This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big local story is of a young woman who had to be air lifted to Honolulu after a snow boarding accident on Mauna Kea. We got our first big snow before the mainland did.

A big local story is of a young woman who had to be air lifted to Honolulu after a snow boarding accident on Mauna Kea. We got our first big snow before the mainland did.

I find it hard to envision why anyone would travel to Hawaii to go snowboarding.:facepalm: It just seems like misplaced priorities.

Interesting. I'm only about 20-30 miles from you, and we got some fairly significant snow. It was spread out over 3 days, but I'd estimate we got at least 10". It just stopped within the past hour. We had some major ice dams on our roof, and I used the snow blower twice and shoveled a few times in the interim. It wasn't a storm that I would worry about, but it definitely warranted virtually closing the virtual schools. The major road nearby (Rt 7) is wet but clear, but the back roads are slushy/icy depending on the time of day.

We are probably a few miles east of you (and well east of Walt). We got probably 3 inches Sunday, maybe another 1 inch yesterday through today. Shoveled everything yesterday and a bit more today. But it is melting now, still pretty.

So I guess we got to the predicted "4-8 inches" but just barely.

But snow is a nice backdrop for birdwatching.

I estimate we got about 10 inches.
Flurries still coming down, but it is above freezing so some melting this afternoon.
It will freeze over night.

Tons of birds at my bird feeders.
Must be because the snow covers up the ground.

I find it hard to envision why anyone would travel to Hawaii to go snowboarding.:facepalm: It just seems like misplaced priorities.

Uh, not so sure she traveled TO Big Island to go snow boarding. Likely, she lives there OR was otherwise a tourist on Big Island (less likely as tourism is nearly dead right now). SWAG is she lives there, but I do not know.

Back in the day (you know, before Covid) I'm guessing a few brave souls DID venture to Big Island FROM one of the non-snow blessed Islands - it's only a 45 minute flight - to go skiing or snow boarding when the Big Island (or even Haleakala on Maui) get snow. I'm telling you way more than I know here, so take with a grain of (road or margarita) salt 'cause YMMV.

Starting tomorrow, we will have 3 straight days where the high is under 70, then back to the 70's high.
I think today was the first day this season it didn't reach 70, and I ended up not doing my desk work on the patio but moved indoors. It was 85 just a few days ago, what a cold blast this is.

Sorry to the Northerners that I am rubbing it in, but I have done my share of cold endless winters up there and don't need that anymore.

Last edited:
Whoa! What a blow we had this past 24 hours. Big storm blew up from the south - lots of wind, lots of rain, windows leaked because the horizontal rain hit them, drained down and then came in under the frame. Another cost of paradise - crappy building practices. Hope the windows are hurricane proof. Actually, Douglas, back in July was a non-event compared with this particular storm. YMMV

OMG we're doomed! We're gonna be snowed in...

...according to DW anyway. She watches too much TV and gets alarmed at all the doomsday weather predictions. Wednesday night we're forecast for 2-4 inches. Call that three inches. Thursday, maybe, just maybe, an inch. So at worst we're going to get five inches of snow. Now I know for a fact that my plain ol' half-ton 4WD GMC will go just fine in two and a half feet of snow because I've done it. And I just made a grocery run yesterday so we're good for at least a week. So I think we'll somehow survive.

The worst that I predict will happen is that UPS will delay delivery of a model airplane kit from tomorrow into Thursday or maybe Friday. I can deal with that.

The good news is that DW just got her new snow boots from L.L. Bean delivered today, the first snow boots she's bought for 40 years. Seriously! She's been looking off and on since we got married 32 years ago but never found some she liked until now. So I told her she can't buy more snow boots until these are worn out. In 40 years.:)

I think today was the first day this season it didn't reach 70, and I ended up not doing my desk work on the patio but moved indoors. It was 85 just a few days ago, what a cold blast this is.

Sorry to the Northerners that I am rubbing it in, but I have done my share of cold endless winters up there and don't need that anymore.

Go ahead, rub it in, I moved from Michigan to Florida 27 years ago, I don't miss the snow, the cold, the ice, and I don't like the wind when it's cold and snowy and icy!. And I don't like the mess when the snow and ice start to melt. And especially now that I'm 65 yrs old, I really don't want it to be any colder than it is. In the Panhandle we have had some nights getting down to almost 32*F. That's enough for this year.

Yeah we are expecting another winter storm here in Nova in the next couple of days. But the last two were underwhelming compared to the forecast.

So we will see.

...according to DW anyway. She watches too much TV and gets alarmed at all the doomsday weather predictions. Wednesday night we're forecast for 2-4 inches. Call that three inches. Thursday, maybe, just maybe, an inch. So at worst we're going to get five inches of snow. Now I know for a fact that my plain ol' half-ton 4WD GMC will go just fine in two and a half feet of snow because I've done it. And I just made a grocery run yesterday so we're good for at least a week. So I think we'll somehow survive.

Same here... the snow that came in Sunday was only about 4 inches, light and fluffy and then the afternoon warmed up to 40 degrees so I was too lazy to run the snow thrower and easily shoveled it - more pushed off, barely had to lift it. Pre-treating the driveway with ice melt helped.

Right now they are calling here for 3-6 inches Wednesday night into Friday noon, with 4 inches the highest probability. Another relatively easy storm to deal with, but I will go out to COFSDASH tomorrow morning to get DW a few things before the hordes terrified they will run out of food and TP for this storm arrive to pillage the goods.

The worst that I predict will happen is that UPS will delay delivery of a model airplane kit from tomorrow into Thursday or maybe Friday. I can deal with that.

The good news is that DW just got her new snow boots from L.L. Bean delivered today, the first snow boots she's bought for 40 years. Seriously! She's been looking off and on since we got married 32 years ago but never found some she liked until now. So I told her she can't buy more snow boots until these are worn out. In 40 years.:)
Well, I'm not that far from you (the northern DC exurbs) and I'm seeing a little more, but more importantly, it's going to keep coming here, with more snow next Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday! (It's not on the image, but it's predicting another 2.5" on Th.)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-10 07.13.57.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-10 07.13.57.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 57
quote_img.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo1277
I think today was the first day this season it didn't reach 70, and I ended up not doing my desk work on the patio but moved indoors. It was 85 just a few days ago, what a cold blast this is. Sorry to the Northerners that I am rubbing it in, but I have done my share of cold endless winters up there and don't need that anymore.
quote_img.gif

Go ahead, rub it in, I moved from Michigan to Florida 27 years ago, I don't miss the snow, the cold, the ice, and I don't like the wind when it's cold and snowy and icy!. And I don't like the mess when the snow and ice start to melt. And especially now that I'm 65 yrs old, I really don't want it to be any colder than it is. In the Panhandle we have had some nights getting down to almost 32*F. That's enough for this year.
Yep, Michigan to Florida, same here. And what a difference. Now it's back to warm weather, I am sitting on the patio in swim suit writing this, and yesterday it got almost too warm and I had to run the patio fan to cool down.

Expecting a storm here--rain, freezing rain, snow
Anywhere from 0-10 inches or more over 3-4 days, depending on elevation.
Ugh.
Rain, OK, snow OK, freezing rain/black ice is horrible, especially if over/under snow.

My wife is currently browsing homes in Houston online... I had a job offer there a few years ago, and now that our office is virtual, it doesn't really matter where I work. Not sure how much more midwest winters we can take (and we've lived here our whole lives)...

I was w*rking on a project for Megacorp 40+ years ago. It took me to the FL panhandle for a couple of days. Nice weather and I had planned to go to Disney World that weekend before returning to the frozen tundra of the midwest. Watching the weather, I realized it was turning cold - really cold. 22 deg. F the day I left. What in the world?

The worst of it was, when I got to my airport in the midwest, the same storm that made the panhandle 22F had closed the roads home from the airport due to a dozen inches of blowing snow. DW was home, waiting for me to deal with the 70 mph 0F winds that had blown some gutters off the house. NOT a good FL 'vacation' story (until now, heh, heh.) YMMV

It's 78F here right now, with extremely thick, but very patchy fog on the lake. So thick and patchy, in fact, that when we saw it from the lakefront parking lot at the boat launch area, we were confused. We drove around looking to see if a house was on fire by the lakefront about four blocks to the left of the parking lot because the fog appeared to be billowing out onto the lake from there. Nope.

After arriving home I checked online and we have a "dense fog advisory" going on. We get fog here a lot, but this has been the weirdest looking fog that I can ever recall. Oh well. Interesting weather.

Tomorrow should be the last day of warm weather for a while, and then it's going to drop from 78F at present down to 31F on Saturday night.
6978-albums71-picture1763.gif

I turned on the A/C this afternoon, not so much to cool things down as to dehumidify (SW Florida). Meanwhile, it's currently -3F in Fargo, heading down to -17F tonight. :eek:

78F here yesterday and I got 18 holes of golf in with my friends. Today is mid 50's and cool. At SIL's house in northern WI, she recorded -20 F and windy. :LOL:

83 here today. Nice to play Pickleball.

Could we change the name of this thread to: "You people up north eat your hearts out" ??

And BTW, when I was out about 5:00 this morning, it was one of those cool, crisp mornings with no moon and a whole added layer of stars in the sky. The weather has been quite pleasant this year, but we won't have a lot of snow pack so I do hope we get some rain later this spring.

Could we change the name of this thread to: "You people up north eat your hearts out" ??

And BTW, when I was out about 5:00 this morning, it was one of those cool, crisp mornings with no moon and a whole added layer of stars in the sky. The weather has been quite pleasant this year, but we won't have a lot of snow pack so I do hope we get some rain later this spring.

Hey, you can make fun of us during the summer, when it is 90 and humid for 4 straight months.:D

DW and I are down here in the USVI. Third year now and we seem to always time it just right. Snow storm in the D.C. area. Our DD is watching our house and cats. 85 here in Christiansted yesterday. Southern MD winters aren't too bad considering I grew up in N WI and DW grew up in VT. But, the older we get we don't even like the whimpy MD winters. Still working so not down here 2 long (2 weeks). I forsee us being down here 2-3 months once we RE.

Next weeks forecast here in central and east Texas shows it getting down into the the single digits and snow again... This will be our second snow this year (very uncommon) and I don't recall it getting into the single digits since I've lived in this area for the past~15 yrs...

We never had this kind of cold weather around here until they started building all these wind farms up in North Texas...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

th

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom