Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona View Post
Yes, I enjoyed it, too. I like Towles’ writing style. Rules of Civility was not quite as engrossing a story as A Gentleman in Moscow, but it was still very good!

Edited to add: I just discovered the author Guy Gavriel Kay and really like his historical epics that are set in a fictional world very like ours. Just finished The Lions of Al-Rassan and liked it a lot. It was based on the reconquista of Spain.
Oh yes, A Gentleman in Moscow. What a charming and delightful story, masterfully done in the ending!!! Still thinking about it after 6 month later
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2021, 06:17 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Our library has several in Ebook form.
Thanks...being thrift store/library used bookshop and a couple of the corner 'book boxes' that are hereabouts, quasi aficionados, we've accumulated quite a stack of books yet unread, but we are currently both finishing up a David Downing, (who, if you haven't already read his works, we do enjoy), on our e-readers.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #23
gone traveling

Author C. J. Box, Joe Pickett series. Modern day westerns about a Wyoming game warden, his family, his multiple times married mother-in-law Missy, and his somewhat sketchy some-time "I've got your back" friend Nate Romanowski master falconer. I think Box is now up to 20 Joe Pickett novels with 21 due out next month or so. Read almost all of them so far, and everyone has been a page-turner. Plus lots of geography lessons and vivid scenery descriptions of Wyoming.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Thanks...being thrift store/library used bookshop and a couple of the corner 'book boxes' that are hereabouts, quasi aficionados, we've accumulated quite a stack of books yet unread, but we are currently both finishing up a David Downing, (who, if you haven't already read his works, we do enjoy), on our e-readers.
Thanks, it turns out I read Zoo Station in 2016 and liked it. I'll try more in the "station series" with John Russell link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Downing
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Lsbcal: If you haven't read Alan Furst I think you might enjoy his work:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/49941.Alan_Furst

Old 01-27-2021, 09:07 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Lsbcal: If you haven't read Alan Furst I think you might enjoy his work:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/49941.Alan_Furst
Yes, I've read his work. Enjoyed his early works but not so much his recent ones.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:43 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Author C. J. Box, Joe Pickett series. Modern day westerns about a Wyoming game warden, his family, his multiple times married mother-in-law Missy, and his somewhat sketchy some-time "I've got your back" friend Nate Romanowski master falconer. I think Box is now up to 20 Joe Pickett novels with 21 due out next month or so. Read almost all of them so far, and everyone has been a page-turner. Plus lots of geography lessons and vivid scenery descriptions of Wyoming.

I loved this series. Such fun. ‘Things are about to get western’.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:23 PM   #28
gone traveling

MuirWannabe. Box has also written five or so in a new series about private detective Cassie Dewell. Just picked up four of them. Will soon get into that series. Box (or his publisher) called them the "Highway Quartet" at first but now there are five!
Old 02-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just finished Louise Penny's latest Gamache mystery titled "All the Devils are Here". It was excellent. Unlike all of the previous Gamache mysteries, this one is not set in Quebec. Rather, it's set in Paris. She got all of the little details about Paris correct.

I also read and enjoyed "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. The book is set in a small town in England in 1950, and the sleuth is a smart-ass and very clever chemistry-obsessed 11 year old girl name Flavia de Luce. After I finished the book, I was surprised to read that the first-time author is Canadian, not English, and was written when he was about 70 years old. There is also an interesting connection to Louise Penny.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:53 PM   #30

I read Hidden Valley Road, a nonfiction book about a Colorado family with 12 children, 6 of whom were diagnosed with Schizophrenia. Their family was the basis of much research on the disease. It’s a tragic, but fascinating book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50088631
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:08 PM   #31
gone traveling

Halfway through "Long Range" by CJ Box.

Another page turner, of the many page turners in Box's Joe Pickett series.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
Forty Autumns the true story about German family and the iron curtain. Very interesting reading...

https://www.amazon.com/Forty-Autumns...=forty+&sr=8-1
Thanks! Ordered this from our library today. First in line so I should have it by tomorrow.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently reading The Last Libertines by Benedetta Craveri which is about the lives of 7 youthful aristocrats prior to and during the French Revolution.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Scott Turow's Testimony:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/b...ott-turow.html

Quote:
The Bosnian war and its aftermath is an excellent period in which to set a legal thriller because, more than 20 years after the end of that messy conflict, it is still unclear exactly who was responsible for doing what to whom. The war remains one of the bloodiest whodunits of 21st-century international relations.

The breakup of Yugoslavia, and the declaration of independence by the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1992, sparked interethnic carnage in which Bosnian Serbs, Croats and Muslims butchered one another and were murdered with a brutality and complexity that horrified and baffled the outside world in equal measure. At least 100,000 people were killed, many by systematic “ethnic cleansing.”
Having first been to/through Tito's Yugoslavia in 1963, then through by train in the opposite direction in 1965, by rented car in the late 1980s....plus subsequent visits.....and encountering numerous Roma, (especially in Sighișoara, Romania), I found the book quite enthralling.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Hobbit on my Retirement kindle i received. Hadn't read since high school, So what better way then to go back in time...
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:39 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm rereading the All Creatures Great and Small book series while watching the new Masterpiece Theater production under that title.
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracelsus View Post
I'm rereading the All Creatures Great and Small book series while watching the new Masterpiece Theater production under that title.
Acorn TV shows The Yorkshire Vet which is the real life thing that is set in the same village as the fictional story. See https://acorn.tv/yorkshirevet/
Old 02-10-2021, 01:10 AM   #38

I’m now reading The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah. It’s about a family during the dust bowl. So far, I like it very much. It’s one of her better books.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #39

I have been working my way steadily through two authors works

- Ann Cleeves
- Peter Robinson
Both write murder mystery books.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #40
gone traveling

History of an Economic Hitman, by John Perkins.

Quite telling of the USA/worlds economic escapades. Seems genuine.

Good luck & Best wishes...
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote