Things that make you feel rich - NOT money

Having a steak dinner with a friend or two, chased down with a few brews of course. And not having to go to work the next morning. :)

Bed sheets dried outside, they are nice and crisp and smell wonderful, a very different feel than dried in the dryer!

Going out at night when it's in the single digits or teens and seeing so many stars due to the dry air and smelling wood smoke from my wood stove.

Doing what I want when I want.

My quality ones are Calvin Klein and I've got a pair on right now as I type this!!! Now the big question. How many days in a row do you wear a pair before washing?

and......... do you turn them inside out and wear both sides before putting them into the wash? :LOL:

Now the big question. How many days in a row do you wear a pair before washing?

4 days:).
Day 1. inside in, front to front.
Day 2. inside out, front to front.
Day 3. inside out, front to back.
Day 4. inside in, front to back.

Order may change.

4 days:).
Day 1. inside in, front to front.
Day 2. inside out, front to front.
Day 3. inside out, front to back.
Day 4. inside in, front to back.

Order may change.

No, no, no King! It is always yellow in the front and brown in the back! :cool:

Where is the door, I will just show myself out... :blush:

Queenie

Going to a tool store with nice quality tools and not cringing at the price. On a home remodel, two Rockwell sanders and one Rockwell Sonic multitool went belly up the same day. Two were with less than a week of (ab)use. The were replaced with Milwaukee sanders and a Fein Multimaster.

Using a quality tool to a DIY feels akin to driving a sports car, (or to Nords, a perfect break). A rich feeling, indeed.

Learning new stuff/things/ and making it work.

For example, last night I finally got the color matching precisely correct between the camera, screen, and printer. DW just didn't understand what the enthusiasm was about but it made my day. This means that I can get the colors correct in photographs of subjects other than a color chart.

This is a color checking chart leaning against a piece of white foamboard leaning against a bookcase. Unless your monitor is also color calibrated it won't be accurate:
You're giving me flashbacks Walt. I remember all the fun I had having a custom profile made for my printer, and calibrating the monitor etc. Even though I don't do as much photography as I used to, it has permanently rendered me incapable of buying a cheap monitor :(

Finally about done airing out and photographing and re-rolling , sorting, and stowing the rugs - shifting different rugs to floors and walls and our anti-moth storage area. Found only a few rugs that were really dirty - one a well worn pretty monotone brown Balouch that just rained dirt and dust. Balouch rugs tend to have very regular patterns and darker colors without a lot of contrast - restful under harsh light.

Didn't want to stack it with the cleaner rugs, so this morning I've been giving it a bath. Lots of suds came up when just using clean water, meaning it had been bathed before but all the soap didn't rinse out. As I worked on the rug I noticed that someone who really knew their stuff had stopped the ends and done a little bit of very good re-piling. As the rug got cleaner I started noticing the variety in the pattern - The weaver did all sorts of fun little variations - the rug is looking like one that will keep on giving as its viewed.

My shoulders have kept me from much rug cleaning the last couple years and I'd forgotten the joy of seeing a swan emerge from a dingy coat - the smell of the wet wool has a lot of joy in it for me as well. I get much pleasure bringing something worthwhile back to respectability that has been neglected - and often things get more worthwhile to me the more effort I put into them.

Last edited:
Just got back from our annual trek to the vast midwest. As I sit here typing, my eyes are drawn past the lanai to the more vast Pacific ocean (and the remainder of the unusual south swell we have been enjoying). This is the essence of luxury to me. Yes, it cost money to have this luxury, but it was part of the plan - part of the plan that has worked AS we planned - and maybe then some.

This makes me feel rich!

Tough question. The older I get the less I care about things. Sure there are a few things I treasure, but they tend to be inexpensive items with sentiment or longevity that makes them special to me. We've sold many items without any regret, though they seemed important once.

We loved sailing, but after 35 years sailing and 22 years of boat expenses, it wasn't worth it to us anymore. It was a 33 footer, and it was our #1 spending expense. And we sold it last Dec, no regrets (at least me, DW not quite as sure).

What I like the most is probably what's left on my bucket list. None are things, they're all experiences or personal goals. I've completed about 70, and most were exhilarating in their time, but I don't spend much time thinking about what was. So the 50 or so items left to go, are the most fun things in my life. And the list is dynamic, it will never be completed...so many experiences to look forward to.

Last edited:
Unfettered time. Time to plan something thoroughly, and then do it at your own pace, do it well, with satisfaction, and without a lot of interruptions.

Back
Top Bottom