Those folks who ask for money in front of supermarkets

I need to update my posts regarding panhandling on the streets of Tampa and Hillsborough County. Those district officials recently banned panhandling of any kind except for on Sunday. However, the selling of newspapers has always been on the books as being legit. Now, on top of the local papers being OK to sell on the streets, the "homeless" have a paper of their own that will permit the selling or "panhandling" on the streets. Interesting to see where this will go. Instead of begging, they are "selling".

Admit it, you just like playing the brash Noo Yawker. It is your inner freebird.
Of course I do. ;)

However, in this situation, I was a female all by myself in a large city, with a rapidly approaching person of the male gender. My perimeter warning flags went right up and I went into reactive offense mode. Can you blame me? :cool:

This is November and Thanksgiving is around the corner. I hope all of you would open your hearts and give a little to either the Salvation Army, a kitchen you know of that serves dinners to the homeless on Thanksgiving, or churches that offer to feed them. They are all looking for money for Thanksgiving Dinners.

We have pensions, 401k's, etc. that we can rely on. Whatever the reason... drugs, drinking, losing a job and never getting back to the workforce, possibly no family left, these people are in a situation that isn't as easy to get out of as quitting a job. They do appreciate the meals. A church in my major city was on television this morning showing and interviewing the people they were feeding. It's open door and anyone can walk in. The people said they really appreciate it and they know it is one meal they can rely on weekly even if they have to eat sparingly during the week.

This past weekend I went inside Wendy's to get a coffee. We were on our way to visit our son/grandson. A lady asked if I was going to the supermarket(it's across the xway). I didn't know what to say because maybe her family dropped her off there while they went shopping, but I said yes. So of course she said she was looking for a ride. You should have seen the look on hubbys face when I opened the back door and let her in.

heirloom said:
This past weekend I went inside Wendy's to get a coffee. We were on our way to visit our son/grandson. A lady asked if I was going to the supermarket(it's across the xway). I didn't know what to say because maybe her family dropped her off there while they went shopping, but I said yes. So of course she said she was looking for a ride. You should have seen the look on hubbys face when I opened the back door and let her in.
You have a good heart and will be blessed. In addition to being generous, BE WISE.

I've read of this before around the Chicago area (Oak Park is a suburb that borders Chicago, known for several Frank Lloyd Wright homes and as the birthplace of Earnest Hemingway):

Oak Park panhandlers: Oak Park promotes card instead of cash for panhandlers - chicagotribune.com

Business leaders and law enforcement officials in the village are asking shoppers to refrain from giving cash to panhandlers and instead offer them a card with information about getting help from local charities.

The "palm card" is one idea being advanced to combat panhandling .... with the ultimate goal of either getting them help ...

"I see people all the time giving money to panhandlers. They probably feel like they are doing the right thing, but more often than not; it isn't the right thing, and it only exacerbates the problem" said Pat Zubak, executive director of Downtown Oak Park.

Organizers said they want people instead to give money to charities that help the homeless instead of giving cash to panhandlers, who might spend it on alcohol or drugs. ... The cards will have contact information for local services — such as the PADS homeless shelter and the Walk-In Ministry at First United Church of Oak Park.

Community policing Sgt. Dave Jacobson said he believes panhandling is a problem but "not an epidemic." He said the department's goal is to provide resources, not lock up people in need. ...We want to help these people."

I'm surprised at the number of posters who say they give to panhandlers 'because they can'. Seems the professionals are saying it isn't the right thing to do, it may do more harm than good. And there are better alternatives.

But I hope the cards are bio-degradable, I bet a lot will be tossed on the street.

-ERD50

I've read of this before around the Chicago area (Oak Park is a suburb that borders Chicago, known for several Frank Lloyd Wright homes and as the birthplace of Earnest Hemingway):

Oak Park panhandlers: Oak Park promotes card instead of cash for panhandlers - chicagotribune.com

I'm surprised at the number of posters who say they give to panhandlers 'because they can'. Seems the professionals are saying it isn't the right thing to do, it may do more harm than good. And there are better alternatives.

But I hope the cards are bio-degradable, I bet a lot will be tossed on the street.

-ERD50
Do you think these panhandlers don't know about all these charities? Their lives are medium stinky tohorrible; I imagine it feels good to have a little cash from time to time. Clarly Big Brother does not approve, but that doesn't mean that it is a bad thing.

Ha

Do you think these panhandlers don't know about all these charities? Their lives are medium stinky tohorrible; I imagine it feels good to have a little cash from time to time. Clarly Big Brother does not approve, but that doesn't mean that it is a bad thing.

Ha

I agree that the cards themselves are kinda dumb. But the point is that this discourages the scammers, and is the cash in hand really helping them more than using the services that are provided? The cash in hand may keep them away from the services.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom