Things you just don't get !

Why people delight in belittling what other people enjoy, support or believe in? (running and ducking) :)

Last edited:
Why people delight in belittling what other people enjoy...? (running and ducking) :)

Like revenue-generating activities? There's a running thread against that as we speak. ;)

It's a lot more fun up in the pointy end of the plane.

Umm... What end is that again?

W020090725329934884177.jpg

That Aria flight did land with a crosswind!

Well, not sure if crosswind had anything to do with it, but it came in a bit fast, landed long, then run out of runway.

That Aria flight did land with a crosswind!

Well, not sure if crosswind had anything to do with it, but it came in a bit fast, landed long, then run out of runway.
This picture validates the old reply when people complain about getting seats at the rear of the plane: At least airplanes don't back into the side of a mountain...

Umm... I knew of a plane that landed a bit too hard, and its tail broke off. Vertical tail and the horizontal stabilizer. Gaping hole looking into the fuselage. The break was about right after the rear-most seats, if I can recall. It was a test flight, not a revenue flight though.

PS. I know this is a severe case of topic drift, but cannot resist. And I know there are former pilots and aviation enthusiasts here. The landing I mentioned was intentionally made hard, to certify that the aircraft frame could stand up to a certain structural limit. The test pilot messed up, and landed it way too hard. Oops... This happened many years ago, and was widely known in the aviation industry, as it was reported in Aviation Week. People used to joke about it, at the expense of the poor test pilot. Even today, people still remember this. See following comment from a pilot as posted in a forum.

The intent of this particular flight was to land at a 12fps descent rate, a very hard landing rate for a commercial airliner.
The pilot in command on this flight messed up a bit, and brought it down at a 17fps rate - basically a carrier landing descent rate.
This is almost 3 times the 'normal' landing descent rate of 6fps used by most airlines.
This film-clip is really a testament to the quality of the MDC product.
I'm certain that most airliners would have snapped in half at mid-fuselage at this abusive descent rate.

So, do not let my jokings scare you.

Last edited:
As the old saying goes, the pilots are always the first ones at scene of a crash.

Flying in the Aleutians, those crosswind landings are routine. Takeoffs are even more interesting when from the cockpit, in my case usually the jump seat, while still in ground effect turn sideways, and watching the scenery go across the windscreen.

The pilot balancing power to accelerate but not too much, so we were not scraping the mountainside with the nose or the tail but still gaining altitude, and not take off the church spires going over town.

I was always in awe of the Reeve Aleutian Air pilots, they could do amazing things with YS11s.

Those modified Hondas a) the noise from the muffler is really annoying unless you have a 5-7 yr boy's mentality b) it's still a 4 cylinder & c) the cost to install can exceed the value of the car

Lou-evil... :LOL:

How 'bout those Hoosiers! >:D

What I don't get is all the new things they have for baby care . What baby needs a gym or a specialized pillow ?

"Unhooked generation"? Is that like the "Sunkist Club" for vasectomies..... all juice, no seeds

Yep, that's it.

I borrowed an old "stop smoking" campaign slogan (join the unhooked generation). Just seemed to fit. Tried to Google and I see that the phrase has been purloined and co-opted by so many other folks that the original meaning seems to be lost. I guess that's how you know how effective someone's add campaign is. The message becomes incorporated into the vernacular.

A funny (to everyone else ) sidelight: As you know, the "procedure" is done with local anesthetic. With the first cut, I rose off the table as the anesthetic had not been completely effective. Kind of reminds me of (IIRC) a Cosby album bit regarding the same subject. The Dr. is working away while Cos is relaxing on the table. The Dr. says "Oooops!" Don't recall the rest of the bit.

Sure they got all the bugs worked out of this procedure by now, heh, heh. YMMV

What I don't get is all the new things they have for baby care . What baby needs a gym or a specialized pillow ?
It's a hypercompetitive society out there, and it appears to me that some folks think creating the "right" environment for a 2-year-old will give them an early advantage in the college admissions game, I suspect. These days it's never too early to gain a competitive advantage.

This picture validates the old reply when people complain about getting seats at the rear of the plane: At least airplanes don't back into the side of a mountain...

True - and they live longer than the people at the front of the plane

I don't get bra straps showing! Growing up in the fifties through seventies, it was enough to ruin your day at school to be told that a bra strap was peeking out of your sleeveless dress/top! There were even these loops to prevent it! Now people will wear a regular bra with the most cutout tops (like halters and strapless) and have the straps show. Not that I think it's indecent---I just think it ruins the style. But I know, it IS the style! It's just that I am old enough to think of bras (including the straps) as UNDERwear....

Yep, that's it.

I borrowed an old "stop smoking" campaign slogan (join the unhooked generation). Just seemed to fit. Tried to Google and I see that the phrase has been purloined and co-opted by so many other folks that the original meaning seems to be lost. I guess that's how you know how effective someone's add campaign is. The message becomes incorporated into the vernacular.

A funny (to everyone else ) sidelight: As you know, the "procedure" is done with local anesthetic. With the first cut, I rose off the table as the anesthetic had not been completely effective. Kind of reminds me of (IIRC) a Cosby album bit regarding the same subject. The Dr. is working away while Cos is relaxing on the table. The Dr. says "Oooops!" Don't recall the rest of the bit.

Sure they got all the bugs worked out of this procedure by now, heh, heh. YMMV

Out here they've even got "scalpel free" snips. Not sure how well they work :cool:

Flying in the Aleutians, those crosswind landings are routine. Takeoffs are even more interesting when from the cockpit, in my case usually the jump seat, while still in ground effect turn sideways, and watching the scenery go across the windscreen.

The pilot balancing power to accelerate but not too much, so we were not scraping the mountainside with the nose or the tail but still gaining altitude, and not take off the church spires going over town.

I was always in awe of the Reeve Aleutian Air pilots, they could do amazing things with YS11s.

Nui <------- takes the Aleutians off her bucket list of places to go

I don't get why:

They call it the American Cancer Society? Shouldn't it be the American Anti-Cancer Society? We don't have an Animal Cruelty Society, do we ( I hope not! I'm not an animal 'lover' but I hate to see them suffer)?

Along that thought train (And this might get me some flames), I don't get why they have 'walks' or 'runs' for things like cancer, etc. Yeah, I know, it is to 'raise awareness' and 'raise' money. But they aren't 'raising' money - they are 'collecting' money that other people raised (rose?).

It always struck me as odd. Now, if they said this group was going to go clean up a park, or something useful, and the money donated/saved for that effort would go to X charity, that would make more sense to me. I don't care if someone runs/walks somewhere - what does that have to do with my money? At any rate, I decide how much I'm giving to charity for the year, and if I do give to something like that, it's just going to come out of somewhere else (or I budget for X number of these misc things anyhow, but it is still a total $ thing).

-ERD50

I don't get why:

They call it the American Cancer Society? Shouldn't it be the American Anti-Cancer Society? We don't have an Animal Cruelty Society, do we ( I hope not! I'm not an animal 'lover' but I hate to see them suffer)?

-ERD50

George Carlin: why do they call it a hot water heater. Hot water doesn't need to be heated. What you want is a COLD water heater

George Carlin: why do they call it a hot water heater. Hot water doesn't need to be heated. What you want is a COLD water heater

George Carlin was my favorite comedian . I saw him in concert twice and both times I laughed so much I missed half the lines !

No, you are already relatively close to those islands, and you should still go.

Though, you may be a bit late to join the residents' support of the "Occupy Wall Street" movement. Here's a photo of some islanders displaying signs proclaiming "Occupy the Bering Sea"! :D

Argghh! Someone is going to add this "Occupy the Bering Sea" to the list of things they don't get!

occupyberingsea.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get why humans can't do a little better job of standardization.

For example, our two Toyota vehicles have oil filters that are almost exactly the same. Why aren't they the same? There are probably 50 different sizes of commonly used oil filter, when the world could probably standardize on about four different types.

And each company has their own number. Here are the part numbers for the same filter: Fram PH4967, Toyota 90915-YZZA2, Pennzoil PZ-39, Bosch 3311

Everyone would benefit from having only four different filters, and everyone using the same part number.

Another example, there are hundreds of image file formats. Only a few are necessary.

We've had the concept of standardized parts since 1790. When things are standardized (e.g. USB cables) everyone benefits. But even with the USB cables there are many different connectors on the non-computer end.

And chargers...

But, but, but that would mean higher efficiencies...

And, and, that means more people who will have to join the ER forum, non-voluntarily I might add.

Observing how megacorps operate, I have recently come to the conclusion that there is method to their madness. They want to keep everybody busy doing nonsensical work. It's not a written thing, spelled out anywhere in the company policies. It's just that each department would want to grow, to have more budget, a bigger piece of the pie in the company hierarchy. So, there is really no incentive for directors or department managers to produce more with less. What's in it for them?

Now, they can still survive financially, because their competitors are also doing the same thing. Inefficiencies could be observed everywhere in society. We are all on the same footing!

It all works out, until a new kid on the block, those emerging market countries, starts to stir up trouble by working harder than we do. That's when the trouble starts, in my view.

Last edited:
I don't get that people don't get stuff. ;) Google and Wiki have pretty much solved most of life's mysteries. Although this forum and the Khan academy deserve a shout out also for helping me "get" stuff.

I will admit that my brain hurts trying to understand Steven Hawking's books, quantum mechanicss, and of course the #1 mystery in the world in women.

You are going to miss out on the ultimate bragging rights, skinny dipping in the Bering sea.

I have done it.

Back
Top Bottom