What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I wasn't even aware of that feature. That probably explains why it's become a much bigger issue over the last year or 2. Isn't technology great :mad:

I bought a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee last year that has the auto dimming, and it turns them back on when traffic has past (earlier versions didn't, you had to turn the high beams back on). I am VERY impressed with this feature, if a car approaches on a dark road even a half mile away, it sees it and dims the lights. And it sees car's taillights as I approach from a very far distance and dims the high beams.

Peeves being said about headlights, I find LED headlights to be VERY annoying, the cutoff is very poor and LOTS of glare when on low beams. I know that this is because the LED SMD is fairly large and without a point source light (like an arc like HID) it is difficult, if not impossible to beam form a good low beam cutoff. Maybe one day they will get better. The big pickup trucks are the worst for this.

I have posted in the past that I hate the adaptive cruise control in my 2019 Avalon. However, the auto-dim technology is amazing. I always look to see if it has dimmed the lights in time and it is always one step ahead of me. It seems to also see cars going perpendicular to me and dims the lights prior to them turning and heading towards me. It's amazing. I does get faked out by some very reflective road signs from time-to-time.:LOL:

Pet peeve of day is people walking 4 or 5 abreast in crowded congested sidewalks. Forces me to wait for an opening to quickly pass the group but often the group of that stature moves erratically and they are almost always moving slower then the average of smaller 1 or 2 person groups. Not much I can do but it bothers me sometimes.

I have posted in the past that I hate the adaptive cruise control in my 2019 Avalon. ......
I only recently realized that my Highlander can operate in adaptive cruise control mode or the old fashioned "hold a steady speed regardless" mode. I have to hold the lever in for a few seconds to get to the old fashioned mode.

Pet peeve of day is people walking 4 or 5 abreast in crowded congested sidewalks. Forces me to wait for an opening to quickly pass the group but often the group of that stature moves erratically and they are almost always moving slower then the average of smaller 1 or 2 person groups. Not much I can do but it bothers me sometimes.

Ah yes...the same group who are likely "gate fleas" at the airport. Nothing like people in "Group 18" lining up during pre-boarding and line up ALL THE WAY across the walk way to the gate across the way. :mad:

When I worked in NYC, my office was at 46th and 6th. I would go over to Times Square to catch the subway down to Bowling Green to go to the Bankruptcy Court. Inevitably, there would be a huge gaggle of tourists clogging the sidewalk as they all looked upwards. And, unlike New Yorkers, they have not developed the instinct of sliding by each other easily. It was maddening at times, especially if I was cutting it close on timing.

I try to remember that when I am traveling in some one else's city - "I'm on vacation, these people are trying to get their work done."

Last edited:
"gate fleas" at the airport

I'm filing that phrase away for future use. Nice!

One reason I've only traveled by air 2 times over the last 10 years.

Anyone else find it annoying, when you ask someone a direct, easy to understand question, either by email or text and when they respond, they don’t answer the question ? You’re just staring at the response on the screen, thinking, Well what about the ? Uggh

Anyone else find it annoying, when you ask someone a direct, easy to understand question, either by email or text and when they respond, they don’t answer the question ? You’re just staring at the response on the screen, thinking, Well what about the ? Uggh

Yes! Annoying. Usually I don't ask them to clarify unless it is important. They must be avoiding answering the question for some reason. Or maybe they are just rude and lazy, lol! It is annoying! I can neither confirm nor deny, lol.

Ah yes...the same group who are likely "gate fleas" at the airport. Nothing like people in "Group 18" lining up during pre-boarding and line up ALL THE WAY across the walk way to the gate across the way. :mad:

It used to be worse pre 911 when anyone could go to the airport.

Yup, throngs of people hugging their newly arrived member right at the door of the jetway.

Move the "F" out the way so we can all get off the plane!

That is how you can tell if they plan to run for office in the future... :hide:

I have tool that I got in the early 80s. Best tool I have ever had for stripping magnet wire. It broke about 10 years ago, but I managed to get it together enough to be happy with it's operation. About 5 years ago it failed to an unusable point. I looked into the buying another but it was $50 for a small hand tool. I put it off and put it off. Last we I decided I want it. I called the company talked with the salesman, I told him it looked a little different, he assured me they bought the rights to build the tool from the previous manufacturer and it was built according to the prints. I got the tool, my first peeve, $25.72 for ups shipping. Their box is 4" x 4" x 6" and weighs less then a pound. Shipped from Ohio to Florida.
The second, the blades are a thinner metal and dimpled to provide extra support.Third they went with a roll pin rather than the cast support, Fourth they used screws 1/3 the size to hold the blades. And the real deal breaker, the original had a flat cutting edge, the remake has a curved cutting edge that makes it unusable for 95% of the wire I strip.It really is a paper weight for me. I sent an email, so far one day, no response.

Last edited:
......... I called the company talked with the salesman, I told him it looked a little different, he assured me they bought the rights to build the tool from the previous manufacturer and it was built according to the prints. .............
Wait - you found something made in the USA?

Latest pet peeve is the growing number of websites that seem to have logic to see when you are about to click the X to close the page and it instantly pops up a message begging you not to go. Slightly less annoying if that message provides you with a coupon code, but still.

At the beer store I like to check out all the recent additions to the 'on sale' rack. For the last year or so, some of the beer will NOT have the alcohol listed anywhere. Not on the packaging, not on the bottle or can. Nowhere. And this not the alcohol-free stuff. I guess they think it is a cool new trend to not list the alcohol content? What is their problem? Lots of folks want low alcohol, some (like me) want high alcohol. Am I supposed to whip out my tablet and google around for that info?

At the beer store I like to check out all the recent additions to the 'on sale' rack. For the last year or so, some of the beer will NOT have the alcohol listed anywhere. Not on the packaging, not on the bottle or can. Nowhere. And this not the alcohol-free stuff. I guess they think it is a cool new trend to not list the alcohol content? What is their problem? Lots of folks want low alcohol, some (like me) want high alcohol. Am I supposed to whip out my tablet and google around for that info?
According to Federal guide lines, breweries haven't had to list alcohol content since 1995. State laws may require the alcohol content be listed. So, yes, you will have to google around for that info.

According to Federal guide lines, breweries haven't had to list alcohol content since 1995. State laws may require the alcohol content be listed. So, yes, you will have to google around for that info.

I don't bother to google it, I just don't buy it, lol.

This one has me scratching my head...?

Years ago, my Social Security card vanished. Actually, I haven't seen it in 50+ years. OK, so when I moved to Texas in 1992, I go to get my driver's license and they ask for my SS card, which I don't have. Somehow, I had enough of the right I.D. and a California driver's license to get the new one.

But I made a mental note to get a replacement SS card someday. Well, a few years ago, I tried and had to go to the nearest SS office and apply. I went, and saw 75+ people ahead of me (why were they there?...not too many looked "old" enough). So I left.

Recently, I found out you can order a replacement online! :dance:

So I went ahead and did that will very little, if any, trouble.

The card came this week and I was ready to get it into my wallet for future showing!

The instructions for the card were as follows:

1. Immediately sign it in ink
2. Do not laminate this card
3. Never carry it with you!

What? Never carry this SS card with you? What? Are you kidding me? After all these years of NEEDING the card, I can't show it to anybody outside of my secure location?

Absolutely nuts!

Bottom line.....having the physical SS card is not necessary.:facepalm:

Last edited:
Bottom line.....having the physical SS card is not necessary.:facepalm:

Never, never underestimate a bureaucracy.

About 15 years ago, we needed new driver's licenses for some reason (I forget the exact circumstances). The Ohio motor vehicle office insisted on seeing our SS cards. OK, no problem. I still have my original card.

Nope, unacceptable. I had laminated it when I got it, so they refused to accept it. I still don't understand why. Not only that, but they demanded that the new replacement card should be still attached to the larger card and not separated to make it wallet size.

Nothing to do but spend a pleasant afternoon in the SS office waiting room to get a new card. :facepalm:

Since then, we have needed to show them a couple of times, most recently when we upgraded to Real ID driver's licenses. So we keep our new SS cards safely stored along with our passports.

About 15 years ago, we needed new driver's licenses for some reason (I forget the exact circumstances). The Ohio motor vehicle office insisted on seeing our SS cards. OK, no problem. I still have my original card.

Nope, unacceptable. I had laminated it when I got it, so they refused to accept it. I still don't understand why. Not only that, but they demanded that the new replacement card should be still attached to the larger card and not separated to make it wallet size.

Nothing to do but spend a pleasant afternoon in the SS office waiting room to get a new card. :facepalm:

Since then, we have needed to show them a couple of times, most recently when we upgraded to Real ID driver's licenses. So we keep our new SS cards safely stored along with our passports.

Looks like I screwed up and separated the card from the lager card by tearing it on the perforations. UGH!:facepalm:

When I wanted to get my RealID, I saw they needed the SS card, and another ID like my passport.

So, I go to the SS office. Show my passport, birth certificate (which I needed for the passport in the first place) and current DL, and they give me a new card.

I go to the license office and show the new card and passport (and of course the old DL). I get my Real ID.

See any circular logic in this?:facepalm:

I had laminated it when I got it, so they refused to accept it. I still don't understand why.

As a teenager, I took a razor blade to my driver's license to carefully cut out and the number 9 in my bday, swap it around and put it back in place as a 6. Voila I was old enough to buy beer (ok wine coolers, it was the 80's). Also knew to do it in the DL number itself, as the year is part of the number. The trick was to be super careful, and get the altered result laminated. (and then of course, declare it lost and get a replacement for official usage).

Even though a paper SS might be harder to physically alter, lamination hides things pretty well, so I can see why they don't allow it. Because of devious people like me lol!

But not detached from the paper...that's extra silly.

Back
Top Bottom