What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I think it's crazy to be driving down the road at 35mph, and you slam on the brakes when someone approaches a crosswalk?! Not safe for cars behind me or me.

Are you aware that it is possible to be aware of pedestrians approaching/crossing your path and stop without SLAMMING on your brakes?

Last edited:
Are you aware that it is possible to be aware of pedestrians approaching/crossing your path and stop without SLAMMING on your brakes?

+1

As a driver one should be looking well down the road and be aware of a potential pedestrian in the crosswalk well before having to slam on the brakes. Most pedestrians are not hiding in bushes near the crosswalk and then jumping out and making a mad dash as cars are approaching :).

+1

As a driver one should be looking well down the road and be aware of a potential pedestrian in the crosswalk well before having to slam on the brakes. Most pedestrians are not hiding in bushes near the crosswalk and then jumping out and making a mad dash as cars are approaching :).

My car has cameras and night sensing radar to pick these hidden people out!!!

(not really)

OK, if you want to really learn about keeping your eyes and senses on alert when driving, there is a video that I had to watch during my defensive driving course (for my ticket) that is put out for tractor trailer drivers who drive those 40,000+ pound rigs. It teaches you to keep aware of what's happening, or probably going to happen, 1/4 mile down the road. Excellent teaching aide.

Jeopardy contestants who apparently are unable to buzz in properly. I'm tired of the current champion winning every single night, and I wait for an easy question that even I know the answer to, hoping one of the non-champions will get it right. 'Name two members of the Beatles'. Come on, guys, you have to get this one! Nope, the champion buzzes in first, and the winning continues. Why can't they learn how to use a buzzer? Easy questions, too slow on the buzzer. So annoying.

I live in a college town, many of these students, with their head full of mush, walk around with their cell phone in use, have no idea where they are, and in proximity to anything, and don't look up. We have non intersection crosswalks in front of buildings, in which students take a willy nilly left/right hand step off the sidewalk with no intention of crossing.

App only remote start of car.

Was very close to paying for a new Genesis G90, last week. A few hours before initiating wire transfer for the full cash $$$$ cost, took a look at Genesis forum. Discovered that one can only do remote start via "Connected services" app on a smart phone.
Dealer confirmed, no remote start via Fob. And after three years, must have subscription for service. Yeccch!

Cancelled deal, will not put up with having to use smart phone for a purpose that a button on a Fob will accomplish.
Looked at new Jaguar, ditto. Seems some manufacturers are wanting an ongoing revenue stream.
I sold my 2012 Caddy, looks like I'll get another one, with Fob button remote start.

And another peeve. Since the dashboard of new ones IMHO are pure ugly, with a video screen looking like it was flung on the dashboard, likely go with a two year old CT6 twin turbo.

Was very close to paying for a new Genesis G90, last week. A few hours before initiating wire transfer for the full cash $$$$ cost, took a look at Genesis forum. Discovered that one can only do remote start via "Connected services" app on a smart phone.
Dealer confirmed, no remote start via Fob. And after three years, must have subscription for service. Yeccch!

Cancelled deal, will not put up with having to use smart phone for a purpose that a button on a Fob will accomplish.
Looked at new Jaguar, ditto. Seems some manufacturers are wanting an ongoing revenue stream.
I sold my 2012 Caddy, looks like I'll get another one, with Fob button remote start.

And another peeve. Since the dashboard of new ones IMHO are pure ugly, with a video screen looking like it was flung on the dashboard, likely go with a two year old CT6 twin turbo.

As with all new Huyndai/Kia machines, the Blue Link stuff, they give you three years free, but then it's a charge. I declined to accept the free three years when we bought our new Tuscon, but I don't care about remote start or other features that the remote service offers.

Jeopardy contestants who apparently are unable to buzz in properly.

I've done the in-person tryouts for Jeopardy twice, and I can vouch for the fact that using the buzzer is very, very tricky. So don't hold it against them if they haven't got it down perfectly yet.

The way it works is that there is someone backstage with a button. The contestants' buzzers only get activated after he presses that button, and his job is to press it at the exact split second when the host finishes speaking the last word in the clue. If you press your buzzer a fraction of a second too soon, your buzzer stops working for a time (I forget whether it's a half second or a full second), which gives your opponents an advantage. So you have to wait for the answer to be completely spoken, and hope that the person with the button identifies that moment the same as you.

Not at all easy.

I've done the in-person tryouts for Jeopardy twice, and I can vouch for the fact that using the buzzer is very, very tricky. So don't hold it against them if they haven't got it down perfectly yet.

Not at all easy.

Very true. The current champion has had A LOT of practice buzzing in.

Continual barrage of CVS robocalls. Enough to drive me crazy. Finally found a number to supposedly opt out, although of course I don't ever recall opting in.

I seem to spend at least part of every day doing such things as attempting to opt out of unsolicited calls, texts, or e-mails. What a time waster.

Every champion I've ever heard interviewed says that's the hardest part. Knowing the answer is one thing, but pressing the buzzer while your brain is still pulling it up is another. The key is to press the buzzer when you that know you know the answer, even though your brain needs another second or two to get it to your mouth. Your finger needs to work faster than your brain, which is quite a trick.

Continual barrage of CVS robocalls. Enough to drive me crazy. Finally found a number to supposedly opt out, although of course I don't ever recall opting in.

I seem to spend at least part of every day doing such things as attempting to opt out of unsolicited calls, texts, or e-mails. What a time waster.

This is the main reason I have a "junk" number that I have parked on Numberbarn. I use it for almost ALL my business relationships so any texts are just forwarded to my email. My primary phone number is carefully guarded state secret. :D

Discovered that one can only do remote start via "Connected services" app on a smart phone.
I'm so happy my 2010 truck only unlocks with the actual key. It works every time. Of course, I also like the hand-crank windows and the clutch pedal too. Since I do not own a smartphone, I would never get a vehicle that required a phone interface. :D

My DW has a 2019 Highlander Hybrid with a regular keyfob. Her previous Kia Sorrento had remote start that I used some in winter if we were going to go somewhere. The best thing about her Highlander is the way you just walk up and touch the door handle to unlock and open it. as long as you have the fob in your pocket. One day early on after we bought it we got home and I had decided to go over to camper for something. She didn't want to go so I let her out and went on. I have high frequency hearing loss so I didn't hear the little chime telling me that no key was detected, ooops. After checking the camper I got back in the car and of course it wouldn't start. She had to get in my big camper pulling 4x4 Ram pick up and bring me a key. She had never driven my truck, and let me know if I pulled that bonehead move again I might be walking back home, so now if we go in her vehicle we each have our fob with us. My Ram also has a fob but I have to manually get it out of my pocket and click it.

I moved pharmacies because of this. I called them and warned them 2 times. Each time they said the calls would stop. After that didn't work, I transferred to my local grocery store pharmacy where they never spam me.

Pet Peeve solved.

When I transferred, the new pharmacist said they were very cranky at CVS that I was transferring, and kind of gave her gruff during the process.

Last edited:
Pet Peeve solved.

When I transferred, the new pharmacist said they were very cranky at CVS that I was transferring, and kind of gave her gruff during the process.

I also transferred from CVS to Walgreens, who so far has been good. CVS was getting to be not only a PITA to deal with but staff at three different doc's offices told me they had more issues/problems with CVS than all others combined. This was not a surprise.

It's been about a year or more now and I have noticed that I don't see the staff turnover that I did at CVS. At CVS some new hires only lasted days, only one more than a year. That speaks volumes about what it's like working there.

I learned in high school that with the right group of people even a crappy job can be somewhat entertaining if not outright fun.

Funny. I transferred recently from Walgreens to CVS. Our local Walgreens is an absolute nightmare in terms of pharmacy service and has been for years. It is much worse now. I haven't encountered that kind of incompetence at CVS (yet). I did manage to get a live person on the national CVS phone line yesterday and made sure all communications would stop. We'll see.

The CVS ridiculously long receipts drive me crazy. Just nuts. What a poor business model.

Last edited:
We get the CVS robocalls as well, suggesting that we fill our subscriptions there. The issue is: 1) we don't have any subscriptions and 2) if we did, our retiree health plan requires that we fill them at CVS. I would think that CVS should have both these pieces of information and stop calling me, but that is apparently beyond their ken.

We get the CVS robocalls as well, suggesting that we fill our subscriptions there. The issue is: 1) we don't have any subscriptions and 2) if we did, our retiree health plan requires that we fill them at CVS. I would think that CVS should have both these pieces of information and stop calling me, but that is apparently beyond their ken.
Maybe because your plan requires you to fill them at CVS they somehow got your information?

Maybe because your plan requires you to fill them at CVS they somehow got your information?
That is where we have always gotten our flu shots, so we are in their computer. I have also got prescriptions there for a course of antibiotics for strep throat and a tick bite, and for colonoscopy prep stuff. But we do not and have not ever had a maintenance-type drug prescriptions, so their call does little more than annoy me.

That is where we have always gotten our flu shots, so we are in their computer. I have also got prescriptions there for a course of antibiotics for strep throat and a tick bite, and for colonoscopy prep stuff. But we do not and have not ever had a maintenance-type drug prescriptions, so their call does little more than annoy me.

Wow, they are aggressive! So imagine the rest of us who had prescriptions there. They *really* annoy you then. They will refill stuff you don't ask for and tell you to come pick them up. They will robocall you. All kinds of aggressive tactics. And now we find out one can be put on the list for a flu shot. That's too much.

I don't like when people come up to my door unannounced to try to sell stuff. I've had 3 different companies in the last week or so and at least one most other weeks from the cable company to a basement repair place and a window replacement place and bathroom remodelling. Seems inappropriate to be "cold knocking" completely unsolicited like that. Really bothers me. **Get off my lawn, and my porch and my driveway....**

Why do Amazon delivery drivers think it's ok to use someone's driveway to turn around. Not the person who they delivered to just some random driveway. It's especially bad when it's snow covered. It is far more difficult to shovel snow when it is packed down by a large vehicle. They should stay off other people's property unless they are the ones who ordered a package. Do a Y turn or go around the block.

I don't like when people come up to my door unannounced to try to sell stuff. I've had 3 different companies in the last week or so and at least one most other weeks from the cable company to a basement repair place and a window replacement place and bathroom remodelling. Seems inappropriate to be "cold knocking" completely unsolicited like that. Really bothers me. **Get off my lawn, and my porch and my driveway....**

It really bugs me when it's the scammers/thieves pretending to be repair people as then I can't even get my cable fixed :LOL:

Why do Amazon delivery drivers think it's ok to use someone's driveway to turn around. Not the person who they delivered to just some random driveway. It's especially bad when it's snow covered. It is far more difficult to shovel snow when it is packed down by a large vehicle. They should stay off other people's property unless they are the ones who ordered a package. Do a Y turn or go around the block.

Because they have a mess load of deliveries to make and a short time to do it. I am not saying it's right...but just what it is. Same as them delivering to USPS boxes which is against the law...but they do it quite often around these parts.

Back
Top Bottom