What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

People (usually older people) who make no attempt to keep up with technology... Don't just sit in front of the screen and cry help!

I had people do this to me at work. I finally started saying “show me in your help menu what you’ve already tried?” Requests started declining quick. :LOL:

I get slightly peeved at people in the neighborhood who light fireworks when I am trying to sleep. This year it went on until 12:30am, last year 2am.

Are there any neighborhoods where people don't light fireworks late, or not at all? I wonder what it must be like to live there.

Where we moved this past year it is crazy with fireworks all summer and fall and it makes me nuts!

Ok technically this was from 2 days ago but....

Tuna cans that only contain enough tuna for about 1/1/2 to 1 3/4 sandwiches.
I feel like I am always trying to stretch it out to fill up 2 full sandwiches.
The 4 oz can needs to be 5oz! !!!!!!

I suppose I could just find smaller slices of bread.
Could pair this with the 12 oz box of what used to be 1 pound of pasta and follow it up with some of that nice half gallon now 1 1/2 quart container of ice cream for dessert. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Hidden inflation. I guess that's the real pet peeve for me right now.:mad:

The cans used to hold 6 ounces.... now 5 IIRC...

But, the 1 lb bag of reeses and other candy that has shrunk over the years to now about 11 oz or so... and going down to 10 on holidays...

Ah, the "hot dog" conundrum. Pack of hot dogs? 10. Pack of hot dog buns? 8. Bastards!

Or chip bags that are 3/4 air and 1/4 busted up crumbs.

That is why you buy the bigger dogs that are 8 in a pack!!! At least someone got smart...

Parking

My entire neighborhood has 2-3 car garages and people still constantly park on the street on both sides of the road blocking coming and going, usually because they just clutter garage with crap. Very small peeve ofc given much bigger things going on, but highly annoying and somewhat unsafe when running outside and/or kids playing

It is a pet peeve thread. No apologies necessary! ;)

Just get out real early and pop your own fireworks. In front of their house, preferably on a work day. hahahahaha (evil laughter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin944 View Post
I get slightly peeved at people in the neighborhood who light fireworks when I am trying to sleep. This year it went on until 12:30am, last year 2am.

Are there any neighborhoods where people don't light fireworks late, or not at all? I wonder what it must be like to live there.
Where we moved this past year it is crazy with fireworks all summer and fall and it makes me nuts!

ASL

Relocated....its the most travel I've done in a while:

I don't sign, and currently don't know anyone who does, but I have in days gone by had some passing exposure to it. The conversations I witnessed seemed to be straightforward hand signals, but nowadays the background 'signers' appear to be participating in inebriated games of charades, complete with overacted facial (or should it be 'farcical') expressions.

Since Close Captioning is readily available, it just makes me wonder if the pols are using the clowns to distract, rather than inform, the audience.

I took ASL classes to communicate with my sister and her friends. I did the same as what non-ASL speakers do and signed with no or slight facial expressions. All of us students did. it was sad and depressing. ha! facial expressions are very important to ASL communicators. unlike us, who read and hear discrete words, they rely on far more stimuli to communicate, one of them being facial expressions. it's as if they act out the story that they are communicating. when "acting" becomes your primary method of communication then, yes, it will become heightened and may appear farcical to us. an analogy might be how us americans are louder and more animated that someone from england, let's say. i would further venture to say that on tv the expressions necessarily have to become even more pronounced because, as an ASL speaker, you are not there to closely see minor facial gestures.

The word "Curated". Trying to attach importance to a selection of items or ideas that on any given day are probably not that special. I can only imagine if K-Mart was still a thing they would switch from the "Blue Light Special" to "For the next 15 minutes we offer this curated selection of men's boxers"
From a curated wine selection to a curated selection of pocket lint I've heard it enough! :facepalm:

Ah, the fine art of curating artisanal melty cheeses at the Costco. Did I ever mention my peeve about artisanal food products? Or the use of "melty" for cheese? Nevermind. :)

According to their tracking it shows as an attempted delivery and was being held at a different post office at the request of the customer.

The Washington Post did a story on this a few months back (August 27, behind a paywall but it was on my Apple News feed), confirming what I had already suspected.

When a mail carrier cannot deliver a package on the day it was scheduled because their shift is ending, postal workers say, the system sometimes generates a misleading “held at the request of the customer” message.

I'm near the end of my mail carrier's route and have had this happen to me numerous times. I have even watched the mail truck stop at my mailbox and as it pulled away I got the message on my phone that my package had been "held at customer request."

It will likely show up in a day or so. You'll likely be wasting your time if you go to the post office and ask about it.

Hmm. You made me look. Our Bumble Bee tuna from Costco is in 5.1 oz cans and all varieties of pasta (both Barilla and San Georgio) are in 1 lb boxes.

But the ice cream thing is real and it stinks!

Yes Barilla still seems to maintains the 1 lb boxes and is our go to pasta anyway.
I don't shop at Costco because it is an hour away. I don't want a 6 or 8 ounce can of tuna because then it is too much. Boy, talk about 1st world problems.:LOL:
Yes that ice cream thing is real!

Ah, the fine art of curating artisanal melty cheeses at the Costco. Did I ever mention my peeve about artisanal food products? Or the use of "melty" for cheese? Nevermind. :)
I bet you're an "influencer".

I took action against one of my peeves this morning.

In a board meeting via Zoom, one of the members repeatedly referred to the women who work in our office as “the girls”. [emoji35]

I made a comment in the chat to please stop using that term; multiple other board members supported me.

The USPS is the most incompetent government agency.

They sure have gone downhill around here, used to be very reliable and I had no complaints. Until they lost an Amazon package, were late on an electric bill payment, and most recently lost an order from eBay (which the seller quickly arranged to replace). All in the last six weeks or so. This could be because of COVID as USGrant suggests, but when they start losing utility bill payments, to me that's serious.:( The family's Christmas cards arriving in January we can live with.

I did notice on the most recent electric bill that arrived today (from Potomac Edison/First Energy to give credit where it is due) that they did not assess the late fee that they would have been entitled to do since last month's payment was in fact late. BTW, I mailed the check on 12/14 and it finally cleared on 01/11, almost a whole month. This event gave us the incentive to finally set up online bill paying.

Relocated....its the most travel I've done in a while:

This is not a 'Peeve' per se, (more of a quizzical observation), but I didn't know where else to put it, and it certainly doesn't merit its own thread:

We don't watch TV, (although we do watch movies, etc, on our TV), but we often see brief vids online, (most often various politicians), with people 'signing' in the background.

I don't sign, and currently don't know anyone who does, but I have in days gone by had some passing exposure to it. The conversations I witnessed seemed to be straightforward hand signals, but nowadays the background 'signers' appear to be participating in inebriated games of charades, complete with overacted facial (or should it be 'farcical') expressions.

Since Close Captioning is readily available, it just makes me wonder if the pols are using the clowns to distract, rather than inform, the audience.
Actually, Deaf people do make use of a wide variety of facial expressions and they generally move their mouths when they communicate. Signed communication is much more efficient for the Deaf. The capital D in Deaf is deliberate, signalling a cultural recognition of the Deaf. Sign is also very subtle and many signs are very much like others; they depend on context. Captions are a fall back option for the Deaf, i.e., better than nothing. Also, as a hearing person, I can vouch that captions are not always accurate. I want to mention that your characterization of the interpreters' communication as "inebriated games of charades" and overacted "farcical" expression is deeply disrespectful of Deaf culture. That disrespect is one of MY pet peeves. Just because they can't hear does not make them any less deserving of human courtesy.

I should have read your answer before I posted mine. But I was peeved about the disrespect shown by the OP.

don't worry about it. Your comment was spot on. We all can learn more about the Deaf community. As a former work supervisor of people from the Deaf community, I have many stories about the cultural dissonance between Deaf and Hearing. Many of them were my fault. Until I learned better I thought the differences were only in communication. But the differences were also in culture.

Last edited:
don't worry about it. Your comment was spot on. We all can learn more about the Deaf community. As a former work supervisor of people from the Deaf community, I have many stories about the cultural dissonance between Deaf and Hearing. Many of them were my fault. Until I learned better I thought the differences were only in communication. But the differences were also in culture.
I'm a retired speech-language pathologist. I worked with some Deaf clients and made friends with an interpreter. One of her early comments to me was "Sign is my first language." I've never forgotten that. She was sometimes embarrassed when she didn't understand a word or term.

They sure have gone downhill around here, used to be very reliable and I had no complaints. Until they lost an Amazon package, were late on an electric bill payment, and most recently lost an order from eBay (which the seller quickly arranged to replace). All in the last six weeks or so. This could be because of COVID as USGrant suggests, but when they start losing utility bill payments, to me that's serious.:( The family's Christmas cards arriving in January we can live with.

I did notice on the most recent electric bill that arrived today (from Potomac Edison/First Energy to give credit where it is due) that they did not assess the late fee that they would have been entitled to do since last month's payment was in fact late. BTW, I mailed the check on 12/14 and it finally cleared on 01/11, almost a whole month. This event gave us the incentive to finally set up online bill paying.

Yup. We just had to call the gas company to credit a late payment penalty because we received the bill after it was due. We didn't even realize it until this month's bill came two days ago with a late charge. We received last month's bill last Saturday and paid it Monday. This month's bill arrived on Friday. And since ER and kids launched, DW has been paying the bills within a day or two of receipt.

We have a large CC bill due this week - we haven't received it in the mail yet.

One of my cherished life experiences is working directly with a deaf person. He could communicate with us through email, but he encouraged us to learn ASL, so he created his own classes at lunch time.

He was a great teacher. We learned everything without anyone speaking, and with no writing. We got to class, and he pointed at objects (nouns), did a few actions for verbs, and we were off and running.

The facial expressions were extremely important, including exaggerating our mouthing of associated words.

It was so satisfying to communicate with him. It also significantly improved our work flow. We all had so many laughs, especially when he "accidentally" taught us the word for "manager" and "sh.t" in the same lesson. :angel:

Sadly, as we parted ways, I lost my ability -- although I still know how to sign "My manager is sh..".

Last edited:
One of my cherished life experiences is working directly with a deaf person. He could communicate with us through email, but he encouraged us to learn ASL, so he created his own classes at lunch time.

When I was in high school, I spent a few weeks touring the country by bus with 30 other teens and six counselors. One counselor was deaf, and the other five were teachers at the same school for the deaf. We all learned at least a little bit of sign language and the close contact with a deaf person was an educational experience.

Don't recall much sign language these days, unfortunately.

In the grander scheme of things, especially these days, this pet peeve of mine is a nothing burger. Yet it still kinda bugs me whenever I see it. And I continue to see it to this day after it first caught my attention during that scene in the movie Sleepless in Seattle -- when Tom Hanks and Rob Reiner are walking down Virginia Street toward the Pike Place Market.

Tom Hanks has a paper cup of coffee. (From the original Starbucks in Pike Place?) It is supposed to contain some coffee but, to my eyes, the cup is obviously empty by the way it is being held by Hanks.

Over the years since, I often see in movies and on TV actors holding or drinking from a cup of coffee. But it almost always appears to be an empty cup, by the way it is being held by the actor. Or, almost as often, they will tilt a supposedly full cup of fresh coffee to their mouth by over a 45 degree angle, when in real life you'd tilt a full cup just a bit. (And it's almost always coffee--not milk or soda.) ;)

They are all empty, always. Watch their throats. As they pretend to drink, their throats don't move. When You swallow for real, your entire larynx moves. I have concluded that they film many takes and don't want to risk spills and/or taking a break for the actors to visit the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom