This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got about an inch and a half here in Crownsville, MD, until it turned into rain. But, it was a thick, heavy snow. Enough that I was able to take one of the inner tubes we use in the swimming pool, and slide down a hill with it!

The last really serious storm I remember us having was in January 2016. I was in Glenn Dale, MD at the time...only about 15 miles from my current house, but just enough to make a difference with these storms, sometimes. We got 19". But I can remember the folks in Laurel, maybe 10 miles away, getting much more than that.

My uncle has a snow blower, which was a bit help. However, it's sat for so long now, I wouldn't be surprised if the seals haven't dried up, and the fuel leaked out.

Back in early 2019, we got about 9-10 inches. But I was on furlough and didn't have to go anywhere. And, while it piled up pretty good on the grass, it packed down and melted pretty fast on the driveway and the streets. Another advantage I have to my current house is that the driveway, while it's on a hill, has a southern exposure, and the Sun seems to melt the hill pretty quickly.

This section of the Pacific Coast Highway, reportedly near Rat Creek, collapsed into the ocean after heavy rains from winter storm Orlena.

143918602_5003766389665165_8948965659024650072_o.jpg

Looks like a nor'easter is coming Sunday through Tuesday. Our area in the Mid-Atlantic has a current snow forecast range of 4-12 inches depending on the track. Saturday looks like a good day for pre-storm panic shopping. :)

Looks like a nor'easter is coming Sunday through Tuesday. Our area in the Mid-Atlantic has a current snow forecast range of 4-12 inches depending on the track. Saturday looks like a good day for pre-storm panic shopping. :)

I hit the grocery store on Friday, and it was bad enough then, I wouldn't have gone near the place on Saturday! You're probably close enough to here that the forecasts are similar if not identical. I'm looking forward to it, I'll get to play with the nice new snowblower I bought a couple of years ago and has only had one decent workout since I bought it. The "Autoturn" transmission on it makes it a lot easier to turn around than the older straight shaft one I gave to a BIL. It's hard to write the check for something like that but when we get a heavy snowfall like this, it is sooooo worth it!:LOL:

Attachments

• weather 2021-01-30.png
    weather 2021-01-30.png
    166.2 KB · Views: 44
Here in Nova we are looking forward to a decent snow. Yes weather has been awful past week or so but snow helps.

Forecast is 4-8 inches over 2 days which means we could get a dusting or a foot

Perhaps a little skiing next week.

Last edited:
We were supposed to get a bunch of snow a few days ago. We got 3”. Tonight supposed to get 5-9”. Looks possible so far. Tomorrow could be a fun day.

I should have stocked up a bit more when I did the grocery shopping Thursday morning.
I didn't realize it was a Sunday evening through Tuesday morning.
I hope the Mister Heater Buddy that runs on small canisters of propane will still work.
Have all three power banks (500 Wh, 300 Wh, 300 Wh) ready to go.
Have 8 D-size batteries for the boombox.
Can cook on the gas stove.
Don't have to worry about the food in the refridgerator since it will be below freezing outside.

We are in the 8 to 12” range. Starts Sunday AM at about 3AM and supposedly runs through Tuesday morning. High temps of 34 for the next 2 days. Should be interesting.

I hit the grocery store on Friday, and it was bad enough then, I wouldn't have gone near the place on Saturday! You're probably close enough to here that the forecasts are similar if not identical. I'm looking forward to it, I'll get to play with the nice new snowblower I bought a couple of years ago and has only had one decent workout since I bought it. The "Autoturn" transmission on it makes it a lot easier to turn around than the older straight shaft one I gave to a BIL. It's hard to write the check for something like that but when we get a heavy snowfall like this, it is sooooo worth it!:LOL:

You were right, at least for Saturday afternoon shopping. DW went out early Saturday when it was still a Winter Storm Watch and snow was not supposed to start until late Sunday morning. Of course the forecast changed to a Winter Storm Warning and snow starting at 5AM by the time I went out for my "snowed in comfort snacks" Saturday evening. Costco, which is normally quiet before the Saturday evening close, was packed. Fortunately I had so little to get was was practically able to hold my breath from the time I ran in to the time I ran out :).

I do not mind the snow either. I have no need to go anywhere so I am not in a rush to clear it. My electric snowblower should handle most of what we get, and I will shovel some as my workout in place of going to the gym.

75 F here...played golf today. Have another tee time for next week. This winter weather sure in nice.

Starting tomorrow, we will have 3 straight days where the high is under 70, then back to the 70's high.

This cardinal looked a bit surprised. Mainly hanging in the hollies.

Attachments

• PXL_20210131_130152322.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210131_130152322.MP.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 30
I had trouble pushing my door open today through the accumulated snow. Still coming down. Fortunately, a kindly neighbor hit my sidewalk with a snowblower, so I have a few hours before I need to go out shoveling. Shoveling my yard walkways is going to be "fun."

We are in the 8 to 12” range. Starts Sunday AM at about 3AM and supposedly runs through Tuesday morning. High temps of 34 for the next 2 days. Should be interesting.

Sounds like "heart attack" snow. Maybe go out and snowblow every 3-4 inches? Be careful.

Broke out my snow blower, first time since I moved to FL. We are up north this winter. I probably should have bought fresh gas/oil. Also, didn't it used to have a muffler? Loud and stinky, but the driveway is clear(ish).

-4 Deg F when I woke up. Stalled the dog until warmed all the way up to +4 deg before walking him.:dance:

Sounds like "heart attack" snow. Maybe go out and snowblow every 3-4 inches? Be careful.

Thank you. I am at the age where I hire people to do that job. And they do it well :popcorn:. The only thing I do now when it snows is watch :dance:.

Thank you. I am at the age where I hire people to do that job. And they do it well :popcorn:. The only thing I do now when it snows is watch :dance:.

Good idea. I'm not in the financial position to justify that at this time. I'm too young(41) to worry about a heart attack with shoveling but I do have significant leg pain as a result of clearing snow. Still not paying someone to do it, I just take my time and take a couple breaks.

It was a lot easier when we had teenagers living at home. They shoveled, mowed took out the garbage, etc. Now their kids handle those jobs :whistle:. Unfortuanately, they live too far away to do any of that now :facepalm:.

Last I checked, this morning, NYC could get 22".

Heart attack risk when shoveling increases significantly in early 50s, unless you're in the right physical condition.

Good news is I ordered from Amazon with the cheapest shipping and it came the next day. I wonder if that's because they're anticipating snow.

I had trouble pushing my door open today through the accumulated snow. Still coming down. Fortunately, a kindly neighbor hit my sidewalk with a snowblower, so I have a few hours before I need to go out shoveling. Shoveling my yard walkways is going to be "fun."

Out here in the exurbs we got maybe 2 inches, maybe less. The wind was blowing so steadily for the last day or so, the actual snowfall is hard to gauge. We have a couple drifts but also quite a few bare spots. Seems like it's pretty much done for now.

The weather pattern in recent years seems to move the big snows south of us into Northern Illinois and along the state line, but you guys along Lake Michigan enjoy that Lake Effect.

Once upon a time we'd get waves of Alberta Clippers dropping a couple inches each along with dips in temperature. I don't think we've seen any of those this season. Overall December and January temps were pretty mild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom