What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

My understanding is that the numbers are keyed to places where a front door theoretically "could be". So, for example, if I am 47 and my neighbor is 59, that means that there theoretically could be 5 other doors between us (49, 51, 53, 55 and 57), but there are not because we have property in the way. Therefore, where the houses are spread apart, the numbers increase a greater amount from one house to the next. Where the houses are close together, the numbers increase by a smaller amount (although always in increasing odd number on one side of the street, even on the other). I have heard that Napoleon invented the scheme, but I do not know for certain.

This scheme has given me an idea for a new brain teaser game. Forget WORDLE, how about ADDY? You are given a set of address numbers with a few that are blank and you have to figure it out. I don't think ANYONE would win. :LOL:

In my DW's tiny hometown her childhood home the physical address and Post Office address are in different towns. So for mail you address her street number and the nearby town. For physical deliveries, UPS, etc. you need to use the actual town. Confusing? Yep! And to make matters more confusing there is a Post Office 2 streets over from the house. Try to make Amazon or others understand that.

I don't think that's all that uncommon. Our last house had the same situation, and to make it worse they were also in different counties with different sales tax rates. It was interesting for online orders. For years the only company that had it figured out correctly was Apple. When I ordered something from them and put in my address, the form immediately put up a selection for me to designate which county I was in.

My house is also known to people in town as "The Parker Place" after the name of the people who lived in it from about 1950 to 1990. Maybe after the young wife and I move out in another 20 years or so, people will start calling it "The Gumby Place". Interestingly, we are only the fifth family to live in the house in its 164 years

Try living in the Atlanta metroplex where I've lost count of the number of Peachtrees. Near my old neighborhood there was a North Peachtree Road and a Peachtree Road North. That was back when the mapmakers insisted on putting the cardinal direction after the name of the street, so the map showed North Peachtree Road as "Peachtree Rd. N." Or so I recall, I may have gotten that confused. :)

And I'm not sure why turning around in a driveway is such a big deal to some people, like the guy with the gun. I can see where large trucks would tear up a residential driveway over time, though.

Ah... the Peachtree streets of Atlanta! What fun! Years ago I was in a consulting business and had a very important meeting at client in downtown Atlanta. I asked the client where a very close/convenient place to stay would be and they recommended a hotel 'next door' to their building. So the morning of the meeting, I head to their building 'next door' at say 100 Peachtree St... I get to the elevator banks and cannot for the life of me find the elevators that go to the 35th floor. I ask the security/reception guy and he says "this is a 30 story building". LOL You want 100 Peachtree St. NW or some such thing and that's directly across the street.

so 100 Peachtree and 100 Peachtree NW are right across the street from each other... it's maddening down there with Peachtree streets!

My house is also known to people in town as "The Parker Place" after the name of the people who lived in it from about 1950 to 1990. Maybe after the young wife and I move out in another 20 years or so, people will start calling it "The Gumby Place". Interestingly, we are only the fifth family to live in the house in its 164 years

We have the same issue and I think you just need to wait for all the people that remember the Parkers to pass away unfortunately.

I've done the in-person tryouts for Jeopardy twice, and I can vouch for the fact that using the buzzer is very, very tricky. So don't hold it against them if they haven't got it down perfectly yet.

The way it works is that there is someone backstage with a button. The contestants' buzzers only get activated after he presses that button, and his job is to press it at the exact split second when the host finishes speaking the last word in the clue. If you press your buzzer a fraction of a second too soon, your buzzer stops working for a time (I forget whether it's a half second or a full second), which gives your opponents an advantage. So you have to wait for the answer to be completely spoken, and hope that the person with the button identifies that moment the same as you.

Not at all easy.

I am impressed, Braumeister! I knew that you had to buzz in after the MC finished reading the clue, but I didn't know there was a human with a device 'deciding' where that point in time was. I suppose I thought they had a computer that handled the gatekeeping. But I see now that if the human behind the scenes is 'slow on the draw' for a particular clue, the first contestant to buzz in could be ignored! Wow. Interesting.

I didn't know there was a human with a device 'deciding' where that point in time was.

Most of us thought like you, but it makes sense if you think about it. The person with the button has the same script as the host, so they know exactly what the last word in the answer is. Pressing the button the instant that word is completely pronounced by the host activates the contestants' buzzers, and it's hard to see how a computer with voice recognition would be any better at it.

My pet peeve today.......printing off some forms that have blank pages inserted every so often. They say "This page intentionally left blank." Then WHY include it in my set of paperwork :confused::confused:?!!!!!!!

My pet peeve today.......printing off some forms that have blank pages inserted every so often. They say "This page intentionally left blank." Then WHY include it in my set of paperwork :confused::confused:?!!!!!!!

Back in my flying days, part the recurrent checkride would include a "pubs check" (making sure flight manuals were up to date). I recall someone getting dinged because they removed all of those pages from their manuals. Ah, how I miss that buffoonery. :cool:

Weekend Complaints

I am a huge curmudgeon. Here is today's list to get you started. Feel free to get yours off your chest.

1. Needing one thing from the store
2. Rude drivers
3. Shopping carts in store aisles
4. Healthy people taking all handicapped spaces (I am amputee)
5. Driving too fast on residential streets (mine)
6. Running red lights/following cars through same

Ok I am home safe and done now. Have a good day

Hard to open shrink wrapped pork and venison sausage packages without cutting into the outside skin of the sausage. :facepalm:

I am a huge curmudgeon. Here is today's list to get you started. Feel free to get yours off your chest.

1. Needing one thing from the store
2. Rude drivers
3. Shopping carts in store aisles
4. Healthy people taking all handicapped spaces (I am amputee)
5. Driving too fast on residential streets (mine)
6. Running red lights/following cars through same

Ok I am home safe and done now. Have a good day

Sounds like one big collective peeve rolled into one. Efficiency!:D

thread merged

My neighbor thinks the same things about her small dogs. I beg to differ, they are actually cute and being protective/territorial. It’s their job!
:LOL: My dog is actually large and never aggressive toward strangers, just grumpy toward me when I make him go out in the cold or rain, brush his teeth or cut his nails.

Why do Amazon delivery drivers think it's ok to use someone's driveway to turn around. Not the person who they delivered to just some random driveway. It's especially bad when it's snow covered. It is far more difficult to shovel snow when it is packed down by a large vehicle. They should stay off other people's property unless they are the ones who ordered a package. Do a Y turn or go around the block.

I live just off a major 5 lane road, I'm not quite sure why but people seem to realize the are going the wrong direction and turn on my street and use my driveway to turn around. I have joked for years that I'm going to put up container with a slot and a sign that says $1 TURN AROUND FEE.

Oh! We don't have the car turn-around problem.

My peeve is we sit in row 2 at our local arena for sports games, and people use our row as an extra aisle! We need them to "go around," i.e. back out the through the entrance, technically known as the vomitory (seriously: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vomitory), and use the transport under the seats.

We used to have an enforcer for our row. She was from New York. She would stand up, make a block, and tell people to go the hell around. I miss her. The rest of us southern schmucks just let them walk all over us, literally.

Picture below of a typical vomitory. Wrong section? Go back and then around!
IMG_0056_edit.jpg

Last edited:
Angry, Impatient, Self-Centered

Lately it seems like the number of angry, impatient, and self-centered people is getting worse.

Saturday my wife and I went for a nice hike at the local park, then went out for dinner afterward. On the way home I was waiting at a stop sign when a pickup truck pulls up behind me and honks his horn. Whatever. I waited till traffic cleared then pulled out on the main road, with Mr. Pickup following closely. It's a 20mph school zone in a residential area. He's following close and after a few blocks starts weaving back and forth trying to make a point. I'm probably doing 5-10 over the limit already. I come up to the round about, slow down to look for oncoming cars, then proceed slowly through the round about. He starts laying on his horn constantly for like 30-45 seconds. The lane leaving the round about goes through a public park, with limited visibility at some of the crossings. It's a sunny day, people walking everywhere, so I slow down to make sure no one is crossing at the crosswalk. Mr Truck gets pissed, passes me in the bike lane on the right, nearly takes out the front corner of my car, stops in front of me and flips me off. Whatever, I'm not sure what ticked him off, but it sure ruined a nice day with the wife. He's lucky he didn't kill someone walking on the side of the road. Of course, then he proceeds at the same speed I was going anyway through the rest of the neighborhood. So stupid and pointless.

Next day, Sunday, the wife and I went grocery shopping. Busy day at the store, waiting in a line of cars to pull out of the lot onto the main road. Suddenly some lady decides I'm going too slow (like where am I going to go?), and passes me in the parking lot. Again, she nearly takes out the front of my car, nearly hits another car backing out, and ends up stopped right in front of me anyway. We sat behind her at the next two stop lights, and ended up going past her when we turned off. So impatient and dangerous and she didn't gain anything by behaving that way.

[mod edit]

It seems everyone only thinks about themselves. Me, Me, Me. Get out of my way. My time is more important than yours. If you don't like it I'll yell at you or worse. What happened to being nice? Patience is a virtue. Love your fellow man. Help those in need. Just being courteous.

Sheesh. I'm losing hope for humanity...

Last edited by a moderator:
We are entering year THREE of this pandemic. I think that is contributing to the not so pleasant behavior of others. Just when things are looking a bit better, Wham, another variant is on the horizon.
The best we can do is Be Kind, to ourselves and to others.
Take a deep breath, count to ten, smile and move on.

Yikes!

I view a roundabout as an opportunity to let the person behind me get in front of me! Just go around another time. :D

Back
Top Bottom