To Those Who Value Peace & Quiet

Mr. Corleone: Your view is fabulous. I would not give it up either. I have no suggestions to add to help you cope with the noise level, but I do have a thought.

I don't like change. I resent being forced to accept a new reality that I may not have chosen. Since you have lived there so long in relative quiet, I wonder if it is the "change" in environment that provokes you most, rather than just the noise.

I would be angry and resent the change you describe. This is NOT the way it has ever been, and since the familiar is inherently correct, this is just wrong. I do not want others not of my choosing living inside of my perceived space.

I hope that as time goes by the noise will abate, and your space will become familiar and comforting again.

Last edited:
If I have my doors and windows shut, and can still hear someone - that person is "invading" my space, which is a real issue for me and makes me totally and completely nuts.

I completely agree. Take any steps necessary to stop the noise. Dealing with that long-term is no way to live.

It didn't occur to me until now to mention it but - I have tinnitus. I wonder if that's what's making me hyper-sensitive to noise that's not in my control. Maybe I should look into something that would mask the tinnitus noise and see if that makes things better.

Although, the lack of consideration of others is what really grates on my nerves. Especially since my wife and I were raised to be considerate people. <shrug>

Just thinking "out loud".

I'm the same way. A noise that is produced in an inconsiderate way is much more bothersome to me than a "legitimate" noise of similar volume.

I notice there seems to be an assignment of reason as to why the noise, and it's not helpful, more likely it's upsetting.

Here we live in a house, and 2 backyards over, a large family has gatherings about every week or two.
I can easily hear them talking, these days folks have to sit 6-10 ft apart so they have to talk loud.
They also play music and it's not my type of music, and turn on floodlights when it gets dark.
They don't break any laws, and are minding their own business, so why should I complain, even if it bugged me the first time.

I notice when inside my home, with the radio or tv on, I cannot hear them.

For about 5 years we had the neighbor son playing basketball every day. Those bouncing balls really do carry the sound across the street and through a house. The kid grew up and moved away.

Maybe it's just a local thing but here we have a noise ordinance that outlaws any amplified musical device outdooors. I would not tolerate someone doing that within earshot of my house. If I can hear it with my doors and windows closed then it's too loud and will be dealt with.

Although, the lack of consideration of others is what really grates on my nerves. Especially since my wife and I were raised to be considerate people. <shrug>

As Randy Jackson (of American Idol) would say.."ten thousand million, billion YESSES to that!"

Totally agree. Wife and I strive to be very considerate people. We'll even sit on our deck in the morning (one of the only quiet times as others are still asleep) and talk VERY, VERY quietly so as to not disturb anyone else.

Neighbors? Could apparently give a rat's patookie who they are disturbing. One guy (younger Dentist) 2 houses down put in a Gazeebo that we (graciously) allowed him to have, as it was disallowed by the HOA and we had to approve. Little did we know that he'd outfit said Gazeebo WITH AN **OUTDOOR** SOUND SYSTEM. So, I'm on our deck trying to BBQ..and the Gazeebo sound system is going..and it really tweaks me off, cuz it doesn't appear he CARES ONE BIT. (I'd like to remind him..hey, jerk..we graciously allowed you to build that Gazeebo..) My neighbor in-between us got so tweaked off by it and other general "I don't care one bit about your peace and quiet" from the Dentist that he sold his house and moved out). Ditto neighbor immediately adjacent to us on the other side..when the boys were growing up, they'd scream, yell, and generally act like they were set on fire cursing up a storm while playing basketball. TOTALLY not thinking of anyone else. But, hey - they're "kids" (albeit, almost adults). You'd THINK they "might" be a LITTLE considerate, but...nope.

Last edited:
For about 5 years we had the neighbor son playing basketball every day. Those bouncing balls really do carry the sound across the street and through a house. The kid grew up and moved away.

Basketball is THE. WORST. Try having a hoop immediately adjacent and about 15 feet from the home office where you work(ed) and were on conference calls all day. Good times!

Even better when they play at 10 PM or later at night and you listen not only to the low frequency bouncing but adolescent screaming cursing that goes along with it - IN YOUR OWN BEDROOM. I wanted to rip that thing down with my bare hands more times than I can count..

If noise starts to grate on my nerves, I either play some music to drown out the noise, use a fan to create some white noise, or wear noise-canceling headphones.

I think I bought every model of noise cancelling headphones ever made. At least they provide "some" relief.

I even went as far as to build a $30,000 ish sound-isolated Theater room to have a place to get away from all the damned noise (including the Basketball).

Good times, living in a sub.

Owned a condo in a FL high rise for 32 years, no noise problems, even with renters occupying some units....

Until a year or so ago, upstairs neighbors (elderly couple, seldom there) were never a problem, but their adult daughter (recently divorced, with a toddler) moved into their place. So what toy does she give her kid to play with on the tile floor above our heads? A golf ball. Worse than the Chinese water torture. So, I went up to politely ask her if she could possibly substitute a softer ball. She looked at me like I was from another planet. We aren't there all that often, and fortunately, she moved out soon thereafter.

What did the toddler do with the golf ball? They don't really bounce, do they?

A couple comments. As we get older we are less forgiving of noise. We go to bed early and any noise will keep us awake. We get up early and expect everyone else does too. Since we value quiet we are more perceptive to noise. Since we are considerate, we expect others will be too. We can't imagine making noise. When we hear younger people or kids having fun it just reminds us that those years for us are in the past. I am 70 and unfortunately I think it is just part of the journey of life. We try to be around kids (no grandkids) just to enjoy the noise. But I agree that is not off hours or not of our choosing. I guess we need to learn to cope by whatever means (white noise, headphones, tv). I will be dam*ned if I go out miserable because of noise. Life is too good and too short (not to be preaching here). I had a previous deceased boss who used to say "attitude makes the difference."

I like the white noise and the breeze of a fan when I sleep. Summer or winter, it's always on. My friend forever. Ever since I was a child and my father's snoring ripped right through the walls, my fan has comforted me.

And it always will.

I would put on your noise cancelling headphones and gaze at your beautiful view.

I am sorry that you are going through this, as I am a light sleeper. I use a noise machine, but DH's snoring still wakes me up during the night.

OP - Are the new people owners ?

If they are owners, you could sign up at various real estate offices with their name and address. Maybe they will get some mailings that will tempt them to move :D

If they are renters, perhaps they won't be there long as renters often move. Especially if someone phoned their landlord to complain about them wrecking the place :eek:

Glad to see there are other people who get that. :greetings10:

I am loving this. All these years I thought i was the only one. Everybody else seems to live to make noise and is concomitantly oblivious to every manner of uncalled for audible intrusions impositions.

I am loving this. All these years I thought i was the only one. Everybody else seems to live to make noise and is concomitantly oblivious to every manner of uncalled for audible intrusions impositions.

Considerate people everywhere - UNITE! :greetings10:

The Ahole renters across the road with two LOUD barking dogs just backed a large Uhaul truck down their driveway this morning.
I don't know whether to be ludicrous or ecstatic!

The Ahole renters across the road with two LOUD barking dogs just backed a large Uhaul truck down their driveway this morning.
I don't know whether to be ludicrous or ecstatic!

The first 5 years I lived in my current apartment, back in the early 1990s, I had some noisy neighbors upstairs. They would come home at 11:30 PM every night, moments after I turned off my lights to go to sleep, and stomp around their apartment for about an hour. Losing that sleep every night was affecting my work performance because I'd get drowsy late in the day. I complained to my co-op board and did speak once to the husband. In the last year or so, the couple became 3 when they had a little kid who also stomped around. (I think I heard them the night the wife conceived LOL!) Why they kept coming home that late every night with a cranky kid was beyond me, too.

Then, one day in 1994, I learned they were moving out soon. Soon thereafter, I heard a lot of noise, like furniture being moved around. The wife came down to my apartment to tell me they were moving out and if I had any more complaints, don't tell them about it.

I went to my piano and played, "Happy Days Are Here Again" about 10 times! :dance:

The Talking Clock

[FONT=&quot]Talking clock:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After closing time at the bar, a drunk was proudly showing off his new apartment to a couple of his friends. He led the way to his bedroom where there was a big brass gong and a mallet.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]'What's up with the big brass gong?' one of the guests asked.
'It's not a gong. It's a talking clock,' the drunk replied.
'A talking clock? Seriously?' asked his astonished friend.
'Yup,' replied the drunk.
'How's it work?' the friend asked, squinting at it.
'Watch,' the drunk replied. He picked up the mallet, gave the gong an ear-shattering pound and stepped back. .

The three stood looking at one another for a moment.......
Suddenly, someone on the other side of the wall screamed, 'You @$$hole! It's three-fifteen in the morning![/FONT]

The first 5 years I lived in my current apartment, back in the early 1990s, I had some noisy neighbors upstairs. They would come home at 11:30 PM every night, moments after I turned off my lights to go to sleep, and stomp around their apartment for about an hour. Losing that sleep every night was affecting my work performance because I'd get drowsy late in the day. I complained to my co-op board and did speak once to the husband. In the last year or so, the couple became 3 when they had a little kid who also stomped around. (I think I heard them the night the wife conceived LOL!) Why they kept coming home that late every night with a cranky kid was beyond me, too.

Then, one day in 1994, I learned they were moving out soon. Soon thereafter, I heard a lot of noise, like furniture being moved around. The wife came down to my apartment to tell me they were moving out and if I had any more complaints, don't tell them about it.

I went to my piano and played, "Happy Days Are Here Again" about 10 times! :dance:
Yeah, I was using the ding, dong song substituting jerks for witch.
If the new tenants are as bad or worse, I'm outta here - hence the mixed emotions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom