if you want to stay in touch with your kids. I text and have a facebook account mainly to stay in touch with them. Texting is not evil. Tweeting OTOH.....

I do get sick of the lol, haha, j/k parts of a text message. But you have alot of similar phrases everywhere including this forum.

I disagree... I think texting takes a lot longer than a conversation to get your idea across... When I have 'text' conversations on the internet to get something fixed... it takes 20 minutes to get an answer... if they called, it would be 2...

IMO, texts are so they do not get bored... to be active... to be 'in'...

I actually hate it when someone is always looking at their phone or blackberry to see what text they just got... WHEN I AM RIGHT THERE TALKING TO THEM... even worse is when they are responding...

One time one of the EVPs told people not to text when they were on a tour... others said they could do two things at once... so when he caught someone texting... he stopped and asked a question about anything... then specifically made the person who was texting answer it... since nobody that was texting could... he proved that you concentration was impared when you were texting...

My name is bbbamI and I have never sent a text msg. I rely on smoke signals. :angel:

Technically speaking, posting here on FIRE is a text message... non-verbal, non-visual. :D

Thought you quit smoking...:confused:

You guys can probably tell I don't have kids. I knew that texting was popular but I had no idea that kids texted so much. Personally, I would probably have to quit my job to find the time necessary to send 100+ text messages per day! Those kids must be typing much faster than I can. I barely do emails as it is. If I have something to say I just pick up the phone. I only send text messages to my wife when I have an important piece of information to pass along and she can't pick up the phone (when she is in a meeting for example).

Last week I was at Starbucks and there was a group of teens sitting around a table. No words exchanged. Just typing away. Spooky.

Actually, what I find amusing is that during staff meeting certain of our staff are texting away on their phones. Nothing like multitasking.

If you think about it, posting to this forum has a lot of parallels with texting.

Would we pick up the phone to have a conversation about all these things - no. You wouldn't get enough people together on the line at one time for it to work. Posting, email and texting are non-synchronous forms of communication. Phones are synchronous, you both (or all for a conf call) have to be there at the exact same time. A post or text can wait a minute, an hour, or days for a response. You can text a group.

I rarely ever text, but I occasionally send them through the computer to the kids phones (email to ###-###-####@tmomail.net or whatever your carrier's addy is). That way, they can answer (if needed, sometimes I'm just giving them some info they asked for earlier) when they are out of class, or when convenient, whatever. In may ways, texts make a lot of sense.

What bugs me is the oligopoly power allows them to charge exorbitant fees for a text. The data in a text is equivalent to a fraction of a second of voice, and it can be delayed for several seconds w/o a problem, yet they charge about the same as 60 seconds of voice. That is hundreds of times above what a free market rate would be. And no un-metered off-peak rates either.

-ERD50

I probably txt less then 5 per month. :blush:

Have you ever seen some of these txt? Lots of txt's I've seen have no substance. In other words, you wouldn't make a phone call to say. "ILY", "POS", "LOL", or would you?

I had to google some of these... POS may mean "parents over shoulder" to texters, but to me it means something entirely different...:D

If you think about it, posting to this forum has a lot of parallels with texting.

-ERD50

Do you mean to say that the posts on this forum have as much substance as teens' text messages? :angel:

What bugs me is the oligopoly power allows them to charge exorbitant fees for a text. The data in a text is equivalent to a fraction of a second of voice, and it can be delayed for several seconds w/o a problem, yet they charge about the same as 60 seconds of voice. That is hundreds of times above what a free market rate would be. And no un-metered off-peak rates either.-ERD50

Sounds great, at 100+ texts per day at a minute apiece on the meter, the kids are paying for 3000+ minutes/month. Keeps cell phone rates lower for luddites like me... text on, junior! :D

I disagree... I think texting takes a lot longer than a conversation to get your idea across...

Too broad a brush TP.

I love texting and send/receive a dozen or so messages per month. You just can't beat them in certain situations. Example: I'm baby sitting the grandkids for DS this evening so he can take his DW out to dinner for their anniversary. I wanted to know what time they needed me. Rather than have his phone ring in his office at work, I sent him a text and he responded about a half hour later. He was probably in a meeting or something. He knows if I need a more immediate answer, I'll say so in the text.

Text back and forth to clarify some complex situation? Nah, never. But to exchange some concise, easy to communicate information without the intrusion of a phone call when someone is likely to be busy, works for me.

As for the teenagers and their one point five zillion texts per day...... I don't get it. But I'm a geezer, so whatdaya expect? ;)

Do you mean to say that the posts on this forum have as much substance as teens' text messages? :angel:

Sure, some of the better threads here do have as much substance as teens' text messages........ :LOL:

Just kiddin'..........

I'm sure 50% of those texts are one or two word dumb things like, "huh, yeah", "hehe", "duh" and "cool."...do those count? =b

I'm sure 50% of those texts are one or two word dumb things like, "huh, yeah", "hehe", "duh" and "cool."...do those count? =b

Well, they count for billing purposes!

I had to google some of these... POS may mean "parents over shoulder" to texters, but to me it means something entirely different...:D
Let's go with Parents over shoulder, since I know what you were thinking.

I've found that the average cell phone coversation may last about a couple minutes while txting can last for hours. Funny thing is........ultimately, the point of the message is the same. But then I shouldn't judge right.

"Text your survey answers to..."

Holy Toledo! What happened to... talking? Is it too 20th century?
Recently texting overcame talking as a means of cell phone communications.

Our kid's school requires them to turn off their cell phones and not talk on them during class time. So how else do they get around that?

When her group is planning a get-together they'll easily eat up 50 texts figuring out where & when. 200 texts/month is durance vile for her. 400/month is about right. The next increment up from 200 on her iPhone contract is 1500, but that's her funding problem.

"Point of sale", right?

Back
Top Bottom