Vote for Best (or Worst) State in USA

ex-Jarhead said:
Dog: The Sierras in Northeast Calif.

You must live Chico or Davis (on the way to Rocklin and then to Placerville), my man ;) Rocklin, El Dorado Hills are nice areas if you could stand the heat.

As for Texas, lets just say the natives need to get out and see the rest of the country They think the rest of the US is another country and a third world one at that.

I have experienced a lot of that sentiment whenever I meet people from TX, NY (despite having lived there) and CA. I know they are proud of their state and all but that was all I ever heard. Rarely did they care to know about other places.

Ex-Jarhead, I live in a place that fits all of that! Fly Rod & Reel magazine ranks my town as the #3 fly fishing retirement town in the nation.

wildcat said:
I have experienced a lot of that sentiment whenever I meet people from TX, NY (despite having lived there) and CA. I know they are proud of their state and all but that was all I ever heard. Rarely did they care to know about other places.

There are other places? :eek: Just kidding...

If you weren't born a Texan, it is definitely an acquired taste. There are lots of nice states, and I've visited most and actually lived for a while in some. My recommendation is that you avoid Texas entirely with the exception of an occasional visit to see a World Championship NBA team or where all that money you're spending on gas ends up. ;)

cube_rat said:
You must live Chico or Davis (on the way to Rocklin and then to Placerville), my man  ;)  Rocklin, El Dorado Hills are nice areas if you could stand the heat.

Cube: Davis, Rocklin, El Dorado Hills, etc. are far too crowded, and flat ;)

You're getting warm with Chico, but live in the Sierras about 2500 elevation. (One of the few uncrowded areas in the state.) I usually have the feeder streams that I fly-fish, pretty much to myself.

O.K., beings you asked, got a "blonde" joke for you. ;)

A blonde went to see a doctor and complained.
"I keep seeing spots before my eyes".
The doctor scratched his head. "Have you seen an opthamologist?"
"No, she said, "just spots".

Well, there you go kid, the price of talking to me. ;)

Your buddy, Jarhead

grumpy said:
We moved this year from Maryland to Virginia.  Today the temp was 70F so DW and I took a ride up to the Skyline Drive to see the fall foliage and have a picnic lunch.  It was spectacular.  Moving from a "blue" state to a "red" state has been a bit of a cultural adjustment but we are getting to like Virginia alot.  I am developing a new interest in the Civil War with all of the battlefields in the area.

Grumpy

Just so long as you remember who won...

justin said:
Damn yankees and your northern aggression...  :)

Oh, and remember who fired the first shot.

justin said:
Damn yankees and your northern aggression...  :)

But the south will rise again, this time with a more progressive leader!

Attachments

• dean_rebel[1].jpg
    dean_rebel[1].jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 129
  • dean_rebel[1].jpg_thumb
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
Dean's Rebel yell --- "YYYYYYYYYYYYEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Oh, and remember who fired the first shot.

1st state to leave the union too...John C. Calhoun & S Carolina

Cut-Throat said:
Hey! - I know that Magazine! - One of my best friends was Fly Rod and Reel 'Guide of the Year'!

So what town do you live in? :) And do you have a spare room? 8)

Outside of State College, PA. Yes, we have spare rooms :D

yelnad said:
Outside of State College, PA. Yes, we have spare rooms  :D

Just had a friend return from that area about 2 months ago. He loved it! - He fished the Letort, Spruce Creek, yellow breeches. I am putting this area on my ever expanding list of places to visit! 8)

I have to say I haven't visited all that many states, but I am partial to New England and even upstate New York...but of the states I have traveled, Florida absolutely needs to be the worst...there are probably nice places in FLA, but I haven't seen any of them...all the rest is miles of shopping/strip-malls, housing developments and theme-parks...yeeech! Why this is one of the fastest growing states is beyond me...but I am glad "they" are all moving there. ("They" being the kind of people that want to live in "that" kind of place!).

I would shoot myself if I had to live in a little gated community on my 1/8 acre lot down there for more than 2 weeks....

farmerEd said:
I have to say I haven't visited all that many states, but I am partial to New England and even upstate New York...but of the states I have traveled, Florida absolutely needs to be the worst.

Yep, I love the warm water and boating-sailing in FL, but just not worth fighting the crowds and hurricanes to live there. However a monthly Jan visit to Marathon would work nicely. We like New England too but too short a summer season and just too pricy on the water. NC coast (Albemarle Sound) would be the perfect balance for us. Hurricanes still a factor but easier to run from :D

Worst State (unless you've lived there all your life): Long Island. It's not really a state, it's a separate country!

Virginia has a lot to offer - the coast, the mountains, the big city (northern virginia-DC suburbs), lots of history, not too cold in winter, not too hot in summer AND the #3 (although we think #1) college football team - GO HOKIES!

becca said:
Virginia has a lot to offer - the coast, the mountains, the big city (northern virginia-DC suburbs), lots of history, not too cold in winter, not too hot in summer AND the #3 (although we think #1) college football team - GO HOKIES!

Sounds like NC, except for the football team.   :(

HH

The ten worst states...for car/deer collisions :) are:

Attachments

• map_deer.gif
    map_deer.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 95
  • map_deer.gif_thumb
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
REWahoo! said:
The ten worst states...for car/deer collisions  :) are:
How do they grasp the steering wheel, let alone handle a clutch?

I guess this is why friends don't let deer friends drive drunk.

REWahoo! said:
The ten worst states...for car/deer collisions :) are:

"Honey, I've got bad news and good news."

"The bad news is I hit a deer and tore up the bumper"

"The good news is I picked up the deer, and we'll be having venison all winter!"

"Honey, I've got bad news and good news."

"The bad news is I hit a deer and tore up the bumper"

"The good news is I picked up the deer, and we'll be having venison all winter!"

Tennessee actually allows drivers to take home roadkills without having to tag 'em. I imagine the country roads look like demolition derbies during the fall hunting season.

The best thing about fresh, car-killed deer is that you don't have to worry about biting down on some buckshot.

The best thing about fresh, car-killed deer is that you don't have to worry about biting down on some buckshot.

They are not free.. the cost is the deductable on your auto insurance.

Hardly a week goes by when the local paper doesn't report at least one collision with a deer in my town of ~21,000.  Bucks have been known to challange a car during rutting season in rural areas.

We hit a big 8 point buck in Tennessee two weeks ago... it hit the car above the bumper so there was major damage and the air bags deployed. The car was not drivable so we had to get a rental to get back to Wisconsin. The State Trooper asked if we wanted to take the deer...yeh, right... hit at 70mph, I don't think so!

Gonzo

Back
Top Bottom