The Zombie Barnes & Noble order

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
In early July I ordered a Nook tablet from Barnes & Noble. When the order arrived, the package contained a Nook charger but no Nook.

I contacted B&N and, to their credit, was promised a replacement Nook. I received the following emails from them:

July 7 - "Your Order 692694XXX Has Been Received"
July 7 - "Your Order 692694XXX Is Scheduled To Ship"
July 8 - "Your Order 692694XXX Is On Its Way"

I received the Nook the following day and thought the process was complete. Apparently not as I continued to receive emails about the order status...

July 10 - "Your Order 692694XXX Is Scheduled To Ship"
July 10 - "Your Order 692694XXX Is Scheduled To Ship"

I considered the repeated "your Nook is ready to ship" emails as a system glitch and disregarded them (I got no additional shipment). Then after a two month lull the emails started again...

September 8 - "Your Order 692694XXX Has Been Canceled"

This message showed the "canceled" order was to be shipped to someone other than me - someone I don't know. I immediately called B&N to ask WTF? They seemed to be as confused as I was and I got no resolution, only an apology for the error. I changed my B&N account password.

It didn't end there...

September 16 - "Your Order 692694XXX Has Been Canceled"

A repeat of the September 8 email saying my order, scheduled to be shipped to the same mystery recipient, had been canceled.

I called B&N and insisted on talking with a supervisor. After being placed on terminal hold, I gave up. Later that day...

September 16 - "Your Order 692694XXX Has Been Shipped"

The mystery recipient of my zombie order was apparently going to get a Nook. But since the order was for a replacement the billing amount was zero, so I decided to not worry about it.

September 23 - "Your Order 692694XXX Has Been Shipped" (A duplicate of the September 16 message.)

And on and on... :)

That might help explain why they are having such a hard time of it. How do you like the nook?

That might help explain why they are having such a hard time of it....

We still have a store not far from us and someone recently gave me a $50 BN gift card. I used it immediately as I don't see them staying in business much longer and I didn't want to get stuck with it. Especially since they apparently will be shipping all the Nooks to REWahoo.

DW and I both really enjoy our Nooks. She loves the ability to read magazines while I use it mostly as a reader and replacement for my Kindle.

Last edited:
Similar problems with buying a Nook. I bought it at Walmart.com and paid with a credit card. When I picked it up, no one was around, so the store manager just handed it to me, with a promise of paperwork to follow.

Then I got a notice that I forgot to pick it up, followed by a refund on my credit card. I sent an email indicating that I had picked it up, they responded "not our problem".

I sent a second email indicating that I had picked it up, they responded that they will get back to me in 3 to 5 days. That was over a month ago. I think I got a free Nook.

By the way, I love the Nook HD Plus and would have gladly paid the $150.

With operations management like that, how could a business not fail?

Did you talk to them more than once when you mentioned you did not get one:confused:

My boss had a problem with Verizon.... it seemed that the receptionist called them to get a phone replaced.... then went to the store... somehow she ordered at least two (I think three, but the Verizon person would not verify).... it took them awhile to fix the problem... all the while threatening to shut down his phone for not paying them for a phone he never got....

Two emails and an extended phone call before I gave up. Now I'm simply watching my CC billing to be sure I don't get charged.
More effort than most would make. :)

Two emails and an extended phone call before I gave up. Now I'm simply watching my CC billing to be sure I don't get charged.
Watch out--Maybe BN will charge you for Travelover's Nook and Walmart will give him another refund for the cost he paid that got refunded to him erroneously once already.

Last edited:
After three weeks of silence, I once again got the "Your Order 692694XXX Is On Its Way" email from Barnes & Noble.

I'm considering having it engraved on my tombstone...

I am just hoping ACA does not use the same Web software developer.

Back
Top Bottom