What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

When you are on my street and get just to my driveway, it appears that the road dives down into the harbor. It doesn't; there is a sharp curve at the bottom but you can't see it. So if people have never been on my street before, they sometimes stop and turn around in my driveway. I don't mind, as long as they don't park there.

People with very loud vehicles that roar down the street in the early hours of the morning.

People with very loud vehicles that roar down the street in the early hours of the morning.

I have a neighbor with an illegal exhaust and he revs the engine all day and all night. He floors it and goes 40+ on a short 25mph road. I have had to resort to setting up a sleeping place in the basement so I can sometimes sleep thru his noise. Police say they can't do anything about it. If I had nothing to lose, that person would no longer be breathing.

I have a neighbor with an illegal exhaust and he revs the engine all day and all night. He floors it and goes 40+ on a short 25mph road. I have had to resort to setting up a sleeping place in the basement so I can sometimes sleep thru his noise. Police say they can't do anything about it. If I had nothing to lose, that person would no longer be breathing.

So much for noise ordinances! :mad:

We have baseboard heat, and the heater in the bedroom would resonate with the vehicle's roar. I managed to silence it by shimming the front panel, but the noise still wakes us up many mornings.

I'm tempted to hide under our big umbrella-shaped maple with a pellet gun and put a few ticks in his paint job.

Thirty years ago, I lived in Nor Cal and one of the news stories I remember from that town was on this topic. There was a dead end street in town and a guy with a loud car lived at the far end. He would race up and down the street, disturbing everyone. One day he crashed into a tree and was no more. But when to medical examiner looked at him, he had a bullet in him. None of the neighbors saw or heard anything at all.

I very much dislike when people use other peoples driveways to turn around in

Agree.
We have had so many folks turn in ours, DH finally put an orange cone up.
Folks wouldn't just be in the driveway, they would swing wide and go over the edge, smash the grass and flower beds:facepalm:

Agree.
We have had so many folks turn in ours, DH finally put an orange cone up.
Folks wouldn't just be in the driveway, they would swing wide and go over the edge, smash the grass and flower beds:facepalm:

This is the literal implementation of "get off my lawn!"... :D

I really hate it when I'm searching the web on my phone and just as I am about to touch a link, an ad is inserted that I hit instead and it sends me off somewhere I don't want to go.

My phone is Android and I haven't found any plug in ad blocker that works well with Android Chrome, like AdBlocker Plus does on my Windows computer.

^^^^
Check out "NextDNS" - might do the trick by filtering what comes to your device in the first place. I have been using it for several months and it's very good at keeping all the noise off my devices.

People who use way too many paper towels in the gym locker room. A couple ladies at my gym take 20-30 paper towels, or more, and use them to squeeze the water out of their swimsuits. Why not bring a small towel from home? Some also stash them in their gym bag, presumably to use at home. I shoot annoyed glances at these ladies from time to time, to no avail.

I very much dislike when people use other peoples driveways to turn around in. Am I the only one that thinks it's inconsiderate to go onto other peoples property? It is even worse when it is winter and there is snow in the driveway. If someone drives on the driveway before it gets cleared then their tires pack down the snow and it is 10X harder to clear that part of the driveway. For those like me that have chronic pain issues it is a big deal. Just stay off other peoples property please. I don't think that is too much to ask.

I agree it is very inconsiderate especially if they drive over landscaping at the edge of the drive.
We have a similar problem with people/businesses that park in front of our driveway so we can't get out. Mostly it is lawn service, construction vehicles, plumbers, electricians, etc. What is wrong with people?

Cheers!

People who use way too many paper towels in the gym locker room. A couple ladies at my gym take 20-30 paper towels, or more, and use them to squeeze the water out of their swimsuits. Why not bring a small towel from home? Some also stash them in their gym bag, presumably to use at home. I shoot annoyed glances at these ladies from time to time, to no avail.
We can always go back to the early COVID days when people used to break into the public dispensers for hand sanitizer gel and wipes and take the whole supply. Fun times! :mad:

We can always go back to the early COVID days when people used to break into the public dispensers for hand sanitizer gel and wipes and take the whole supply. Fun times! :mad:

Yeah, like the best way to avoid the spread of a virus is to hoard all the preventative products yourself!

We have a similar problem with people/businesses that park in front of our driveway so we can't get out. Mostly it is lawn service, construction vehicles, plumbers, electricians, etc. What is wrong with people?

Call the police and ask if there is a local parking regulation prohibiting that. Where I used to work there was such an ordinance. Having their truck ticketed and towed away will stop that behavior quickly.

People with very loud vehicles that roar down the street [-]in the early hours of the morning[/-] at all hours throughout the night.

+1000

This has gotten really bad over the past few years in my neck of the woods (metro Atlanta suburbs). Hardly a single night goes by that I'm not lying in bed hearing the obnoxiously loud engine rumbles and muffler roars from street racers off in the distance.

New, apparently extremely paranoid neighbors.
Have no idea what they do for a living. Never met them, nor do I have any interest in doing so.
Shortly after moving in, they hired an electrician, took a week or so to install lights near the soffit of the house, all around. Plus a pole light at the beginning of the driveway and a bright ones between garage doors and over the entry door. Including lights on the shed in their back yard.
There is one light ever 4 feet on the outside walls, all exterior lights turn on before dusk and turn off around 8 AM.
Looks like the spaceship Enterprise coming in for a landing.
For all I know they probably have video cameras recording every inch of their property and likely the street 24/7.
I do not need to turn on any outside lights at night ever.
Between theirs and nearby all those of other neigbors' lights my house is lit up all around.
What I need to do is close heavy curtains to pretend it is really night time.:D

Last edited:
I agree it is very inconsiderate especially if they drive over landscaping at the edge of the drive.

In my city, a driver with a passenger parked in someone's driveway. The homeowner came out with a gun and asked him to leave. An altercation ensued, and the homeowner shot the driver, killing him. The shooting seems a little over the top, though all the details of the incident haven't been released yet, whether the driver was armed too, or what. But why wouldn't you leave someone's property when asked? SMH...

Too bad the gym doesn't invest in one of those centrifugal dryers- you load the suit into it, close the lid, push the button and it spins like mad, wringing out most of the water. As for the pilfering, my DB and DSIL belong to a small sailing club and they try to keep the locker rooms equipped with paper towels, TP, hygiene products, etc. and have had to put up signs politely advising members that these are NOT there for them to supply their boats.

Mine for today: food labels that back into a serving size that produces attractive nutritional information. I picked up a bag of frozen brussels sprouts with bacon bits in Costco. It was 90 calories per serving. The big bag included 4 individual pouches. Total number of servings: 13.:mad:

They just had to get it under 100, didn't they?

Last edited:
... ...
Mine for today: food labels that back into a serving size that produces attractive nutritional information. I picked up a bag of frozen brussels sprouts with bacon bits in Costco. It was 90 calories per serving. The big bag included 4 individual pouches. Total number of servings: 13.:mad:

They just had to get it under 100, didn't they?

My peeve is those products that come in 3 serving sizes. Can't you make it 2 or 4. I have some pulled pork in the fridge that will only serve one person but that's OK since I'll take that opportunity for some chicken noodle soup and DH can have the 'left over' pulled pork!

IMG_4659.JPG

My pet peeve for today are intruders cutting through my property without permission!

New, apparently extremely paranoid neighbors.
Have no idea what they do for a living. Never met them, nor do I have any interest in doing so.
Shortly after moving in, they hired an electrician, took a week or so to install lights near the soffit of the house, all around. Plus a pole light at the beginning of the driveway and a bright ones between garage doors and over the entry door. Including lights on the shed in their back yard.
There is one light ever 4 feet on the outside walls, all exterior lights turn on before dusk and turn off around 8 AM.
Looks like the spaceship Enterprise coming in for a landing.
For all I know they probably have video cameras recording every inch of their property and likely the street 24/7.
I do not need to turn on any outside lights at night ever.
Between theirs and nearby all those of other neigbors' lights my house is lit up all around.
What I need to do is close heavy curtains to pretend it is really night time.:D

A couple of my neighbors leave very bright security lights on all night long. Actually, I *love* it because I get the security advantage of having outside lights, but I don't have to pay for the electricity for them! Security for LBYM'ers. It's easy to totally block light from coming in my windows, so their lights don't bother me. They just save me money. :D

I know it's a pet (correction!) peeve thread, but I just had to counter this with a 'good neighbor' comment.

The guy just across and one house down has a pretty large truck that he parks at home and drives to work each workday early AM. When he returns in the late afternoon, he backs in - so you hear the annoying back-up alert beeper, but it's 4PM, so no big deal.

So now, he can pull out in the early AM, no beeper. And his driveway slopes down, so he pulls out very quietly, no revving of that big truck engine. Very considerate (and I assume this is intentionally thought out, not just coincidence).

-ERD50

Last edited:
I know it's a pert peeve thread, but I just had to counter this with a 'good neighbor' comment.

The guy just across and one house down has a pretty large truck that he parks at home and drives to work each workday early AM. When he returns in the late afternoon, he backs in - so you hear the annoying back-up alert beeper, but it's 4PM, so no big deal.

So now, he can pull out in the early AM, no beeper. And his driveway slopes down, so he pulls out very quietly, no revving of that big truck engine. Very considerate (and I assume this is intentionally thought out, not just coincidence).

-ERD50

Want to trade houses? Haha

These happened years ago but reading another post brought back these memories:

One time selling our weekend property we all were at closing waiting on the bank's rep to show up an hour late. He walked in and sat down. Looked at the closing docs and then said "wait, I see there was termite damage years ago. We'll need a certified inspection." I looked at him for a few seconds then loudly said as I was standing up and gathering my stuff ready to walk out "and who is going to pay for that? We've been waiting for you for an hour to show up and you haven't even looked over the docs until now?" My DW had to grab me and calm me down so I could return to my seat! After a short discussion I said that the banker guy had to find someone this morning to do an inspection or the deal was off. The buyer's agent was able to find a termite guy to do the inspection that morning. We closed after lunch that same day and the banker guy was very apologetic.
Geez! he could at least have looked at the docs before coming to closing.

Back
Top Bottom