This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 8th hole of my golf match yesterday, the sky opened on us. Felt good after all these months of no rain. Got soaked, but once the sun came back out, we dried out before the match was over.

Reactions: W2R
Here's what the NHC is showing us. Local meteorologists and TV weathermen are saying, "no worries! It's too far away for immediate concern, just keep an eye on it." OK..... :LOL:

Attachments

• tropical 08-22.jpg
    tropical 08-22.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 45
^^^^
Reminds me of my days when living in Houston... We'd usually see at least one major flood like that a year. Hope you are high and dry.

Wow!!! Hope you are safe. Getting 7" of rain while sound asleep sounds scary.

Thanks, compared to that my neighborhood is not so bad yet, but it was quite an adventure picking DW up from her Dr appointment this morning. Now just hoping this stops soon as our neighborhood is next to a creek and our common area is getting bad flooding.

DFW, how did it go the rest of the day? I'm seeing some extreme pictures, but they were probably in the worst-hi areas.

In the DFW area, Tarrant (Fort Worth) and Dallas counties got hit the worst with flooding. DFW airport and Love Field (the in-town Dallas airport) picked up record amounts of rain in 24 hours.

At my house, just 3" in 24 hours, and with the Exceptional Drought Level (the worst level), it pretty much disappeared quickly. Not a drought-breaker. Areas in a creek floodplain not too far from me, that usually flood in the spring, did not.

In North Texas, rainfall (and hail!) can be pretty "local", much more so than I ever saw in the Midwest.

I wonder how Kat is doing.

Last edited:
DFW, how did it go the rest of the day? I'm seeing some extreme pictures, but they were probably in the worst-hi areas.

DFW airport broke several records over a 24 hour period. Here is a shot of my neighborhood which is a little west of DFW airport with our common area totally flooded out. No flooding in our neighborhood streets, thank goodness.

Attachments

• EEBA5EDB-BCF3-43EA-BDEF-F7CF696522FC.jpeg
    EEBA5EDB-BCF3-43EA-BDEF-F7CF696522FC.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 33
DFW airport broke several records over a 24 hour period. Here is a shot of my neighborhood which is a little west of DFW airport with our common area totally flooded out. No flooding in our neighborhood streets, thank goodness.

Wow!! So glad your neighborhood streets are not flooding. Take care. :)

We have 100% chance of heavy thunderstorms, but it's not even drizzling yet. Same yesterday and we got no rain at all. Interesting weather!

What a great hurricane season this has been thus far. Not one hurricane or tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico yet IIRC. The NHC reports four tropical disturbances (see below), but none threatening New Orleans since they have not turned into tropical storms or hurricanes yet. I'm hoping the red one makes a sharp right turn and dissipates in the north Atlantic. We'll see. :)

Meanwhile, it's 95F and brighty sunny outside! I love it. :D One year ago today, at 3:30 AM, after not having slept in 3 days from the stress we finally began our ill-fated evacuation for Hurricane Ida. That soon ended up with me in an ICU in Arkansas with severe Covid (Delta) double pneumonia. My life is much better now.

Attachments

• NHC 2022-08-28.jpg
    NHC 2022-08-28.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 35
^^^^^
Very slow season "so far". Wishing you the best for zero storms this year. And no Covid. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
Blessedly, has been in the high 70's for a few days, but heading back into the 90's for the week. No rain in sight.
Not used to this here. DH is watering the flowers only every other day to keep the water bill reasonable. All of our trees and bushes are looking mighty sad.
Very concerning how low the lakes are in the Western part of the US

^^^^^
Very slow season "so far". Wishing you the best for zero storms this year. And no Covid. :)
Thank you!! :D
Blessedly, has been in the high 70's for a few days, but heading back into the 90's for the week. No rain in sight.
Not used to this here. DH is watering the flowers only every other day to keep the water bill reasonable. All of our trees and bushes are looking mighty sad.
Very concerning how low the lakes are in the Western part of the US

That sure is concerning, in regard to future forest fires too. :(

What a great hurricane season this has been thus far. Not one hurricane or tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico yet IIRC. The NHC reports four tropical disturbances (see below), but none threatening New Orleans since they have not turned into tropical storms or hurricanes yet. I'm hoping the red one makes a sharp right turn and dissipates in the north Atlantic. We'll see. :)

Meanwhile, it's 95F and brighty sunny outside! I love it. :D One year ago today, at 3:30 AM, after not having slept in 3 days from the stress we finally began our ill-fated evacuation for Hurricane Ida. That soon ended up with me in an ICU in Arkansas with severe Covid (Delta) double pneumonia. My life is much better now.

While sitting in the heartland, I've been watching the Eastern and Central Pacific maps. So far this year, there has been very little activity. We're building toward the peak soon. So here is hoping we can make it to Dec. with nothing significant. YMMV

While sitting in the heartland, I've been watching the Eastern and Central Pacific maps. So far this year, there has been very little activity. We're building toward the peak soon. So here is hoping we can make it to Dec. with nothing significant. YMMV

I hope so too! Good luck. :)

I'm hoping the red one makes a sharp right turn and dissipates in the north Atlantic. We'll see. :)

Looks like you "may" get your wish. At least for the turn to the right (north)... Not sure the folks in Bermuda will like this, but we will see :)

storm_91.gif

Last edited:
Looks like you "may" get your wish. At least for the turn to the right (north)... Not sure the folks in Bermuda will like this, but we will see :)

Excellent! (For us, anyway.) "Ask, and ye shall receive." (hopefully)
Now let's hope the one coming off Africa stays away from land as well. What an amazing hurricane season.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-29 152949.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-29 152949.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 34
Sounds like much of California is going through what Texas went through earlier this summer. I started to post this in the EV thread but it is already controversial enough.

Quotes below are from the attached link.

"Californians will likely be asked to ease off on the air conditioning — and anything else that consumes electricity — during the heat wave that’s expected to last through Labor Day."

"Residents will be asked to turn up their thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, avoid using dishwashers or other large appliances, and hold off on charging their electric vehicles, all during the 4-9 p.m. time frame"

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article265113124.html

Last edited:
Sounds like much of California is going through what Texas went through earlier this summer. I started to post this in the EV thread but it is already controversial enough.

Quotes below are from the attached link.

"Californians will likely be asked to ease off on the air conditioning — and anything else that consumes electricity — during the heat wave that’s expected to last through Labor Day."

"Residents will be asked to turn up their thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, avoid using dishwashers or other large appliances, and hold off on charging their electric vehicles, all during the 4-9 p.m. time frame"

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article265113124.html

I guess we will look back at California as a laboratory for Renewable Energy and Electric Vehicles. I hope it all works without too much pain.

It’s going to be excruciatingly hot in areas of California that don’t usually see that extreme heat. San Diego appears to be estimated at 90-95 which is crazy hot for them.
Many have no air conditioning because it isn’t needed.

My area in the Sacramento valley is projected to get a few days at 110.
But I’ve seen that extreme lots of times-it’s just usually July/early August not September.
And I have air conditioning and a pool. [emoji1]

We are baking at 100 which is over the norm for Reno this time of year. Going to a 5pm outdoor wedding on Saturday. Ugh!

I guess we will look back at California as a laboratory for Renewable Energy and Electric Vehicles. I hope it all works without too much pain.

As some Black Hats used to say in Army jump school: Stress builds character.

As some Black Hats used to say in Army jump school: Stress builds character.

My airborne buddy told about seeing a guy hit without chute deployment. Let us hope Cali can avoid similar stress.

My airborne buddy told about seeing a guy hit without chute deployment. Let us hope Cali can avoid similar stress.

That is why the intense training.
After exit, look up and see a big skirt opening over your head, if not, without thinking, perform the appropriate action for the existing malfunction, or, head down and pull the reserve chute's ripcord.
Once I had what is called a cigarette roll over head. After side door exit from C130. By the time I figured out the problem, my body was already doing the receovery action for that malfunction. Hence I am around to mention it.

Now return to normal weather problems. :)

That is why the intense training.
After exit, look up and see a big skirt opening over your head, if not, without thinking, perform the appropriate action for the existing malfunction, or, head down and pull the reserve chute's ripcord.
Once I had what is called a cigarette roll over head. After side door exit from C130. By the time I figured out the problem, my body was already doing the receovery action for that malfunction. Hence I am around to mention it.

Now return to normal weather problems. :)

Thank God and the military for training! Nobody does it better.

My class had a lab fire once while I was teaching a lab course at University level. I surprised the kids with my "skill" at putting it out with no damage. Even Megacorp's rigorous training was effective. Not much skill, just do what you were drilled to do. Amazing to feel your body do what you were trained - even in the face of actual danger (Solvent bottle ready to catch fire!)

No named storms in August. First time in 25 years. Only the 3rd time since 1960.

Hopefully this season will continue to be mild. Let's stay safe.

So far we have had 3 named 2022 Atlantic season storms. 1 hurricane and 2 tropical storms. I had to look them up since I only remembered one of them.:facepalm:

On May 24, 2022 NOAA said: (in the blue text below)

For the 2022 hurricane season, NOAA is forecasting a likely range of 14 to 21 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence.

On August 4, 2022 they updated their outlook and said: (in the blue text below)

NOAA’s update to the 2022 outlook — which covers the entire six-month hurricane season that ends on Nov. 30 — calls for 14-20 named storms (winds of 39 mph or greater), of which 6-10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or greater). Of those, 3-5 could become major hurricanes (winds of 111 mph or greater). NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence.

Of course September is usually the worse month for storm development but they usually drop off dramatically by mid October. Seems we have a long ways to go to meet their predictions for 2022. Stranger things have happen, I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom