What have you read recently?

"The Nature of Oaks" by Doug Tallamy. (non-fiction)

Tallamy is one of our best nature writers. This book covers the life cycle of this most keystone of North American trees. Not just the trees themselves, but all the other plant and animal species that depend on oaks. Is is structured in a month-by-month format, which I really enjoyed.

Ad Astra. It's a series of short SciFi stories written by Jack Campbell, the fellow who wrote The Lost Fleet series of books. I found it entertaining and interesting.

If you enjoy SciFi, I recommend his series - The Lost Fleet. Very good.

Jesus and John Wayne. It is about the evangelical movement and politics.

Fast read.

I lost the thread when we switched over here. I don't know if it's already been mentioned but Michael Lewis' (Moneyball, Big Short...) latest book, focusing in on the leadup to the pandemic, is a must read. The Premonition is a blistering indictment of the US health care system, the CDC, and bureaucratic institutions at all levels. At the same time it heaps well deserved praise on heroes struggling to do right within and outside of those institutions. There is almost nothing about Trump in this book - [Mod Edit] But there are lots of villains and action heroes. Interestingly, George W Bush performs well in this arena.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to read the much praised, "In the Garden of the Beasts" by Erik Larson, a non-fiction historical book which is supposed to chronicle the life of William E. Dodd, the US Ambassador to Germany, appointed in June 1933. The book promises to describe what it was like to be an American living under Hitler's rule and the rise of Nazism in Germany.

So far, though, the book is mostly about the life and times of his party-girl daughter Martha, and mostly seems to be gossip. How could the author know conversations between Martha and her numerous lovers? Indeed, the author frequently tells us what Martha is thinking. Incredibly, at one point Martha begins dating Rudolf Diels, the head of the Gestapo! Apparently, he was a great guy!

The story so far is that the Nazi Stormtroopers are intimidating Jews and Martha doesn't believe it. Ambassador Dodd seems skeptical. This is the main thrust of the book so far--Jews are starting to feel the brunt of the Hitler regime's rage and nobody will believe the stories. Throw in some stories about the parties that Martha attends and the men she beds and throws away, and there is your book. Repeat every chapter. I am 34% into the book and doubt I will continue.

Erik Larson is a highly praised author of historical books. I'm just not seeing the reason for the praise. He made a couple of factual blunders early on in the book and the account he's providing regarding the Dodd's life has got to be mostly conjecture and embellishment.

Just finished The Red Lotus by Chris Bohjalian. It’s a light weight thriller about bio-weapons. Fun read if you like the genre.

Just finished The Red Lotus by Chris Bohjalian. It’s a light weight thriller about bio-weapons. Fun read if you like the genre.

Aaah yes. Just a little light read about bio-weapons. A casual saunter through the landscape of large scale killing. A breezy and inoffensive account of mass murder :LOL:

Sorry. Just having fun :D

Aaah yes. Just a little light read about bio-weapons. A casual saunter through the landscape of large scale killing. A breezy and inoffensive account of mass murder :LOL:

Sorry. Just having fun :D

I ask myself often nowadays: why does so much of our literature and entertainment revolve around threats and terrifying moments? Has it always been this way?

I am guilty of seeking this sort of thing out too.

I ask myself often nowadays: why does so much of our literature and entertainment revolve around threats and terrifying moments? Has it always been this way?

I am guilty of seeking this sort of thing out too.

I think it has always been this way. It's part of human nature. Even as kids, we enjoy games that involve being scared.

Just finished Thomas Cahill's "How the Irish Saved Civilization".

Long story short, the Irish monks sheltered in monasteries on the rocky western edges of Ireland, became expert and studious scribes who loved to make copies of books and build libraries.

Book also gives an account of the downfall of the Roman empire as a prelude, then the establishment of the Irish monasteries. This book is one of four Cahill has written on some of the "hinge points" of western civilization.

Long story short, the Irish monks sheltered in monasteries on the rocky western edges of Ireland, became expert and studious scribes who loved to make copies of books and build libraries.

Book also gives an account of the downfall of the Roman empire as a prelude, then the establishment of the Irish monasteries. This book is one of four Cahill has written on some of the "hinge points" of western civilization.
That one got passed around my large Irish family a few decades back. It is quite good.

I am about 2/3 of the way through "Rock Me On The Water," by Ron Brownstein, CNN national affairs analyst and former columnist for the LA Times. He describes the many cultural forces which converged in Los Angeles in 1974 to make that year a turning point in America. Those forces included television, led by Norman Lear and CBS (All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, MASH), the movies (Chinatown, Shampoo), music (the rise of The Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne), and politics (the flaky Jerry Brown becoming California governor the first time).

Each chapter is one month in 1974 and covers one of these topics, rotating around. I was only 11 years old in 1974, so it was only the TV part I knew about at the time. It's a long read, nearly 400 pages, but a good one.

I just finished “Anxious People” by Fredrik Backman. I’d previously read 2 of his other books which I enjoyed a lot: “A Man Called Ove” and “Beartown”.

I won’t say too much to avoid spoilers, but the story revolves around a group of people in a slightly comical hostage situation. This latest book was a good read, but would rank below the other 2 if I were ordering them.

"Artemis" by Andy Weir. The second novel by the author of "The Martian".

"Artemis" is as bad as "The Martian" was great. It's stunning that such a terrible story could be written by the same person as "The Martian."

Story is set on earth's first moon colony and follows a 26 year old woman named Jasmine ("Jazz"), an unmotivated, self-described genius that uses her small package delivery service to hide her illegal smuggling activities. She's a two bit criminal going nowhere in life.

The dialogue is atrocious. Jazz speaks in the voice of a teenaged boy. I had to keep reminding myself the main character was a woman in her mid-20's. She talks about her boobs at least a half dozen times, frequently brags about her promiscuity, and interjects "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" quotes and references into her conversations. One of her scientist friends asks her to test his latest invention--a used condom sterilizer. You see, reusing condoms will save on resources. Because we all know how massive and heavy condoms are and how expensive it is to put them on a rocket and bring them to the moon. One of the running jokes in the story is the scientist constantly asking Jazz to test out his invention because he needs real world data on how effective it is at sterilizing condoms. Basically, "Have you gotten laid yet? Why not? It's been almost a week."
"Hardy-har-har." <----(actual line used by Jazz in the book. C'mon, lots of 26 year old women use phrases like this, especially 100 years in the future.)

The plot is uninspired and revolves around corporate espionage and sabotage. Naturally Jazz is an expert at anything she tries and she gets hired by a multi-millionaire to carry out his plan to corner the oxygen market on the moon. Her skill set involves welding. Yes, welding. There is a lot of welding in this book. Welding, welding, welding. Oh, and I bet you didn't know the moon has one-sixth the gravity of earth. What, you did? Well, the author must think we're stupid because he brings it up a gazillion times.

I tortured myself and finished the book. Just shaking my head at how bad this thing is.

Last edited:
"Artemis" by Andy Weir. The second novel by the author of "The Martian".

"Artemis" is as bad as "The Martian" was great. It's stunning that such a terrible story could be written by the same person as "The Martian."

-snip-
I tortured myself and finished the book. Just shaking my head at how bad this thing is.

But wait! I loved The Martian and hated Artemis also.

His third, Project Hail Mary, is here! Most of it is almost as good as The Martian. I really liked it!

His third, Project Hail Mary, is here! Most of it is almost as good as The Martian. I really liked it!
I also liked Hail Mary and disliked Artemis. Hail Mary is going to be a movie staring Ryan Gosling.

Quiet by Susan Cain.

I finally got around to reading this book, which I've been meaning to do for a long time. It has been recommended frequently on this forum. I enjoyed it very much - I saw myself on almost every page, and it explained why my w#rk style so often felt completely at odds with 99% of the folks I w#rked with. (1000% INTJ)

Life Gets Better - The Unexpected Pleasures of Growing Older by Wendy Lustbader.

Very insightful book, written by a social worker who w#rked with elderly populations for decades, many of whom were nearing the end of their lives. She also w#rked (w#rks?) as a professor specializing in issues of aging.

"As we get older, Lustbader asserts, we gain self-knowledge, confidence, and an increasing capacity to be true to ourselves."

I also liked Hail Mary and disliked Artemis. Hail Mary is going to be a movie staring Ryan Gosling.

That's encouraging to hear. I'll have to check out Hail Mary. Maybe get it when it goes on sale.

Still can't believe how incredibly bad "Artemis" was... Here is a sample:

"My plan was working! I giggled like a little girl. Hey, I'm a girl, so I'm allowed. And besides, no one was watching. I pulled an aluminum stock rod from the duffel, climbed to the top of the harvester, and held it outward like a sword. "'Onward, mighty steed!'"

[This is a 26 year old woman?!]

Great review. I completely agree.

I also want to add that, IMO, his just released “Project Hail Mary” is just as big a bust. In fact, while I was able to finish “Artemis”, I gave up on “Project Hail Mary” and returned it to the library early.

I’ve had this book for many years, but have yet to read it.

It sounds like Mr Cahill is trying to refute the maxim that God gave the Irish whisky to keep them from conquering the world. :D

Quiet by Susan Cain.

I finally got around to reading this book, which I've been meaning to do for a long time. It has been recommended frequently on this forum. I enjoyed it very much - I saw myself on almost every page, and it explained why my w#rk style so often felt completely at odds with 99% of the folks I w#rked with. (1000% INTJ)
A life changing book for me. After reading it, I realized I was not a freak.

I still remember management reviews encouraging me to engage more. It doesn’t matter whether you actually engage, just fake it it so your “numbers” go up. After reading this book, I was fine responding “ No input from xxxx, no response from me”.

A life changing book for me. After reading it, I realized I was not a freak.

I still remember management reviews encouraging me to engage more. It doesn’t matter whether you actually engage, just fake it it so your “numbers” go up. After reading this book, I was fine responding “ No input from xxxx, no response from me”.

Introverts Unite (separately, and alone!) :D:LOL:

Great review. I completely agree.

I also want to add that, IMO, his just released “Project Hail Mary” is just as big a bust. In fact, while I was able to finish “Artemis”, I gave up on “Project Hail Mary” and returned it to the library early.
Probably good for people to get both negative and positive reviews. I enjoyed Project Hail Mary but can see why some would reject it. It's another rif on the Martian theme. McGuiver hero coupled with more improbable science. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. Not so with Artemis. Several friends reacted the same way.

Back
Top Bottom