What have you read recently?

I didn't read the book but I read a summary. I get what he's saying. I think more in terms of accomplishments which are past tense. I prefer not to set myself up for failure by setting goals. I do what I enjoy at least in ER. It's the process that's fun. Then if you've achieved something, that's a win. I like getting an "A" for effort :).

Rianne, he specifically argues against setting goals. At least, he recommends using systems. E.g. if your goal is to lose weight, you are better off having a system that says "ever day I am going to do something (run, walk, go to gym) to reach that goal". This may sound like a distinction without a difference, but I did not see it that way. There are many other ideas in the book as well, such as about overcoming anxiety, etc. Anyway, I found it very true, even though I am past the age where I could put it to use in building my career.

i’ve started reading the Anna Pigeon mysteries by Nevada Barr, finishing the first one, “Track of the Cat.” For fans of Joe Picket, these books are an interesting contrast featuring a female ranger for the U.S. Parks service.

I just finished Determined: A Science of Life without Free Will by Robert Sapolsky. A neurobiological take of why we do what we do. It made me think about the hows and whys of my own actions, and that of others. I recommend the book.

Dr. Sapolsky is a neuroendocrinology researcher and a professor at Stanford.

Just finished:The Blue Machine, How The Ocean Works by Helen Czerski.
Very good science writer IMO.
Now started : James, by Percival Everett.

The Anglo-Saxons: A History of the Beginnings of England: 400 – 1066
by Marc Morris

I found this to be extremely enlightening and I really enjoyed learning about what was going on in the British Isles before the Norman Conquest.

Sixteen hundred years ago Britain left the Roman Empire and swiftly fell into ruin. Grand cities and luxurious villas were deserted and left to crumble, and civil society collapsed into chaos. Into this violent and unstable world came foreign invaders from across the sea, and established themselves as its new masters.

The Anglo-Saxons traces the turbulent history of these people across the next six centuries. It explains how their earliest rulers fought relentlessly against each other for glory and supremacy, and then were almost destroyed by the onslaught of the vikings. It explores how they abandoned their old gods for Christianity, established hundreds of churches and created dazzlingly intricate works of art. It charts the revival of towns and trade, and the origins of a familiar landscape of shires, boroughs and bishoprics. It is a tale of famous figures like King Offa, Alfred the Great and Edward the Confessor, but also features a host of lesser known characters - ambitious queens, revolutionary saints, intolerant monks and grasping nobles. Through their remarkable careers we see how a new society, a new culture and a single unified nation came into being.

I just finished Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson. It is a thriller/meta-mystery with a narrator who owns a mystery bookstore, writes a blog about mystery books, and becomes entangled in a string of murders that may have been inspired by one of his blog posts. It succeeded in keeping me off-balance.

A while back I finished Ann Patchett's excellent collection of essays These Precious Days.

There have been many others but I'll only mention those that I recommend.

Space Oddities by Harry Cliff
Experimental physicist at CERN and acclaimed science presenter Harry Cliff offers an eye-opening account of the inexplicable phenomena that science has only recently glimpsed, and that could transform our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality.

This is a great new book about many of the unexplained anomalies that physicists are scratching their heads about. Despite the deep dive into both particle physics and cosmology, I found it very readable and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom