Government Efficiency

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm not sure whether to post this in the jokes section or just other topics.

I'm 60 y.o. now, but when I was 19, my mom collected Social Security on my behalf while I went to college, as both my parents were geezers. I also worked to pay for school. This working thing got me in trouble with SS and they said they over paid for me, but I didn't hear anything more ...........that is until a month ago when my federal income tax was garnished. So, I called them up and asked "WTF??" . They said, yes, we are after the money we overpaid on your behalf 40 years ago. I asked why they waited 40 years. The answer was - we just got our computer system working. :LOL:

I guess I should be grateful that they don't charge interest.

Last edited:
When I saw the title to this tread I thought the same thing, that this post should be in the jokes section. (still sounds like a joke to me) I guess the statute of limitations doesn't apply here. And by the way, I wouldn't ask them why they aren't charging you interest.:nonono:

When I saw the title to this tread I thought the same thing, that this post should be in the jokes section. (still sounds like a joke to me) I guess the statute of limitations doesn't apply here. And by the way, I wouldn't ask them why they aren't charging you interest.:nonono:

I did a little research and found a case of a woman that was asked to pay back money that her mother wrongfully received on her behalf while this woman was an infant. So, I don't think the statute of limitations works with the gummint.

Government efficiency? That's an oxymoron....

What is really sad is they are still using 40 year old computers and programming in Cobol.

So, I don't think the statute of limitations works with the gummint.

The general rule has long been "nullum tempis occurrit regi" (no time runs against the king). So, unless there is a statute specifically providing that the limitation period for bringing an action applies to the government, it doesn't. The philosophy behind this rule is that the people should not be prejudiced by any sloth on the part of their public servants.

So the SS benefit for dependents in school, is invalid if the student earns income?

So the SS benefit for dependents in school, is invalid if the student earns income?

Well, it has been over 40 years and I'm sure the rules have changed, but I recall it had something to do with how much income I made.

I just thought that 1) it was hilarious that 40 years later the government jumps out of the weeds and grabs the money and 2) that it was pitiful that they were just now computerizing this function.

Not exactly - at least not now (don't know about the past).

My daughter currently receives SS benefits as my DH is retired.

My understanding is that income and taxes are important in 2 situations:

1. Her SS benefits are not taxable to her if she has no other income. However, if she earned above $X then her benefits could become taxable. I haven't focused on the amounts at this point as she does not have a job.

2. If DH or her (or both in combination) earned above a certain amount then she could lose benefits. Again, neither one is earning any money so I haven't focused on this.

What is really sad is they are still using 40 year old computers and programming in Cobol.
Back in 1997-8 (aka Y2K minus two years), a number of ER'd programmers got called out of retirement to save certain financial institutions. One of them, from the UK, reported that the major bank he was working for still had the core of their system running in pre-decimal currency (the old pounds, shillings, and pence: 12 pence = one shilling, 20 shillings = one pound) which was abolished in 1971, with all transactions involving fractional pounds being converted into "old money". That might well still be the case today.

The only thing worse than an inefficient government is an efficient one. Would a Jew in late 30s into WW2 rather have lived in Germany or Italy?

Ha

You would be surprised to know how much Cobol is at the core of many huge systems today. There's still assembly out there with core business functions as well.

MRG

The only thing worse than an inefficient government is an efficient one. Would a Jew in late 30s into WW2 rather have lived in Germany or Italy?
No.

I am just curious why they thought they could take the money from YOU when it was you mother who received it....

I am just curious why they thought they could take the money from YOU when it was you mother who received it....
Excellent question. I researched this and found cases where people were dunned for payment to their parents when they were infants. As far as I can tell, that is the law.

The irony to me is that I was proud of myself at the time for working hard and earning money fixing lawnmowers at a local shop. It never occurred to me that I would be punished for it 40 years later. :blush:

The irony to me is that I was proud of myself at the time for working hard and earning money fixing lawnmowers at a local shop. It never occurred to me that I would be punished for it 40 years later. :blush:

Yup, that one would've slipped past me too.

Update

I got a really nice birthday present yesterday. After a year of hounding SS drones to provide me with my file so I could pour over it and look for a basis to appeal it, I was finally able to talk to a person with some actual authority.

This person agreed to send me a check for all the money that had been garnished from my income tax return, but cautioned that I would need to proceed with the appeal process. But, when the check arrived, it was accompanied by a letter saying that I could just keep the money. :dance:

The Washington Post had an article in April of this year which resulted in the SSA changing its policy. The title of the article is "Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents' decades-old debts". Here's a link to that article:

Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents’ decades-old debts - The Washington Post

Here's a link to the article about the policy change which came about very quickly after the above article was published and there was an outcry in DC:

Social Security stops trying to collect on old debts by seizing tax refunds - The Washington Post

But do not worry, Government will get larger. It is the natural course of all governments. And then they fail.

The Washington Post had an article in April of this year which resulted in the SSA changing its policy. The title of the article is "Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents' decades-old debts". Here's a link to that article:

Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents’ decades-old debts - The Washington Post

Here's a link to the article about the policy change which came about very quickly after the above article was published and there was an outcry in DC:

Social Security stops trying to collect on old debts by seizing tax refunds - The Washington Post

Thank you so much for posting these links! It is great to know that I'm not the only one that got the total run around when I requested documentation regarding their case against me. One drone actually told me he had it on his screen, but had no way to print it and send it to me. I told him to take a picture of the screen with his cell phone. :LOL:

What is wrong with COBOL or FORTRAN :confused:.

Maybe someone at the Social Security admin. was retiring , and found a stack of punch cards marked "Urgent" when cleaning out his desk.

I guess the next thing the gov will do if they can't find a live person to pay the old debt is to put a lien on the cemetery plot.;):D

Back
Top Bottom