The Fridge Fiasco

Delivery people were as nice as can be.

That was the one positive aspect of the whole experience, the delivery guys were all friendly and great to deal with. They all spoke Spanish as their primary language, and kept calling me "boss" which felt weird, but they were genuinely nice guys. Most times the delivery guys were the ones pointing out the flaws when they unpacked them and told me they wouldn't accept a fridge like that.

Around the third visit the guy seemed appreciative that we weren't yelling at them about the flaws. He made it sound like a lot of customers can be quite rude and aggressive.

Unfortunately, we live in the mountains and have a tight curving driveway. They showed up with a huge delivery truck they really struggled to get down our drive. I finally convinced the guy to back down the next couple times and that went much better. But, I had to go rake out the ruts their big truck left each time after they were gone.

When they brought in my refrigerator they didn't roll it at all. The two guys had on waist belts with 2 straps under the refrigerator from one guy to the other and they carried it.

About 30+ years ago... So our marriage started with unemployment...

30 days after buying our first house, I got laid off. Boss ask if I had any savings, at the time we had about $3,000. That would have covered 6.88 mortgage payments, Ya, I know we had a large mortgage payment :LOL: but only because the interest rate was 13.75%.

When they brought in my refrigerator they didn't roll it at all. The two guys had on waist belts with 2 straps under the refrigerator from one guy to the other and they carried it.

Same here. I was the one constantly rolling the fridges in and out of the alcove to disconnect the water line for the icemaker and whatnot. No one to blame but myself.

That’s how they brought my new fridge into my house. Good thing because I was concerned about my new flooring.
Took the old one out the same way.
Easier on their backs I’m assuming.

2 years ago I bought a stove, dishwasher and refrigerator from Lowe’s and they all were perfect. I guess I got lucky.

2 years ago I bought a stove, dishwasher and refrigerator from Lowe’s and they all were perfect. I guess I got lucky.

Yep, so far, so good.

I bought all new Whirlpool Gold appliances in 2012. Got Whirlpool based on Consumer Reports excellent repair frequency record.

Refrigerator: new, redesigned defroster drain tube, 2016, $12?. New Jazz controller board, 2015, $99? Jazz board was purchased thinking it would fix condition I later learned was caused by drain tube. Probably an unnecessary repair. Installed both myself.

Stove: New large heating element $75? 2015, installed myself.

Dishwasher: Diverter valve motor assembly, total cost including install was $190. 2021.

So far microwave has been trouble free.
<jinxed>

Last edited:
Yep, so far, so good.

I bought all new Whirlpool Gold appliances in 2012.

Refrigerator: new, redesigned defroster drain tube, $12?. New Jazz controller board $79? Installed both myself.

Stove: New large heating element $75? installed myself

Dishwasher: Diverter valve motor assembly, total cost including install was $190.

So far microwave has been trouble free.
<jinxed>

I do this too:

Last year -

New tub suspension rods and springs in the Matyag washer - $105.00

New defrost heating coil in the 12 year old fridge. - $40.00

Parts are out there. I use AppliancePartsPros.com.

Lowes my look like Home Depot but they are not the same.

I've heard several stories of Lowes leaving customers high and dry with appliances delivery and installs.

We bought our new dishwasher from Costco. Free delivery and great installation. Price was competitive with the big box stores.

I sometimes wonder if appliances with dents, dings, and scratches are returned to the warehouse and just assigned to another order, and continually sent out until they reach a customer who finally accepts.

We've replaced a few appliances and had some issues in the past 2 years. Everyone we ordered was unboxed after it arrived at our address. Not likely all that packaging was re-done from a prior delivery. DW is a "particular customer" or whatever the snarky description is.

I do this too:

Last year -

New tub suspension rods and springs in the Maytag washer - $105.00

I was going to replace the rods and springs in mine, because of violent shaking, as recommended in many forums online, then I had one last report that said, "make sure the drum floats up and down on the center shaft. Ours was locked solid. I attempted to free it up and then called in the muscle. My 4' 7" wife (when she has her tall shoes on) I was holding up the drum while she was whacking a 4" x 4" with a 5lb sledge hammer. 100+ whacks later we got it loose, cleaned the shaft and the drum up with fine sandpaper, then reassembled it. The drum floated like it should, first few loads were fine, then it stated doing a little jumping, so then I replaced the springs. I have rechecked the floating part and it is still free after several more years.

New defrost heating coil in the 12 year old fridge. - $40.00

Parts are out there. I use AppliancePartsPros.com.

Hmm... I paid $14 for mine, maybe that's why it only lasted 1.5 years.:mad:
Or did it? 12 days ago the fridge was running warm, I disassembled the freezer section and defrosted the ice built up on the evaporator. This symptom (iced up evaporator) has been an open defrost heater the last 2 times. While I had it apart I test the continuity and the resistance might have been a little high (unsure), but I put it back together and ordered the defrost heater. Usually it lasts about a week before to much ice builds up and the fridge gets warm. I'm now on 12 days and the fridge temp is fine.
I'm in the wait and watch mode, same with my health!

Note to self don't buy a Whirlpool refrigerator...and don't use Lowe's.

We got a new Samsung range on a black friday HD special delivered to our house in 6 days...unloaders couldn't have been nicer. Unboxed it a took pictures of the stove before we signed the paperwork. Within 2 days I had a call from Home Depot and a call from the delivery services asking me if I had any issue at all that they could help me with...

I was going to replace the rods and springs in mine, because of violent shaking, as recommended in many forums online, then I had one last report that said, "make sure the drum floats up and down on the center shaft. Ours was locked solid. I attempted to free it up and then called in the muscle. My 4' 7" wife (when she has her tall shoes on) I was holding up the drum while she was whacking a 4" x 4" with a 5lb sledge hammer. 100+ whacks later we got it loose, cleaned the shaft and the drum up with fine sandpaper, then reassembled it. The drum floated like it should, first few loads were fine, then it stated doing a little jumping, so then I replaced the springs. I have rechecked the floating part and it is still free after several more years.

Hmm... I paid $14 for mine, maybe that's why it only lasted 1.5 years.:mad:
Or did it? 12 days ago the fridge was running warm, I disassembled the freezer section and defrosted the ice built up on the evaporator. This symptom (iced up evaporator) has been an open defrost heater the last 2 times. While I had it apart I test the continuity and the resistance might have been a little high (unsure), but I put it back together and ordered the defrost heater. Usually it lasts about a week before to much ice builds up and the fridge gets warm. I'm now on 12 days and the fridge temp is fine.
I'm in the wait and watch mode, same with my health!

Our tub went up and down fine. It just banged the sides of the washer! :D

We got a new Samsung range on a black friday HD special delivered to our house in 6 days...unloaders couldn't have been nicer. Unboxed it a took pictures of the stove before we signed the paperwork. Within 2 days I had a call from Home Depot and a call from the delivery services asking me if I had any issue at all that they could help me with...

Lowes is so bad off they even offered me a job when I was at the customer service counter returning the microwave. And no one will hire me anymore!:blush:

we completely remodeled our kitchen about 10-yrs ago...all new appliances, cabinets, counters...the works. shopped everywhere for new appliances...fridge, cooktop, microwave, wall oven, dish washer and trash compactor. big box stores Lowe's and Home Depot were less than eager to quote a batch price. they're not sales critters, they're order takers.

we ended up buying everything but the wall oven from a small, local dealer. got a great $ deal, excellent personalized service from the sales critter, delivery and setup on schedule and a free 7-yr 'no-questions-asked' warranty. one service call on fridge in year 5 (bad bail switch on ice maker) and one service call on dish washer in year 6 (soap dispenser door would not latch). very happy. it pays to shop small local shops...if you can still find them.

oh, and we kept our old Montgomery Wards labeled fridge and moved it to the garage. at that point it was roughly 25-26 years old. it's still in our garage and running fine 35-yrs after it was purchased. zero service calls. 👍👍👍👍👍

It is my skeptical, yet somewhat learned opinion, that buying a fridge now will have a much shorter lifespan than one bought 25, 30 or even 38 years ago.
My Kenmore side by side is 27 years old, although I have replaced water valves, defrost heaters and repaired the ice maker a few times, it still does the job of keeping food, frozen or cold. My friend is working with a 38 yr old fridge, both of us can afford new fridges, but it is not easy to spend money on something expensive that you lack confidence it will last 5 years.

I have roughly the same age Kenmore (Whirlpool) side-by-side.

First model year with the extra insulation.

Only have had to replace the water fill valve...once.

Our large GE chest freezer is now ~40 years old, bought it used for $25.

The reason I bought from Lowe’s is because they had appliances when many places didn’t and you had 30 days to get a full refund if you are unhappy with your appliances. Home Depot will only repair the appliances. My stove actually didn’t work right and they took my word for it and gave me a full refund and picked it up. I then ordered a different maker. I had actually forgotten about the stove not working properly.

Last edited:
Bought a fridge from Lowe's about 6 years ago. The installer guy say's "you have a dent on the door. I'll knock $50 off your price or we can return it". The dent was right by the handle and you can barely see it and only if you look at the right angle. I told him I'll take it. Its been working flawlessly ever since. When I have people over I sometimes challenge them to find the dent. So far nobody has found it.

I have a number of rentals. We do business with the property management side of a long established local appliance store in that area. Never an issue.

I have an order in for a refrigerator with no icemaker from Costco for this house. We shall see how that goes.

We have had more trouble with Lowe's Refrigerators than I care to remember.

When we bought our house down here, the previous owner made a big show about the great fridge he was giving us......ice maker, filtered water dispenser, yada, yada. That POS fridge lasted about 6 months. Perhaps my Bourbon and water over crushed ice habit was too much for it to handle.

DW researched a highly rated LG unit, and Lowe's had it On Sale (plus their 5% card discount). It was delivered and installed in good order. That one lasted about a year. The neighborhood repair man said all of these off-shore manufacturers turn out junk. When he needs a fridge, he buys it at the local scratch & dent shop for $300....these things are considered disposable items now.

We replaced the LG with a Whirlpool, the first one had a big dent on the front door. Two weeks later another Whirlpool was delivered, this one sounded like a cement mixer and never did cool things down. The third one worked, but eventually the ice maker quit. Repair guy said the manufacturer cut corners on the length of the cable into the ice maker -- every time you opened the door that cable frayed a little, until it breaks. The replacement cable costs more thant the damn fridge costs.

Forget Lowe's. Our next fridge will come from the local Appliance store.

Wow, what a story and ordeal mountainsoft!

We replaced our refrigerator a few years ago, it was in the center appliance aisle at Home Depot, "scratch and dent" area. DH and I looked it all over, in and out, along with the sales person, could not find a single thing wrong with it. No scratches, dents, doors and drawers all worked fine, clean inside and out. The only thing I could find was a small black smudge on the front, no dent underneath.
Bought it at a great discount and delivery/installation/removal of old fridge went with out a hitch. And the smudge went away with a few wipes of stainless steel cleaner!
Works great and totally quiet.

My Whirlpool fridge is working great... they are rated higher than Samsung and LG from what I read...

Back
Top Bottom